Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.xconomy.com/san-diego/2011/01/10/electric-superbike-finishes-near-top/

(taken from another forum...thanks spewmonkey...all I can say is...I got a raggin boner reading and watching the video!!!)

Electric Superbike Finishes Near Top
Bruce V. Bigelow 1/10/11

Riding an all-electric superbike against conventional twin-cylinder, gasoline-powered race bikes, Aliso Viejo, CA-based rider Chip Yates placed 2nd and 3rd in two races yesterday at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA. As I reported last month, it was the self-funded SWIGZ.com Pro Racing team's first race with the electric superbike. A statement from the group says Yates posted the fastest lap of 1:39.792 in the WERA Heavyweight Twins Superstock race, in which he finished second. According to SWIGZ.com's statement, "The all-electric machine was recorded at 158 mph on the straight and appeared visibly quicker to spectators." A video of the race is available here.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIMQ0c7JKIU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - HISTORY MADE! SWIGZ.COM Electric Superbike - WERA California Speedway[/nomedia]#!

·
Noob Hazer
12,385 Posts
I have been reading up on these. I have even thought about getting a smaller scooter sized one for my girlfriend since we are moving closer to her work.

It will be cool to see how well they do in the future. Next they just need to get the prices down for the everyday consumer.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
That thing screamed down the straights!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be at this race and watch everything go down. I really was impressed with what they were able to accomplish with such limited funding. The bike sounded really cool too when it was ripping down the front strait, think airliner on approach for landing. Although, there are some things that should be said before everyone goes jumping on the this particular E-Bikes bandwagon.

1. Chip Yates is a professional AMA racer who was up against Amateurs.
2. This bike had 184 BHP and 300 foot pound of torque ( yeah 300!)
3. They only raced ONE other bike with equivalent HP, A KTM RC8 that beat the E-bike by an entire minute during a 6 lap race.
4. In the HWTSS class this bike was beaten by an Amateur on a BONE STOCK Ducati Sport Classic with 90 crank HP 70 foot pounds of torque. (trust me I know the guy).
5. There's no way in hell this bike should be running in a super stock class considering it's a prototype and is riding on full custom Ohlins suspension.
6. I know it's a prototype, but it's the ugliest god damn motorcycle on the face of the planet:laugh:

I know I'm probably being a little critical here, but I'm just trying to get the facts out there. When and if if this bike drops about 100LBS it will be a real contender with equivalent power Gas bikes. I'm very interested to see what the future has in store.:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts