Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I hope to be a part of your family soon. I'm looking for a nice used 07 675. I think I found a good one. It's all stock, black (I know it's not as fast as red), and it only has 3300 miles on it. However the seller said that the ignition has some excessive free play? Is this something I should be super concerned about? I tried searching but couldn't find anything related to this. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure it's not a tech term. So far it's been described to me as the previous owner "...messed up the key holes...the key will turn...but it has a little play so u have to play with it" Is this from just aggressive key turning lol?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
ahh.....okay
sounds like the bike may just need to be re-keyed ($800 for gas tank cap, ignition, and seat lock from the dealer i think). should be fine to ride as is though.....though sometimes you might need to wiggle the key around to get it to engage properly.

this sounds like either 1. yes, VERY aggressive key turning 2. someone tried to steal the bike before and jammed a screwdriver into the ignition slot, or 3. he was trying to do something with the ignition slot and messed it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's the second owner. I just got off the phone with him, he said his step father got the bike for him and that he was told the original owners ex went a little crazy and messed up the ignition and the gas tank lock. To me is sounds like maybe someone tried to steal it. Clean/Clear title in his name. After hearing all this I think I might just stay away. He was asking $5300 obo, it's all stock, never down or tracked and only 3300 miles. I'll wait for something better to come along I think.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
He's the second owner. I just got off the phone with him, he said his step father got the bike for him and that he was told the original owners ex went a little crazy and messed up the ignition and the gas tank lock. To me is sounds like maybe someone tried to steal it. Clean/Clear title in his name. After hearing all this I think I might just stay away. He was asking $5300 obo, it's all stock, never down or tracked and only 3300 miles. I'll wait for something better to come along I think.
I could swear I read this story awhile back from the previous owner/OP posting something about it. At that price that's a steal. If its going to be a dedicated track bike you can easily make it an ignitionless system where it turns on and off by the killswitch. Even for street use you can do that and just have a separte switch for the headlights. And then you can use a good disc lock as a replacement for the ignition steering lock. You could keep the ignition on as a natural deterrent

So yeah, at that price and that ignition that is a steal.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Sounds like someone tried to steal it to me. I'd take a very thorough look at it. Do the usual stuff, like having it cold when you get there, ask him to take the fairings off before you get there. That's not a big deal to do, and it'll let you get a better look at the motor and stuff.

Then I'd point out anything and everything wrong with it. Tell him you could do 4200, saying new key set up is going to run you at least a grand to fix. See what he says.

When I bought mine it needed a good amount of work, new side fairings, tires, a lot of bolts replaced to get rid of the oxidation and the brakes looked over. I got him down from his "minimum he'll take" of $4200 to $3600 (or $3800, I can't remember)

You never know what he'll do.

·
Registered
601 Posts
my brother's ducati monster has "free play" in the ignition; the previous owner pulled the key out forcibly in a position that it wouldn't come out. if its the same type of deal, you don't want to live with the free play, it takes forever to turn the key, like 10-15 minutes sometimes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts