Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm on this get out of debt kick right. Just got rid of the RX8 yesterday. Cost me an arm to give it away *sigh*, but yay now all I have is the Daytona to pay down....go out to the garage this morning to find a small puddle of coolant on the ground under the bike...(now is my only mode of transport)...I mean really...really....I sell the car and the motorcycle starts crying wtf....This all on top of the fact that the CEL is on from the Exup (three trips now just to annoy triumph) and Howard just closed his shop last week so the nearest one is an hour away..... In turn I assume imma just fix it myself tonight because I cannot afford the time off of work just to harras Triumph...

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Nasty.

In my biking life I've always made it a rule to retain at least two bikes at the times when I have no car.

So I have my "good" bike and some old shitter. I mean, something worth a couple hundred bucks, just for running around.

Yes, it costs you a bit of extra registration and road costs. But over the years, my old shitters have saved me a bundle of wear and tear on my sports bikes, they've taught me about working on bikes in general, and they've absorbed all the bullshit like being knocked over in car parks and what have you, without making me cry. Plus, they are insurance for when the other bike breaks down.

I know you're trying to hold on to your cash, but starting by buying an old runabout really can save you a bundle. I rode day-to-day for years on the world's rattiest CB400. It ran on the smell of an oily rag, got me from one side of Sydney to the other every day, and took all the hard knocks and big mileage while in turn my Ducati 900SS and Kawasaki ZX/9R sat safe and warm home in the shed.

Just something to consider.

O.B

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
He has a beater bike!! It's got like 50,000 miles on it.... LOL

Bob, I now you are gonna be happy you sold the oil sucking, poor MPG RX8!!! HAHAH

Don't worry about the coolant leak it's probably the elbow weeping.. Also the EXUP Is a very simple fix. Pull off your right fairing and then loosen up the EXUP and then grease it up with Anti-Seize. I did this when my bike had around 2,000 or 3,000 miles. I now have 15,000 on it and haven't messed with it since.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Don't worry about the coolant leak it's probably the elbow weeping.. Also the EXUP Is a very simple fix. Pull off your right fairing and then loosen up the EXUP and then grease it up with Anti-Seize. I did this when my bike had around 2,000 or 3,000 miles. I now have 15,000 on it and haven't messed with it since.
Or remove it all together and never have to worry about it seizing again. Then disable with TunECU.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure the exup is shot itself. It'll spin 4 times free as a bird then tries a 5th time and just makes a high pitch humm for days with key on bike off. Does it every time. I just have to find some time to get someone to do the tig work for me. Just annoying cuz I work Monday through saturday.
Totally pulled everything apart that night and tightened up the hoses. The smaller hose was actually coming off *sigh* snugged that back down, thought I was good, but nope still a small quarter size puddle of coolant on the ground this morning. Gonna check the plug at the bottom next.
This was after I find out my mom is in the hospital and won't let anyone see her, walk out to the bike and apparently in the dark last night I rolled over the biggest pile of dog shit and thats all stuck up in the fenders.....

Life...I think I'm doing it wrong....

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Shit man, all I can say is most of us have been in a similar situation and that things can only get better. Good luck.
HAHAH Sorry Bob I had too! You know if you need anything you can always call or text.
Take a day off and relax I know of a guy that can Tig! Let me dig around and find his business card

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bob, I now you are gonna be happy you sold the oil sucking, poor MPG RX8!!! HAHAH
I just want to take this opportunity to point out that rotaries are designed to burn oil. They could never lubricate themselves otherwise.

...But yeah the mileage is shit. I have a theory that if as much development was put into the rotary as the piston engine has had, it would probably be better.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Ok so I'm on this get out of debt kick right. Just got rid of the RX8 yesterday. Cost me an arm to give it away *sigh*, but yay now all I have is the Daytona to pay down....go out to the garage this morning to find a small puddle of coolant on the ground under the bike...(now is my only mode of transport)...I mean really...really....I sell the car and the motorcycle starts crying wtf....This all on top of the fact that the CEL is on from the Exup (three trips now just to annoy triumph) and Howard just closed his shop last week so the nearest one is an hour away..... In turn I assume imma just fix it myself tonight because I cannot afford the time off of work just to harras Triumph...
My bike is pissing coolant atm aswell.
A week ago it wasn't. but it was overheating to 9 bars with red AND yellow engine lights, so things do get better :smug:
Sry to hear about the RX-8. I had an rx-3 long time ago. The 2-strokes of 4 wheels (rotaries), love em:thumbup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just want to take this opportunity to point out that rotaries are designed to burn oil. They could never lubricate themselves otherwise.

...But yeah the mileage is shit. I have a theory that if as much development was put into the rotary as the piston engine has had, it would probably be better.
I agree and yes I think he knows that....I think I've told him...I don't remember lol. Either way it does burn it, on purpose or not. I donno I liked the car alot actually just don't need the debt.
As for the coolant leak I'm pretty sure I got it this time. Fucking hoses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts