Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

So after a few months off the road, I came back to my bike and noticed that the front brakes had nothing. Not overly surprised given the lack of use so proceeded to bleed the master cylinder. Brakes felt firm and I rode the bike to work and back. About 4 days later I went to use the bike and again, the front brakes had no pressure at all. Must be air trapped I thought. So I did a full rebleed of all three points. I cable tied the lever overnight to hold pressure and brakes felt great for a few days after that. Unfortunately though, I went to use the bike this morning and same thing, front brakes had lost about half their pressure in the space of about 3 or 4 days.

Has anyone here had a similar issue and / or know what might be causing the problem. What are some of the things I should consider doing and in what order? I can do the work myself, just don't have the experience when it comes to troubleshooting yet.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Terence

·
Super Moderator
2,122 Posts
Moisture in the line (NOT air, but moisture, from cold, warm, cold, etc)? Using the same "old" bottle of brake fluid when bleeding? Go buy a new, fresh bottle. Got a hole in the line? What about a bleeder that isn't tight? Also take your wheel off, and check your calipers, they might need a re-build.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
The first thing you should do is check for a leak. Put soapy water around the bleeders, banjo bolts and crimps. It should bubble around the leak eventually.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moisture in the line (NOT air, but moisture, from cold, warm, cold, etc)? Using the same "old" bottle of brake fluid when bleeding? Go buy a new, fresh bottle. Got a hole in the line? What about a bleeder that isn't tight? Also take your wheel off, and check your calipers, they might need a re-build.
Thanks! I used a brand new bottle and the breeders were definitely tight. I suspect they may even have been too tight from the last service as I almost stripped them trying to undo them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first thing you should do is check for a leak. Put soapy water around the bleeders, banjo bolts and crimps. It should bubble around the leak eventually.
Thanks! Sounds like a good idea. When you say eventually, are you talking overnight or within minutes? Do I need to pump the brakes or just wet it and leave it and check later. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Somewhere in between. I would check after half an hour, then again after an hour.

Over-tightening the bleeders is no good. They're steel and the calipers are aluminum, so the bleeders will win every time. You may be in for a caliper swap. Let us know how the soapy water goes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Somewhere in between. I would check after half an hour, then again after an hour.

Over-tightening the bleeders is no good. They're steel and the calipers are aluminum, so the bleeders will win every time. You may be in for a caliper swap. Let us know how the soapy water goes.
Will do! I was annoyed when I saw how tight the last guys did the nipples. The calipers weren't actually toooo bad but the MC certainly was tight as hell. Let's see how we go with soapy water. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is usually a sign the master cylinder cup is going. Time to rebuild or replace the master cylinder.
I thought this initially but wasn't sure. Glad to know it's possible. Will try the soap and water when I get home and if nothing comes from that I'll look at getting an RC19 as can get a pretty good price on one atm. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally managed to make some progress on this.. I bled the brakes every four hours for about a day and this seems to have helped. I think a complete flush is what was needed in the end.

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts