Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
They're pretty good tires, but I would go with the British made NTECs...they last a lot longer.

I had the 209GPAs (U.S. made) and the rear compound got shreded to shit at Chuckwalla in a weekend. Worst than the green label 209s I had a couple years ago. The fronts felt good though...very similar in profile to the Q2s but felt I could push them harder than my Q2s

If you're gonna be doing Chuckwalla, you';ll want a medium to hard compound...that track is too new and not enough rubber has been laid down to smoothen out the aggregate. Everywhere else you'll be fine with a softer compound except when it starts to hit summer time

But hey...tires are like women...preference. Hell Im about to use a Dunlop 209GPA Medium Compound Front with a Michelin Power Race PR5 rear and see how I like it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are these the same as the GPRa11s? I'm running a set of these at the moment - no worries at all and the bike feels nice and flickable compared to diablos and qualifier RRs although I haven't really pushed this set or taken them to the track yet. Apparently a few bad tires came in a batch to oz a while ago and lasted only a couple of thou so they were on a big sale a while ago here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nah mate these are dot race tyres, 20 times better than Q2's ... i get mine from ex Australian superbike teams.. Superpole tyres have only done one lap, look like new.. very cheap. I love never having to pay more than $100 dollars for a track tyre! . Remember Pressures are 24 psi or so as the Dunlop has a very hard carcass. Awesome tyre, even the US ones.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I ran across a deal I can not pass up on these. I'll be running the medium compounds at Fontana, so we'll see how it goes. I run a slower group 2 pace so I should be fine either way. Thanks.:thumbup:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I ran across a deal I can not pass up on these. I'll be running the medium compounds at Fontana, so we'll see how it goes. I run a slower group 2 pace so I should be fine either way. Thanks.:thumbup:
I hope you got a REALLY good deal on them because the 211's (either version) are way overkill for track days.

Personally, i race on the Ntecs. But unless you are running at the very front of the Advanced group (and maybe not even then), you wont be able to take advantage of the 211's and they are too expensive for just track days.

Of course it is your money and you can run what you want. But 211's are a waste of money for track days, especially the Intermediate group.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I hope you got a REALLY good deal on them because the 211's (either version) are way overkill for track days.

Personally, i race on the Ntecs. But unless you are running at the very front of the Advanced group (and maybe not even then), you wont be able to take advantage of the 211's and they are too expensive for just track days.

Of course it is your money and you can run what you want. But 211's are a waste of money for track days, especially the Intermediate group.
+1 but then again if its what will give you confidence then go for it. I know I took that route and used warmers and DOTs for a while. So I had to take all that experience and confidence building before going back down to Dunlop Q2s and running mid-pack in the advanced group.

·
Registered
499 Posts
True. Confidence means more than anything in the beginning. But running the absolute best race tires available (short of the Ntecs) is extreme overkill at track days, especially in the Intermediate group.

But like i said, it isnt my money. I dont care if people run MotoGP slicks in the Novice group :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah you hit it right on the head tooble, It's all about confidence. I've already low sided once on Q2's and they were squirming around pretty good at my last track day. So my confidence in them isn't exactly great, especially considering that I'm a newer rider. Just looking for that rock solid feeling.

·
Registered
999 Posts
@COREY

ha... i almost went down in front of rick clemson (on Q2's) he told me "i saw a black one of these go down a few weeks ago"... i remeber you posted the pics. ya know iv'e been thinking about using different tires yet Q2's are the only ones iv'e used(besides oem), i figure for the price they can't be beat... but iv'e had some front slides. and a bad rear slide twice(wondering if its dude to cooking them. they're pretty blue looking.) i really want to push my next TD but im losing confidence in these tires.

·
Registered
618 Posts
@COREY

ha... i almost went down in front of rick clemson (on Q2's) he told me "i saw a black one of these go down a few weeks ago"... i remeber you posted the pics. ya know iv'e been thinking about using different tires yet Q2's are the only ones iv'e used(besides oem), i figure for the price they can't be beat... but iv'e had some front slides. and a bad rear slide twice(wondering if its dude to cooking them. they're pretty blue looking.) i really want to push my next TD but im losing confidence in these tires.
Q2's limits are found very quickly i reckon.. if you want a treaded tire that will perform imo you can't beat Pirelli supercorsas.. off topic a bit i know. But if The Ntecs are overkill , supercorsas are the biz.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
@COREY

I had a front slide at CHuckwalla at Turn 9 going counter clockwise but it was due to really missing my line/apex and being stubborn and telling myself "i got this...i got this." Luckily it slid out for a microsecond and regained traction. The chirp on it was pretty loud too. It was so fast that by the time I realized what happened and said "oh shit" to myself I was already through the corner and the bike already had recovered from the slide.

On that same day I did a mock race and was running 2:09s consistently and the tires felt rock solid...now mind you....my front tire now has 7 track days and my rear has 3.

What I can tell you from my experience with these versus DOTs is that if you're pushing it and have an "I got this moment"...where you know are pushing the limits of a tire then its less forgiving than a DOT. However even a DOT can only withstand so much rider error/erroneous input.

If you reread my detailed review of them, the first day I had a few squirms and they were brand new and I believe I was running 2:06s the first day. On the second day I corrected my form just a tad and the tires felt more planted and I dropped a second.

The trackday after I wrote my detailed review I was at Buttonwillow (configuration 13 clockwise) on a scorcher of a day in August and was running 2:03s. I did have to bump up rear pressure by 1lb and was 33 cold front and back that day.

Now the other thing to keep in mind is are you sure you're not mistaking slides to actual tire feedback? If want to experience grip then slip try the Michelin Pilot Powers. (which I probably just opened another can of worms)

But in all honesty, the best way to know the tires you like or get a real sense of perspective is to try them out. I only know what I know about these tires from my experience riding on various tires like Bridgetstone BT002 DOTs, Michelin Pilot Power 2ct rear, the Dragon Supercorsas, Diablo Rosso front, Dunlop 209s GPAs (green label and red label), Michelin Power Race Mediums, PR4, PR5, PRC front, Diable Supercorsas (on an SV650)--and having a base of comparison between them all.

And to give you another sense of perspective...Jason Pridmore runs these on his Gixxer 1000s for his school and can do 1:54s at Chuckwalla. I rode 2up and watched him from Turn 7 ride super fast.

+1 Tongie...yeah the Diablo Supercorsa tires are sweet! Tried 'em out twice on Al's old SV650...man they are sweet!

So again...do whatever makes you feel confident.

·
Registered
828 Posts
@COREY

let me know when you plan on heading up palomar =) try out the bt003rs i never had any slip from them, always found them reliable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts