Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Daytona is about to become a dedicated track bike!

I've been wanting to make this move for a long time, and now that I have my eye on a new street bike (white 2008 Ducati 848) I want to convert the Triumph into a track machine. I've been mining the forums for information but would welcome any advice, words of wisdom, referrals to experts/techs/shops, or invidious cracks of envy that you fine people could offer up. I've enjoyed a few track days in the past, but never had the luxury of a dedicated machine and want to make this the best experience possible!

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
There are many of us here with dedicated 675 track bikes. They are phenomenal machines on the track. You should be prepared for the fact that replacement and aftermarket parts are much more expensive for a Triumph than they are for the traditional choice of track weapon, the GSXR.

That being said, the modifications you choose to make are as unlimited as your budget. Most of us have chosen to get track plastics to avoid the expense of replacing stock bodywork if it gets rashed, plus it eliminates all the openings for lights, etc. The absolute best modification you can make is to upgrade the suspension and have it all dialed in for your weight and riding style.

From there, things like Clipons, rearsets, adjustable levers, double bubble windscreen are the most typical. These mods are usually closely followed by the installation of a 520 kit with appropriate gearing for the tracks most guys run. Most common seems to be going +2 on the rear sprocket or -1 on the front.

Some of us, like myself, have even gone so far as to remove the CAT, Exup Valve, Intake Flapper, Secondary Air Injection, Idle Stepper Motor and install some or all of the Race Kit. Myself, I just installed the Race ECM, Race Harness, Race Air Filter and the Race Idle Adjuster. I still just have the TOR exhaust. Many have added the Arrow exhaust. That will be something I add down the road.

Then, it's simply a matter of having a large enough budget to support all the track time and tire purchases you will need to make to keep that grin on your face permanently.

While I realize I could probably save money if I were tracking a GSXR, you can see that I prefer the 675... It has much more character and as Triumph states 3 is Greater than 4...

Good luck with your transformation.

TripleThreat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...You should be prepared for the fact that replacement and aftermarket parts are much more expensive for a Triumph than they are for the traditional choice of track weapon, the GSXR....

Good luck with your transformation.

TripleThreat
Thanks, TripleThreat....I did know that the parts are a bit more expensive for the Triumph... fortunately I have connections at our local dealership (I worked their for a good stint) that should help defray cost a bit.

Thanks for all the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts