Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to start my Daytona 675 after 2 years sitting. I put it down a couple years back and haven't had the money or time til now to do anything about it. Bought a new battery, charged it, changed out oil/filter...and gas. The bike ran before it sat for the two years.

My issue is that the starter turns over just fine, engine catches and runs for about 20 seconds from the second i turn the key until the computer starts making noises (series of clicks then i believe the engine shuts down when something to do with the actuator or exhaust valve starts to make a turning over noise. This noise continues about three or four times then I'll get more noises from the computer.) If i let the computer run it's course after turning the key to on and waiting for it, then it won't turn over at all. I believe some kind of relay switch or something to do with the actuator/exhaust valve is what kills the engine???

Twice (out of 50 times) while starting the bike it somehow stayed running...once running, everything sounds great...runs great

Any ideas what could be the issue without having to travel a hundred or two hundred miles to the nearest triumph dealer to hook it to a computer??

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Ouch, sitting for two years!

The exhaust valve has no way of killing the bike. It may put it into "limp mode" (maybe) but it has no way of keeping the bike from running that I know of. You could try disconnecting it, and see if that helps.

Are you getting a CEL?

I honestly don't know. This is a bizarre problem, complicated by the fact that it does run at times.

We have some top notch mechanical types on here that will definitely help you out when they see this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks, this is my first time really toying around with the bike, don't know a lot about it, but learning quickly i guess. It's become my new summer project, i'd just like to have it back together before it becomes i end of summer headache!! Just wanna get out and ride again.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Honestly sounds like a loose coonection or corrosion to me. Id start by checking/cleaning all connections and throwing some dielectric grease on them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The fact that it runs occasionally means it's getting spark - but probably not enough fuel or air. Loose connections wouldn't be so intermittent. First, check your air filter. Then....

I don't want to sound like a broken record (Aviator knows what I mean) but it sounds like old gas. If you didn't drain the system or stabilize the fuel prior to storage, your fuel has likely clogged your injectors, fuel pump or fuel filter with junk. Since you've put fresh gas in, add a fair amount of toluene (like 24 ounces) and get it good and mixed in. Try running that through it and see if it starts running better. It won't be instant - but by about 5-6 cycles of it barely running (not 5-6 cycles of trying to start it) you should start to run consistently. If not, then you should move on.

MacBandit knows better than I, but I believe the fuel filter can be replaced separate from the pump (some bikes the filter is in the pump). You might need to do that too.

sassafras

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
The fact that it runs occasionally means it's getting spark - but probably not enough fuel or air. Loose connections wouldn't be so intermittent. First, check your air filter. Then....

I don't want to sound like a broken record (Aviator knows what I mean) but it sounds like old gas. If you didn't drain the system or stabilize the fuel prior to storage, your fuel has likely clogged your injectors, fuel pump or fuel filter with junk. Since you've put fresh gas in, add a fair amount of toluene (like 24 ounces) and get it good and mixed in. Try running that through it and see if it starts running better. It won't be instant - but by about 5-6 cycles of it barely running (not 5-6 cycles of trying to start it) you should start to run consistently. If not, then you should move on.

MacBandit knows better than I, but I believe the fuel filter can be replaced separate from the pump (some bikes the filter is in the pump). You might need to do that too.

sassafras
:nod:

Given my recent experience I was at first thinking the fuel pump, or injectors. However, the fact that it was running for so long threw me off. Mine wouldn't run for more than a second or two.

Bad gas can certainly have damaged a lot of stuff, and simply replacing the gas won't help.

So, definite plus one to Sassafras' suggestions. Those are excellent places to start. If the injectors look good (mine were immaculate) then I'd venture that it's your pump.

If I recall correctly the fuel filter is actually inside the pump. I don't know how easy it is to get at, or replace. You may need an entirely new pump.

Good luck mate :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts