Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had my Daytona for 6 months 1500km (about 1000 mi). The bike suddenly didn't start. It just gave a click then proceeded to reset itself. Last ride was the day before so battery should have been charged. Although I did notice just before I turned the bike off the idle was slightly rough.
The problem is not the start switch as I have recharged the battery and then started again then travelled for about 50km (30mi), arrived home then the bike wouldn't start. I repeated this with the same results.
To me, it appears that the alternator doesn't charge the battery, which is odd for a new bike.
Could anyone more mechanically minded confim this!
I havn't thrashed the bike as I have loosely observed the run in procedure.

Sincere thanks to all who reply.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your bike is indeed displaying symptoms of low voltage cut-out (clicking instead of starting).
possible causes of this could be (but not limited to):
- a faulty charge system on the bike
- a faulty battery
- riding frequency and length issue

I would first do a quick check to see if the bike is charging the battery. grab your multimeter (about $10 from kmart or supercheap if u don't have one) and you can check if the charging system is working by measuring the voltage of the battery whilst the engine is running, and compare that reading to the voltage of the battery when the ignition and engine is off.
the resting voltage should roughly be 11V or 12V and running should be a volt or so higher, up to about 14Vish.

If it isn't charging then take it to a dealer for a warranty repair.

If charging system is fine the consider that you have had the bike 6 months and haven't been riding it much. If you regularly go a week or more between long(hour) rides I would recommend getting a battery tender to connect to your bike whilst it is being stored.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Smells like a faulty R/R, just check, andyour dealer should change that under warranty.

I sometimes get the impression they made it faulty on purpose to get people to register on the forums :p

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Smells like a faulty R/R, just check, andyour dealer should change that under warranty.

I sometimes get the impression they made it faulty on purpose to get people to register on the forums :p
I agree.

I can't believe the amount of people on this forum that get this problem. About time Triumph had this sorted. I recently had to replace the R/R on my 06.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. After having done that check, I can now say that battery seems fine and no charge is getting to the battery. So the bike is booked in and they can sort the rest out. Will post what they found to be the problem as an update in a few days time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
is this similar to what your bike is doing?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fhSIWHUKk&feature=youtube_gdata"]YouTube - My Movie[/nomedia]

at 34 seconds I am clicking the start button and all you hear is that click noise and then the bike sweeps back through the startup sequence. The rest of the video I was just trying to find a place to set the cam and do it again with it closer to the speedo but I couldn't get it to hold anywhere so just ignore the rest lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Indy, thats the one! Will post update when bike goes back to dealer on Friday (Australian time). If you're like me and still wanted to ride, you can get at least an hour out of a fully charged battery. But don't turn the bike off in that hour. In a way, the low voltage cut out is good cause the bike won't stop during the ride due to low voltage cause it hasn't given you a chance to start it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update ! The dealer sussed out the fault to be the the stator. Apparently they had never struck this before. Anyhow I am taking the bike back again next week when the part arrives. Even though its under warranty I'll ask what the cost of this repair normally is, so members can have an idea of price if this ever occurs to them. Anyhow at least I know the bike a little better now and if low voltage cut out occurs again I know to look at battery, R/R and stator. This is what happens when members contribute on sites as this. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update so you all know. I'm glad stator is repaired under warranty otherwise it would cost about $1100 australian. The Stator is about $870 and the rest is labour. However after speaking to a friend that had a stator go on his fireblade a few years ago ('01 model), a rewound stator was aroud $300 Australian as a cheaper alternative. I guess labour would be on top of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts