Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm attempting to resurrect a 2007 daytona that's been sitting in a garage for the last 10 yrs. Apparently it ran great until the day it was parked. Everything appears normal, all the usual suspects have been cleaned/drained/filled. The issue i'm having with it now is that it cranks but won't start (common thread i know). The fuel pump isn't priming as it should for 3 sec after turning the ignition to on. The pump works great when direct connected to a battery, and the connector to the pump on the bike shows 12.5V for 3 sec as expected. Btw, this is an older model daytona with no fuel pump relay.

I hate to ask because i'm afraid of the answer but could the ECU be dead?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's almost never an ECU problem. They just basically don't go bad by sitting. There are plenty of used ones on eBay and they're less than $200 if need to swap yours out.

First thing I'd do is disconnect the fuel line from the tank (run it into a jar) and then cycle the ignition. If you're not getting the proper amount of fuel it's the fuel pump.

Putting power directly to it just shows the pump motor works. I suspect it's clogged. Even if you're getting some fuel it could be restricted and so can't maintain the proper pressure to trigger the injectors.

I had this exact issue on a Speed Triple and a pump swap fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was getting a bit scared that the ECU was toast, i had read elsewhere that the factory added a fuel pump relay because the ECU couldn't source the current required to run the pump. Turns out the problem was an intermittent fuel pump plug/harness, got that sorted and the bike fired right up with the new fuel pump (the old one had sat in fuel for 10yrs, it was basically solid).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The FP relay was a recall. Triumph added mine for free.
Thought I should get back to you guys to close this thread out. Earlier I thought had the intermittent fuel pump figured out but it turned out to be trickier than I originally thought. The internal connector on the wiring from the pump motor to the inside of the pump case (a little two pin Molex?) turned out to be the culprit. The copper crimp connectors corroded sometime during the 10yr storage and became intermittent, and by that I mean the pump would prime 1 out of every 5 key turns. Drove me nuts finding that, i was able to solder the crimp connectors and get it to work reliably but will likely look for a new pump internal power cable with connector.

If anyone can identify this connector I'd appreciate the assist, i'm sure it's couple bucks by itself.
Finger Thumb Jewellery Nail Metal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts