Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought an 07 D675 yesterday and would like to change the oil. I will more than likely be going to Advance Auto Part and using Mobil1 oil like I do on my other bike and cars. Does anyone use mobil1? What weight oil should I use (Florida)?

Also, anyone have a part number for a filter that works for our bike that I can get there as well?

Lastly...i didnt see a how to for spark plugs when I searched, does anyone know if there is one? I assume i will order these (NGK CR9EIX) since those are on British Customs....total noob if you cant tell... a very sincere thanks for any help you guys can offer :notworthy:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Yep, I would stick with the stock spark plugs, oil is a highly debated subject but you will be just fine if you stick to the Mobile 1 4T in the recommended viscosity. If you're planning on doing your own servicing, get yourself a service manual. A cheap one can be had on ebay.

How many miles on your 07? There is a major service due at 6k and 12k intervals. Make sure they get done.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply! it has 6550 miles and did receive the 6k check up before i got it. He said i dont need to change the oil but im just anal and want to change both the oil and the plugs.

Do you know the recommended viscosity? Do you think advance auto will be able to tell me what filter to use?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
thanks for the quick reply! it has 6550 miles and did receive the 6k check up before i got it. He said i dont need to change the oil but im just anal and want to change both the oil and the plugs.

Do you know the recommended viscosity? Do you think advance auto will be able to tell me what filter to use?
I can't remember right off hand if the plugs would have been replaced with the 6k service. :hmm: I will say I have 11k on my 09' and haven't changed the plugs yet. I don't blame you for doing an oil change, it's easy and worth the time and money to do. I don't know if I would bother with the plugs, but that's just me. Do you have an actual service record from a dealer, or was it a DIY service? I would personally give the bike a once-over; it sounds like you are anal so you've likely done or plan on doing that anyway. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Recommended oil should be found in the manual.

You might find a digital version, but a paper one will be easier to use in the garage.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts

The recommended oil is Mobile 1 4T 15w50 grade. But any 4T racing oil will be sufficient in viscosities close to that. I personally use Amsoil, but have been thinking about switching to the Shell Rotella T, apparently it is a great, inexpensive alternative according to this article.

As far as filters go, I had a filter cross-reference around here somewhere, but the K&N oil filter for the 675 is part # KN-204. There are air filters for the bike from K&N, BMC and a few others, but unless you track your bike the stock filters will do just fine and will filter better.

**Found it**

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The recommended oil is Mobile 1 4T 15w50 grade. But any 4T racing oil will be sufficient in viscosities close to that. I personally use Amsoil, but have been thinking about switching to the Shell Rotella T, apparently it is a great, inexpensive alternative according to this article.

As far as filters go, I had a filter cross-reference around here somewhere, but the K&N oil filter for the 675 is part # KN-204. There are air filters for the bike from K&N, BMC and a few others, but unless you track your bike the stock filters will do just fine and will filter better.

**Found it**
Thanks very much Doublen675! Thats perfect, I appreciate the help :thumbup::bowdown:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one more question, what do you mean by a once over? I am planning on taking off all the fairings and cleaning the bike with a little diluted simple green or some other grease cutter...other than that oil and plugs (which i might not now). Is there anything else I should check? I rode it 4hrs home and the temp gauge didnt change so i think the coolant is good too.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You'd be surprised how many nuts and bolts will come undone. Check every one you can get to, look at your sprockets, make sure chain slack is good, check brake pads. Used bikes can be a nightmare, just make sure to check everything and double check it again. :laugh: It doesn't take much to put you on your head with a motorcycle. Better to be safe than sorry, really sorry.

·
Registered
928 Posts
THe first thing I did with my Brand New Bike was to look in the service manual for the recommended torques for all the major chassis bolts and took my torque wrench to them. You would be absolutely astonished at how many were waaaay off. These Brits sure make a pretty bike and a reliable motor, but goodness do they need to learn how to use a torque wrench*

As far as oil goes, you can use 10w-40 or 15w-50 or like Dub suggested, you can really buck the system and use 5w-40 Shell. Just avoid anything that has a higher number less than 40 and make absolutely sure that it DOES NOT say "energy saving" on the little certification sticker on the back. In fact, it should say somewhere that it's JASO-MA certified, which basically all of the motorcycle oils (and the new 5w Shell stuff) does. In Florida with that heat, it might behoove you to run the 15w stuff over some 10w stuff.

Here's what I use for a filter: Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive

EDIT: Didn't realize that Amazon changed the link on me. I use the PL14612 not the PL14610. The difference is that the 612 is shorted and fits easier, though I seem to recall someone here said the 610 fits too.

I've cut apart the OEM and compared it to this and I can say that I am a lot more comfortable letting my oil run through this bad boy than the OEM. Keep in mind though that a lot of dealers are looking to get out of warranty work and might try to avoid doing warranty work on your bike if you don't run OEM. But like anything oil and filters, it's all subjective. Use what you like :)

*Disclaimer: This is my own experience with the bolts. Don't flame me if you disagree.

sassafras

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the tips homie, its a 2007 so no warranty to worry about. just wanna make sure its in top shape for me :D I always use purolater filters and will use that one you suggested~

prob another dumb question...how many quarts? then again..its metric right? lol

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
Spark plugs are not due until 12k and avoid iridium or platinum they are garbage and purely designed for long service intervals not for more performance. The air filter is also due at 12k but I find that they are more then dirty enough to be considered for changing every 6k. See my signature for a link to the owners manual.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
dont think a manual will get here in time. can someone please tell me how many quarts needed for an oil change? Thanks
Oh god....let it begin. There's a hugely debated topic as the dipstick was fucked up in certain years. I have an 09' so never dealt with it. But now that you mention it, I can't remember how many quarts go in. I think it's about 3.6 so I usually buy 4 or 5 to be safe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.