Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To give you a background....I am a general manager for a 126 room hotel in town. We recently had to fire an associate....which meant we also had to fill that now empty position. On Tuesday afternoon, around 3PM - I posted a position on Craigslist. It is now Thursday, about 12:30....hasn't even been 48 hours! Thus far, I have received about 150 resumes!!! A couple of things worth mentioning.....

- If you have NO experience in the field that we are requesting, no need to apply.
- If you send your resume 2 or 3 times for the same job....it makes me wonder if you even pay attention. Or if you are just sending it to every listing on Craigslist.
- If you are too lazy to introduce yourself in the email...."Hi, my name is Joe Schmo, and...." chances are, I don't want to get to know you.
- If you don't have Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, or alike....please ask someone that does. Then create a professional looking resume. If your resume is made in Windows Notepad format....chances are that you are not all that computer savvy. (Which is a requirement for this job.)
- What makes you unique? Why should I hire you? In at least 100 of the 150 emails I received....the applicants had put "I am a people person". Well, I better hope so....because you'll be working with people!!! The absolute best thing I've seen thus far was a girl that called herself "Superhero". Now THAT'S a person I want to interview!!!!
- PLEASE, make sure you check the spelling of your resume!!! Most word processing programs have spell check....USE IT!!!!
- Leave pictures of yourself out. If you are ugly, chances are....let's leave that one alone.

I can't stress enough importance on your resume!!!! All kidding aside, it'll help having a professional help you out. It may cost you a few bucks....but it can make the difference of landing the interview, or not. It needs to be easy to read, NOT 22 pages. Highlight your previous job titles, then describe your responsibilities...short and sweet. Don't use things like...."I'm a people person..." Worn out cliches are just that....worn out.

Just thought I'd share some thoughts about personal observations.....especially as unemployment is sooooo bad. In California, 1 out of every 8 is without a job. In Sacramento, it's 1 out of every 6....scary! So, instead of coming across as someone that's just applying for EVERY job listed (desperate) pay attention to the listing, and tweak your resume to match MY needs.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
PM'ing my number.

I'll take the jobb.

Name Is John,

Abilaties:

Ppl Person.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Good tips. My fiancee was looking for work about a year ago and tried putting a job posting on C-list as an experiment. She had the same result, about 100 resumes in less than a day. just curious riktig, do you even read them all??

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you get that many, you can't read them word for word. I skim through, and look for key competencies. Especially the ones that we are looking for. For an example...out of the 150 or so I've received thus far....I've sorted out, and set aside about 10 that I will call in for a face to face interview.

What really blows my mind, is that I received about a dozen emails with NOTHING in the email body, then just an attached resume. I understand that you are showing that you're interested...but at least say something??!! C'mon now...

Good tips. My fiancee was looking for work about a year ago and tried putting a job posting on C-list as an experiment. She had the same result, about 100 resumes in less than a day. just curious riktig, do you even read them all??

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
The less students/the school system place value on writing skills, the better it is for my business!

The less people care about their ability to self-promote and clearly put forward their unique skills and talents ... the better it is for my business!

(Although to be honest I gave up doing C.V's and resumes for people many years ago.)

If you're studying right now, struggling with your care factor, and debating the value of clear writing that engages the reader and conveys a positive image to people you're trying to impress ... it is valued at $140 per hour, plus tax.

Spend a bit of time, show a little care - or get ready to pay someone else to do your writing, just to give yourself a chance.

O.B

·
Registered
26 Posts
- If you have NO experience in the field that we are requesting, no need to apply.
Presumably you put that experience was necessary in the advertisement. Otherwise, I'd expect that an entry-level position at a hotel would be precisely what an inexperienced individual might apply to.

- If you are too lazy to introduce yourself in the email...."Hi, my name is Joe Schmo, and...." chances are, I don't want to get to know you.
Maybe. IMO, saying, "Hi, my name is Joe Schmo, and...." is too informal for an email submitting a job application. Introducing oneself to the potential employer is best reserved for the cover letter, I believe. Regardless of what you prefer, this a stylistic distinction, one which I suspect you'd find experts disagree, and thus, isn't necessarily a bad thing, so long as the email is handled elegantly.

Leave pictures of yourself out. If you are ugly, chances are....let's leave that one alone.
ZOMG but what about the hawt chicks!?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, REQUIREMENTS listed. For basic, entry level jobs....we usually have a pretty good success rate with just going by word of mouth....spread the word at work, and there's always an uncle, cousin, or friend that's interested.

Presumably you put that experience was necessary in the advertisement. Otherwise, I'd expect that an entry-level position at a hotel would be precisely what an inexperienced individual might apply to.

Maybe. IMO, saying, "Hi, my name is Joe Schmo, and...." is too informal for an email submitting a job application. Introducing oneself to the potential employer is best reserved for the cover letter, I believe.
If there even was a cover letter. About half of the applicants didn't submit a cover letter. Just had a basic introduction of themselves in the email, then attached a resume. Then add to that the ones that JUST sent a blank email, with a (.doc) resume attached!!?? WTF??!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ummmm.....I don't see anything written that isn't common sense.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Watch the news. Read the paper. Look at the state the world is in.

In 2011, 'common sense' is, increasingly, a rarity.

O.B
I don't do any of those things, I'm illiterate*, don't like the news and don't understand the world.

*someone else typed this message for me.

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
In 2011, 'common sense' is, increasingly, a rarity.

O.B
Thankfully so. If it wasn't, I'd probably be out of a job :nod: I make a very good living supplying common sense to the less fortunate.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Another good piece of advice is to randomly select half your pile of resumes and throw them out as you don't want unlucky people working for you.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi! My name is Super Mega Hero Dude, and I have been told by my probation officer that I have to get a job.
I'm a people person, even more now that I'm a whole week into my anger management course.
As long as you don't drug test or do background checks I think I'd be a real asset to what ever you do there.
I have a job history with uncle Vinnie who I did a little "removal" work for.
Oh, don't like Mondays so too bad for you.
When do I start?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I worked in media recruitment for a while. Amazed me how many people just apply for jobs.

I had a freshie out of school apply for a role running a very established ad agency. Reason they thought they'd be good for the job was that they watched a lot of television and knew a good ad from a bad one.

Even got irate when they rang me after the standard No thanks letter was sent and I told them "what part of a minimum of 10 years on the jobb experience along with degrees did you not read.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts