Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks..

so a few days ago i was riding through the city on the way home from work...

A guy driving a Toyota hilux with box on the back turned left across 2 lanes without indicating...when i saw what he did i shit myself...

i ended up braking without locking my brakes up and attempted to go as close as possible to the left hand lane as possible...

i ended up hitting him probably doing 5km's an hour on the side of his Toyota and as i hit him i lost balance and the bike fell on its left side...

seeing my bike laying on his side and what the driver did i totally flipped my lid...the accident could have been alot worse and myself veering to the left probably prevented me from having anything broken (body)....

he claimed i was in the wrong and that he was right up against the left curb when he was turning and obviously i knew i was in the right...

i ride to work everyday and use the same lanes everyday..

so picked my bike up expecting the worse and to my surpise all the damage was:
x1 Triumph bar end mirror all scracthed up and bent where it screws onto the bars

triumph shorty lever scratched up on the end

Left indicator light bent back against the radiator cowl leaving a few scratched and the indicator light bent at a funny angle now..

i am not bothering with insurance as we both think we are in the right and its going to be a pain in the ass dealing with stuff and if the insurance company gets the decision wrong i dont want to have a claim against my insurance rating especially motorbike insurance...

so i will just replace the stock triumph mirrors..and fix the indicator light and it will all be sweet...

cagers in the city + motorbikes= dont mix

·
Banned
941 Posts
Any witnesses? This could have helped greatly. In any case, I would have called the police immediately after this occurred to file a report.

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Glad you are ok, but yeah I agree with above. I would of called piggys right after it happened and then started seeing if anyone around saw it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ahh shit! That sucks dude. No damage to the swingarm, rear-sets or possibly rear cowl? If so sounds like you were lucky! Does your bike have the "arrow" shaped indicators, same as the 09+ daytona? If so i've got some and sounds like you could use it so you can have one for free if it's any use..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Glad your alright mate.

Put some sliders on her now :thumbup: You never know what's going on with drivers. I never trust anyone and ride like they are all going to hit me. Slow your bike down and cover the front brake with two fingers at all times.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any witnesses? This could have helped greatly. In any case, I would have called the police immediately after this occurred to file a report.
i called the police and they said they dont come out for accidents unless someone is injured or only if its a big crash, lots of damage etc..

they said its not there job to come out and decide who was wrong blah blah...

in Australia you only need to make a report if the damage is above $1500..the guy was an asshole saying he did nothing wrong so its not worth the hassle of going the insurance road...once i got her home and did a full check i cheered up..could have been a hellava lot worse...

i ride pretty carefully and was pretty happy to see how quickly i reacted to the guy turning and how quickly i stopped...i could have really been hurt bad...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh shit! That sucks dude. No damage to the swingarm, rear-sets or possibly rear cowl? If so sounds like you were lucky! Does your bike have the "arrow" shaped indicators, same as the 09+ daytona? If so i've got some and sounds like you could use it so you can have one for free if it's any use..
for sure dude..that would be killer...that would be very much appreciated...

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Glad you're okay.

But I'm a bit concerned you've referred to it as your "first crash."

Are you expecting another one? Hope not!

O.B

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you're okay.

But I'm a bit concerned you've referred to it as your "first crash."

Are you expecting another one? Hope not!

O.B
haha...i hope not O.B touch wood... my heart couldnt take another

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
haha...i hope not O.B touch wood... my heart couldnt take another
Sometimes I think it's almost luck of the draw, Chris.

In all my years on the road I've never once had an off ... despite sometimes riding like a reckless idiot.

Yet I have a mate who is one of the smoothest and best riders I've ever seen, and he's been off 3 times in the last 4 years, writing off 2 bikes in the process. Hit by a car once, threw it away all on his own the other 2 times.

Funny old game. Glad you're okay.

O.B

·
Registered
946 Posts
for sure dude..that would be killer...that would be very much appreciated...
Left front yeah? I think the RR/LF are ever so subtly different to the LR/RF indicators.... Send me a pm and ill sort it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts