Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '11 Daytona has been sitting for longer than I care to admit, and when I pulled it out today I noticed that the front brake lever has a lot more play in it than I remember; the brakes do grab, but with two-finger braking I could hit the lever against my other two knuckles. I don't see any signs of a leak and the fluid level is still OK, could air have still worked its way in there somehow after not being ridden? I opened the cap and tied the lever back to try and squeeze any air out so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow, but it concerns me not knowing how that happened.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My '11 Daytona has been sitting for longer than I care to admit, and when I pulled it out today I noticed that the front brake lever has a lot more play in it than I remember; the brakes do grab, but with two-finger braking I could hit the lever against my other two knuckles. I don't see any signs of a leak and the fluid level is still OK, could air have still worked its way in there somehow after not being ridden? I opened the cap and tied the lever back to try and squeeze any air out so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow, but it concerns me not knowing how that happened.
Not air, more than likely condensation. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb humidity right out of the air. This is why it is absolutely crucial to flush brake fluid every 2-3 years in ANY type of vehicle with hydraulic brakes. Otherwise it will corrode your brake system from the inside out. It's a very good possibility you are going to be in need of a master and/or caliper rebuilds at this point. Start with a brake fluid flush (front and rear) and see where that gets you. If they become worse after the flush, you will need to rebuild or replace.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're probably right. I got a little more feel out of them after they sat overnight, but they kind of fell off again after a few miles of easy riding. I guess I'll be flushing them soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts