Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 has over 26,000 miles on it. Love this bike. It doesn't have any electrical modifications to it at all. Stock headlights, turnsignals, stock exhaust. It has Gilles rearsets, a replaced chain, sprocket, levers, clipons.

It has been running fine, took it out on a ride with a friend and all was well. Then we had a cold snap in Florida where it dropped (gasp) down to freezing. I like to let the bikes idle to warm on those instances where it's cold and not being run.

All the other bikes (including the other Daytona 675) start. This one, however, turns but won't actually start. It turns and turns, but never starts. I leave it on a battery tender and a week later it fires up, but the engine light is on. I decide to take it to the dealer. The dealer looks at it, can't recreate the problem, resets the engine light and charges me $90 and sends me on my way.

2 days later the bike won't start again. I swapped out the battery already for another one on a different bike, so I know it's not that.

I take the bike BACK to the dealer, annoyed now, and say that I want my bike to run but that I don't expect to pay the same $90 just to have them look at it, they need to look at it and find the problem and get back to me.

They call me today to tell me that it's the ECU and they want $1800 for it.

1. I am extremely suspicious given the circumstances
  2. I like the shop guys, but honestly I don't get the highest sense of competence from them or the dealership, they've had a lot of turnover and I get the feeling the owners are running good people off - both customers and employees

Now, I am tempted to take it to another dealership and have them look at it, on the off chance that these boneheads just can't diagnose a bike (the mechanic said "I looked at everything else, it all checks out, it has to be the ECU") and I am tempted to just ebay a used ECU.

Your thoughts as a community are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
::sniff sniff...totally smells like Bull$#!T

definately take it to a more competant dealer.

See if you can do a load test on the battery. If you see the battery can't hold a load, then even using a battery tender is no good.

also search for "decosse"'s electrical diagnostic on here

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the battery, it's not that. I'll find out the code when I go get the bike today. If I HAVE to get another ECU, what is the general consensus on Ebay? I see some out there for around $200. I'm also a little annoyed that an $1800 component on this bike would fail - this is a pretty big failure on Triumph's part in my book, especially since I don't have any aftermarket electric / electronics.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
take it to manx scott

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would have to think that I ECU failing would be extremely rare , they are actually pretty robust units. I would suggest getting or finding someone close with the TuneECU cable and program to see what is up. Any failure of the ECU i would think would throw up a CEL/Mil light and code. I have seen a few Triumphs where the battery terminals where not tight and caused all sorts of problems. If the engine turns over do you have spark ?? What about fuel ?? Do you hear the ecu resetting when turning the key on ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts