1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
701 Posts
From what I've read about "alcohol" it shouldn't hurt anything. But I wouldn't take my word on it.:laugh:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about the effects of it myself other then to know that it burns "hotter" then gas? It has issues with the emissions equipment on older cars.

I also have a Ducati 1198 which has a plastic tank. They have had issues with the tank deforming in the US and it has been linked to the ethanol.

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
Ethanol is a sham. It it less fuel efficient than Gas thus you wind up paying more per gallon. And using a food product for fuel is ridiculous on so, so many levels.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2006/11/the-ethanol-illusion.html#

Ethanol Essentials

• It takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol to provide the energy content of 1 gallon of gasoline.
  • United States gasoline consumption in 2005: 140 billion gallons.
  • U.S. ethanol production capacity in 2006: 4.8 billion gallons. Expected to increase over the next few years to 7.5 billion gallons.
  • One ton of corn kernels yields approximately 100 gallons of ethanol.
  • Fraction of U.S. corn production now used to produce ethanol: 12 percent.
  • Energy yield from corn ethanol equals approximately 125 percent of the fossil energy used to produce it. Primary sources of fossil energy used in U.S. ethanol production: natural gas and coal; there is significant net savings in terms of oil use.
  • Implications for greenhouse gases: as much released in producing corn ethanol as saved in replacing gasoline by ethanol.
  • Goal of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE): to displace 60 billion gallons of U.S. gasoline use by ethanol by 2030.
  • To meet the DOE objective would require harvesting cellulose from as many as 225 million acres, assuming that plant sources can provide a yield of cellulose comparable to the yield of 4 tons per acre currently achieved for corn.
  • The energy balance of ethanol produced from cellulose could be distinctly positive, assuming that the lignin content of the feedstock is used to fuel the ethanol- producing facilities. It could result also in significant net savings in emissions of greenhouse gases.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, always thought it was a shame myself.

I think what this is going to mean as that they have approved that it's ok for more (older) cars to burn the 15% (E85) gas so your going to see less and less 10% pumps and more E85 pumps.
As it is now it's almost impossiable to find "pure" gas any more.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah, always thought it was a shame myself.

I think what this is going to mean as that they have approved that it's ok for more (older) cars to burn the 15% (E85) gas so your going to see less and less 10% pumps and more E85 pumps.
As it is now it's almost impossiable to find "pure" gas any more.

Is E85 only 15% ethanol? I always assumed the the name meant 85% ethanol...

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
Ethanol is shit. First its made of corn of course so it is allowing corn growers to charge more while it helps them it sucks for everyone else because it allows stores to raise the price also. I am from a huge farming family and I know my mothers uncle is scoring big right now from all this crap using corn now.

Also ethanol is really no better than fossil fuels while it may burn a little cleaner it burns hotter and faster. I stay away from the crap as much as I can personally.

What pisses me off is how they have a way to grow an algae that works the same as fossil fuels, but burns cleaner and would allow to keep prices down, but no one wants that I guess.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Wow what bullshit. Looks like my bikes will be running on AvGas in the near future.
any harm running AvGas? is it more expensive than pump gas? might have to give it a try....or volunteer my bike to be a guinea pig for a company i know is developing some other biofuels....ahaha

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
any harm running AvGas? is it more expensive than pump gas? might have to give it a try....or volunteer my bike to be a guinea pig for a company i know is developing some other biofuels....ahaha
It's only bad if you still have a cat, otherwise it's fine. More expensive but it'll stay good longer if you let your bike sit.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
GREAT! another reason to hate the mindless fools at EPA, weather it be in the air on the ground there choices make no sense.....

the only thing I can say is I try to AVOID ethonol, but sadly its hard to seek out pure gas where I am at

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Let's remember modern Triumphs run on this sort of mix with no problems, and that it's not the case for every brand :whistle:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
in the end though ethonol only hurts

costs more, gets consumed faster, needs more energy to burn, and is more easily contaminated then gas.

I just miss the old days when you paid a buck for a gallon of gas and the oil companys were only making like 20 billion a year each and the govt still got to keep there 30 or so cents from it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The best part about ethanol is that it is still like 80% balance. That means that we burn 8/10 of a gallon of REGULAR GAS just making it and transporting it to get 1 gallon of ethanol. So really it doesn't accomplish the stated goal of reducing our foreign oil dependence.

It's just plain worthless.

sassafras

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
It's only bad if you still have a cat, otherwise it's fine. More expensive but it'll stay good longer if you let your bike sit.
My Dad's a pilot so getting my hands on Avgas used to be easy. It was especially handy when I was running a Ducati with hi comp pistons that would ping like a bastard on warm days running normal 98 RON juice.

Then ... my Dad moved to Queensland. You need a pilot's ticket to buy Avgas, so these days I'm out of luck. I wonder if Aviator can post me some?

O.B

·
Registered
566 Posts
My Dad's a pilot so getting my hands on Avgas used to be easy. It was especially handy when I was running a Ducati with hi comp pistons that would ping like a bastard on warm days running normal 98 RON juice.

Then ... my Dad moved to Queensland. You need a pilot's ticket to buy Avgas, so these days I'm out of luck. I wonder if Aviator can post me some?

O.B
Too bad military aircraft all run off JP...basicly diesel. Probably not so good for the ol' tona. but great for that Duramax.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts