76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all...as the title says, in the past month I went from this:

:rofl2: :headbang: :thumbsup:

To this:

:cursin: :1banghead:

Then back to this again:

:rofl2: :headbang: :thumbsup:

I did 30k trouble free miles with Speedie and it's been the best street bike I've owned. And I can already tell that there are somethings that I'm really gonna miss, namely the feel and sound of the 1050 engine. But I had her since '06 and was ready for a change to something smaller and lighter. I nearly bought a KTM 690 Duke, but found a really good deal on the Triumph and trusted the reliability/practicality of the Triumph a bit more than the KTM. (Ha! Who'da thought the StreetR as the "practical" bike?).

Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the new bike. What it loses out on in engine, it more than makes up for in handling. The light weight and quick steering (and corner speed!) make it loads of fun. I've barely put 100 miles on the Street, so I'm still getting familiar with it (and still blowing apexes bc it turns so quick), but I'll adjust. I'm also a bit surprised to find it wheelies just as easily as the Speedie! :biggrin:

I got her for $8250 out the door (plus $430 for my state sales tax). I thought this was pretty good, at least it was the best I could find. Break in on this thing positively painful though. 5k rpms only nets me about 60mph in 6th gear (which is dangerous on the ATL expressways), so I've been exceeding it a bit when needed. I expect she'll be much quicker when I can wind it up a bit more.

I'll leave it at that for now, I'll be seeing ya....

Cheers

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Welcome! Glad you made the right choice!

I'm just wondering, what happened to the Speed? I can't figure out what sort of crash could do that to the right headlight and handlebar, but still not take off the right front signal.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Don't worry about the RPM they break the motors in from the Factory on there dyno. It's more about VARIABLE in RPM'S don't stay at one consistant RPM. Stay away from Freeways. And don't be afraid to wind out the bike just don't beat the shit out of it. Remember it's getting the piston rings to seat right in the cylinders

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's more about VARIABLE in RPM'S don't stay at one consistant RPM. Stay away from Freeways. And don't be afraid to wind out the bike just don't beat the shit out of it. Remember it's getting the piston rings to seat right in the cylinders
+1 Logan is bang on the money.

I expect she'll be much quicker when I can wind it up a bit more.
OH YES :excited:

·
Banned
941 Posts
I'm just wondering, what happened to the Speed? I can't figure out what sort of crash could do that to the right headlight and handlebar, but still not take off the right front signal.
I'm also confused at the pic of the crashed Speed Triple, but for different reasons. Is it just me or does the bike have BOTH clip-ons and a handlebar?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!

I was making a left turn onto an unlit road. It was pitch black and I unfortunately assumed I was turning into open road (and leading my headlights a bit). I hit a large piece on concrete, about the size of 3 cinder blocks. Still not sure what it was...looked like a piece of temporary median or something from a construction site possibly.

Anyway, I saw it right before I clipped it, but too late to react much. I hit it, front wheel popped over, then I think the rear wheel hit, bucked me off over the bars and sent me rolling. As I was coming off, I got a glimpse of Speedie up on the front wheel right before it crashed down on the right side.

Can't explain how the signal survived, as the bike was laying on it's side when I picked it up. Maybe the handlebar got locked to the right side and held it off the ground. Bent the subframe, front wheel, handlebar, smashed the exhaust, broke the instrument panel and headlight, rashed the case and right side panel, etc. Good bit of damage.

I was completely fine though, walked away without a scratch. Even my gear was mostly unscathed. I guess I was only going about 20-25mph and just hit and rolled. I did notice a bruise on my hip the next day, but was otherwise lucky.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm also confused at the pic of the crashed Speed Triple, but for different reasons. Is it just me or does the bike have BOTH clip-ons and a handlebar?
LOL! I think you may have found the cause of my loss of control! :laugh:

Actually, it had Suburban Machinery bars on it, which kinda look like clip-ons in that picture, but they are handlbars.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. You definitely got a good deal on the streety. Glad you survived the accident unscathed. Great community here. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that I've been out a few times, I actually think the Street wheelies easier than the Speed. I'm confused as to why, considering the pretty sizable difference in torque down low. Maybe it's just a bit more controllable as opposed to easier. :noclue: Either way, I've noticed I'm a bit more smooth/less ham-fisted when lofting the front.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Lighter + shorter gears... Too bad HID conversion isn't as efficient on streeties as on Daytonas, seemslike you might have needed them :whistle: Glad you survived the stunt :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha! yeah, or a little common sense might have been the cheapest option. I ride at night all the time and know the pitfalls. Just got too comfortable and careless. :duh:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey revbuddy, welcome to striple ownership! I be you'll like the bike a lot, especially up in the Suches area. :) Looks like it'll be a really nice Saturday here in the ATL so should be able to get some riding in, unless spending all day at the bike show. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts