Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has taken this exam? I'm taking it here in April with the electrical portion.

Any guidance you can give? What was it like? Any suggested study materials?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I took the FE exam in 2006. IMO it was pretty easy compared to regular class work and tests in college. One suggestion that was given to me was to do the general test rather than a specific discipline. But I was a mechanical engineering major and the general test might lean more to mechanical/civil types of problems (might be alot of static, mechanics of materials, etc), don't remember for sure.

The good thing is that in the afternoon session, when you have the option to go with the discipline specific or general, you get to look at each test and can decide right on the spot after seeing the problems.

For studying I bought a copy of the reference book that they give you at the test just to become as familiar with it as I could before the test. I think it was only like $15 or so.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I took it in Oct 09 and passed. I too, am a mechanical, and did the general section in the afternoon. If you're an EE, take the EE section in the afternoon, you'll likely do better.

Most of the test isn't bad, but I think the difficulty varies greatly depending on your engineering discipline. If your school has a review course, take it. For the most part the class will be boring and you'll hate it, but it's a nice refresher for stuff you did the first couple of years in school and haven't seen since. If your school doesn't offer one, I would think a good FE prep book would be a good substitute.

Also, keep in mind you're given 90% (or more) of the formulas you'll need. A lot of the test comes down to knowing which formula to use, where to find it (the book of formulas covers every subject), and how to use it correctly in a timely manner.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Took it in '03 and passed. I was already out of school and working full time so no prep class for me. I bought a study aid from a book store and used that as a guide. I can't remember if I tested on the general portion or dicipline specific (ME) in the afternoon.

I still need to take the PE sometime soon...Studying for the PE exam is going to get ugly. I've already forgotten everything!:stupid:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Took it in '03 and passed. I was already out of school and working full time so no prep class for me. I bought a study aid from a book store and used that as a guide. I can't remember if I tested on the general portion or dicipline specific (ME) in the afternoon.

I still need to take the PE sometime soon...Studying for the PE exam is going to get ugly. I've already forgotten everything!:stupid:
If I remember correctly, the PE is entirely open book... Not to say it won't be tough, but at least there's hope lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts