Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

not to long from now gonna be sending a barrage of stuff to get PC and ANNODIZED

I want to know any tips tricks etc for the following:

(PC) rims- Ive already taken em down to barrings only, should I take the bearings out or leave in? I doubt there reuseable

rear wheel hub assembly (where rear sprocket bolts to) (annodize if possb) should I take studs out? if so best way?

Lower triple clamp (pc or anno) how do I take the lower gasket seal off (very bottom black ring), appears to be a ring above it but not sure if thats it, is it nessaccery to remove bolt shaft from tripple tree? should I get the inner parts done? Also the oem dampner free float ring, should I get that out, I won't be iseing oem dampner....

-for most of the other questions there more generic so I'm hitting another forum first but might dip back here for the bike spacific ones.

I know to cover any threads, holes etc for the PC and prep is key, still learining on annodizeing what can and cannot be done etc.....

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
(PC) rims- Ive already taken em down to barrings only, should I take the bearings out or leave in? I doubt there reuseable.....
Remove the bearings. I re-used mine; over 6K miles with no problems. You just need to be careful with the removal. Some will debate this.

Be sure the coater knows the importance of protecting machined areas of the wheels.

rear wheel hub assembly (where rear sprocket bolts to) (annodize if possb) should I take studs out? if so best way?.....
The anodizing process dissolves anything steel. I'd powdercoat this piece to match the wheels. It'll look better. In that case, no need to remove the studs; they can be masked.

Lower triple clamp (pc or anno) how do I take the lower gasket seal off (very bottom black ring), appears to be a ring above it but not sure if thats it, is it nessaccery to remove bolt shaft from tripple tree? should I get the inner parts done? Also the oem dampner free float ring, should I get that out, I won't be iseing oem dampner.... .....
Press the stem out of the clamp. The seal and ring will stay on the stem. You could press the damper bearing out. I'd anodize both clamps to match.

I know to cover any threads, holes etc for the PC and prep is key, still learining on annodizeing what can and cannot be done etc.....
Hard anodizing is the only way to go. It's durable, fade resistant, and inexpensive. The place I used charges per dip (~$100) and that covers 16 square feet of area; enough to do every silver part on the bike and then some. I'd anodize every aluminum piece possible. Powdercoat the wheels for that flashy effect. It'll be clean. Take a look at my former bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what I know from having had powder coating done to many many (MTB) mountain bike frames & parts...you MUST take bearings out. The parts don't have to be prepped by you but you can help your boyz out. The most you can do is be clear from (bearings) grease & oil...they will do it again, I promise. Obviously, leave taking off the old finish to the pros...others do it...I don't. If you want the part to last...it has to be stripped or bead blasted. You can have people do a do-over (PC) but I have no experience in that shit. If I'm ripping it down, paying big dollars, & putting the fucker back together...I say do it right...just my opinion. It's not that expensive to have it stripped correctly.

Afterward, You will have to Race and Chase all orifices! No short cuts when powder coating, everything must go. I don't even know if the metal can be charged with a bearing in there, might get welded in or fuck up the other areas..The co should know what their doing...I've never had a problem with this method.

Note: I send my stuff across the country to do nothing but the powder coat my own stable of MTB Frames (btw: www.spectrumpowdercoatings.com does motorbike stuff too, ask for Liz) and I put em back together with a little help from my boozed up bike friends. I tell Spectrum, I have very small tolerances with bearings & my job has been easy & perfect with the Right Tools every time (I borrow tools, cause the cutters are expensive for a one time jobs) & get my beautiful bikes back together again...You be happy Dude...it is an unbelievable beautiful and hardy finish....:nod: Best of luck...you already know...we want Pics!!!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
You on the road yet, mate? I be a riding, man...want to show me the ropes, I'll show you to the post ride brews:beerplease:. I got a little RPM problem now...but should be cleared up in a few.....
No bike is apart actually getting things powder coated hope to have the bike together in about 2 weeks or so. But we will deff get together this summer

On the PC info I just took my wheels off to get them done i bought new bearings just dont forget the sprocket cover like I did lol

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you get your bearings from a dealer, or womewhere else?

did you seperate the lower tripple bolt from the piece? if so what did you use and how hard was it to do?

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey dan where are u getting your powdercoating done, and how much are they charging u? I'm in the process of doing the same thing but everyone is slow at giving me quotes. thanks

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
np talking to other people that is the common price give or take 25 but remember u need to remove bearings and buy new ones

all said and done it is going to cost me 300

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im going with powderpro in new bedford, its around the same price for the wheels, but all the other things like rearsets and clamps and clipons are 10-15 each. So sorry for the thread jack but are the bearings pressed in or do they come right out? Im still waiting on my stand adaptor before i tear my bike apart.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
They are pressed in. You will probably F them up trying to get them out without the proper tool. I stopped by a local shop with mine and they removed the bearings for free when I had them remove the tires.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Im going with powderpro in new bedford, its around the same price for the wheels, but all the other things like rearsets and clamps and clipons are 10-15 each. So sorry for the thread jack but are the bearings pressed in or do they come right out? Im still waiting on my stand adaptor before i tear my bike apart.
holy shit that is right near me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts