Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon we rode about 50 miles to one of our favourite race tracks in the UK, Cadwell Park. For those of you that aren't familiar with it, it's narrow, technical and has 'The Mountain', which is kinda like Laguna Seca's Corkscrew backwards, but a little smaller and guarantees jumps and wheelies over the crest :coolgleamA: It's like your favourite road, but with no cars and road furniture, just lovely.

Anyway, I've ridden many bikes around Cadwell over the years, the last being my 848. The Ducati was glorious round there with it's awesome feeling front end, but I have to say, I'm hugely impressed with the Triumph. The parts that felt harsh and bumpy and made me want to back off on the 848 were manageable and not nearly as noticeable on the softly suspended 675. I worried that the suspension would feel too soft, but it was good. The forks do feel a little squashy hard on the brakes, but I'm really not fast enough to trouble it's standard kit and I'm sure a few clicks will sort it out. It's on Dunlop Qualifier RR's at the moment, which don't seem to give me much feedback, but they stick OK. I'll change them for my favoured Bridgestones when they wear out.

I've gone from feeling a little unsure of the skinny, tall British beast, to completely comfortable with it in a couple of hours on the track. Knee down wherever I pleased, toe down as well on a couple of occassions and just a very well balanced and behaved machine which lets you get on with riding rather than fighting it :smile:

Bit of a break today, then we're off to Oulton Park for a full day on track tomorrow...can't wait :thumbsup:

I'll stick some pictures up when we get them.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Man I really wanna ride that track! Glad you enjoyed the 675 on it. Can't wait to see the pictures. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thats the first time I have heard a 675's suspension get called soft.Im glad to hear you love it so much,its an amazing bike.I cant wait to see the pics.:cool2:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Post up the details of the track day, i got one friday and it will be my first with the 675

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the first time I have heard a 675's suspension get called soft.Im glad to hear you love it so much,its an amazing bike.I cant wait to see the pics.:cool2:
I've come from an '03 ZX6, with possibly the hardest rear shock known to mankind, through a few Ducati's and then to the Triumph. It's soft in comparison! :grin: That's not a bad thing though, I think it makes it easier to ride at a normal pace.

Post up the details of the track day, i got one friday and it will be my first with the 675
What do you want to know? :smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I pickup my brand spanking new 675 SE on friday. My last bike was a zx6 03 b1h which I loved. Were you more happy with the 675??
Obviously the test ride swayed me to get the Triumph but that is only an hour.

·
Registered
195 Posts
What do you want to know? :smile:
Feedback on the bike, the good the bads

Things you would change things you woulnd't

Any suspension setups you ran or changed (factory or aftermarket), tires you ran etc...........

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pickup my brand spanking new 675 SE on friday. My last bike was a zx6 03 b1h which I loved. Were you more happy with the 675??
Obviously the test ride swayed me to get the Triumph but that is only an hour.
It's more torquey than the 636 and it's less harsh on the road. The brakes are as good as the Kwaks and the Triumph handles better I think...certainly easier anyway :) I'm sure you'll love it, you just have to get used to having a few less revs to play with than an IL4.

Feedback on the bike, the good the bads

Things you would change things you woulnd't

Any suspension setups you ran or changed (factory or aftermarket), tires you ran etc...........
OK, feedback. The bike is super easy to throw round the track. It never does a thing wrong, goes where you want it to, stops in an instant and feels completely at ease on it's side with your knee on the ground. It's very light and flickable, which does mean it can be a bit flighty and get the bars wagging if you're being a bit rough. That is kinda fun too though :thumbsup: It's very keen to pick up it's front wheel over the littlest of crests.

After this morning at Oulton, I asked one of the instructors (an ex National racer) if he thought the tyre wear looked OK on the back, to which he said it looked like it was tearing. So, he gave it a bounce, adjusted the preload and rebound a little bit as it was a bit bouncy and left me to it. Unfortunately it was too late to save the tyre and the tear's got worse during the day, but fingers crossed it won't do the same to the next one now it's been sorted. It's on Dunlop Qualifier RRs at the moment, which I can't fault. They work well from cold and haven't given me any moments during the day. The suspension is all OE as well.

I don't think I would change a thing about it. It's very responsive, very forgiving if you mess up and easy to thrash the hell out of :grin: I'm pleased to bits with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK, feedback. The bike is super easy to throw round the track. It never does a thing wrong, goes where you want it to, stops in an instant and feels completely at ease on it's side with your knee on the ground. It's very light and flickable, which does mean it can be a bit flighty and get the bars wagging if you're being a bit rough. That is kinda fun too though :thumbsup: It's very keen to pick up it's front wheel over the littlest of crests.

After this morning at Oulton, I asked one of the instructors (an ex National racer) if he thought the tyre wear looked OK on the back, to which he said it looked like it was tearing. So, he gave it a bounce, adjusted the preload and rebound a little bit as it was a bit bouncy and left me to it. Unfortunately it was too late to save the tyre and the tear's got worse during the day, but fingers crossed it won't do the same to the next one now it's been sorted. It's on Dunlop Qualifier RRs at the moment, which I can't fault. They work well from cold and haven't given me any moments during the day. The suspension is all OE as well.

I don't think I would change a thing about it. It's very responsive, very forgiving if you mess up and easy to thrash the hell out of :grin: I'm pleased to bits with it.
Thanks for the feedback, tomorrow is suppose to be my first day on the track with the 675 but they are calling for 90% rain and i only have metzler racetec DOT's so i won't roll the bike out of the trailer if its raining.

I had the suspension setup this past week (sag, rebound, compression) so hopefully i don't tear the tires. Im going from an R6 to the 675 so its already a lot lighter and narrow just moving in and out of the garage to work on it.

Really excited to see the power and tq differences between the two. Forgiving is a word i like to hear, for the most part im smooth but every now and then i get greedy with trying to out brake people and miss my marks.

I also upgraded the front brake pads with ebc HH sinister pads so we will how well they work.

here is hoping to no rain

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple of pictures from Cadwell. Can't buy them online, got to buy a CD, so until I get that, they're going to have the watermark across them.

:coolgleamA:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts