Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I put my story in here. I’m in the process of tearing down my engine due to a suspected broken piston rod and possibly bearing. Which likely happened when I turned around in a side gravel road and downed the bike. The clamp from the bar end mirror got pushed/jammed against the throttle as the bar went a little in the dirt/gravel and within seconds the rpm was bouncing off the limiter due to the tire being on free spin. The tire was hitting the gravel slightly and shooting rocks at me in all directions at 13,000rpm. In the 15 seconds of no my bikes down shiiiitt, rocks flying at me, unable to get to the key, what now shiiit shiit oh ya hit the kill switch unseen damage was likely done. Made it home fine that night few scratches broken blinker typical. Next ride about 40kms in cruising smoothly all of sudden the exhaust noise seemed to changes to a tone I’ve never heard before almost like a hole in the headers, checked the vitals all good, then became more like a slight knocking for 5min then louder and louder every 5 minutes or so.. I had to try and get back home on my own due to several reasons but eventually had to pull over sound was terrible and I knew I was doing really bad damage at that point. Long conversations with local engine rebuilders estimated likely $4000 plus in labour and part to repair professionally just going by sound of it, so Haines manual and winter project it is, top end looks good no marks on upper cylinder, valves ok, no shavings in upper, soon to be in the bottom half. This forum has been a great help. Thanks everyone I’ve learnt lots already from this forum so far.

daniel

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha...good one. You should change the subject title to "I crashed my bike and damaged the engine...then just kept riding until I killed it".
Lol yes could have many titles to that one. Definitely lots of user error involved. Didn’t seem like that big of a problem until it was too late., somewhat strange no engine light ever went off either. Will post what the damage actually was when I get there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've never seen that one with a street bike, only trials bikes. With the two strokes the bottom end usually survives but the piston welds to the cylinder and heat treats the con-rod in horrible ways. Good luck with the re-build, hope it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Isn't this why bikes have bank angle (i.e.tip over) sensors so the engine shuts off when the bike goes horizontal?

A few months ago my Tiger went horizontal while navigating a sand road (slow like an old man, not plowing through at speed like one should). When I tipped over the engine shut off immediately. You may want to check your BAS after the rebuild.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't this why bikes have bank angle (i.e.tip over) sensors so the engine shuts off when the bike goes horizontal?

A few months ago my Tiger went horizontal while navigating a sand road (slow like an old man, not plowing through at speed like one should). When I tipped over the engine shut off immediately. You may want to check your BAS after the rebuild.
Yes definitely I wondered many times why it didn’t shut it off. Seen many posts of it not going off when it should of.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Conclusion rod bearing on #1. Both shells were on the same side of the journal and almost melted together, everything else seems to have survived, asides from the crank of course the journal got shaved pretty bad. Gona need at least, new crank, 1 new rod, shells to match. Got lucky.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Landscape

1 - 9 of 9 Posts