Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other night I was on a high bank 180 degree (cloverleaf) type on-ramp, leaned over to the left. My foot was under the shifter as i was in 4th gear and expecting to shift up when.......the toe of my boot scraped the ground and my foot was bumped off the peg. Now was i really leaned over that far? I have no chicken strips on the left side. Just looking at angles I have a hard time accepting that i could physically be at such a extreme lean angle. Was my toe sticking out further then i thought? Any thoughts, i'm trying to come to a better understanding of my actual body position versus percieved position and I'd also like to avoid the surprise of having my toe taken off at high speed

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
You're not duckfooting your pegs are you? If not maybe your toes are slightly off the pegs...like your foot is not perfectly perpendicular to the peg...which is fine...because if you squat down natural tendency is to be at a slant. Squat down and see for yourself. An easy fix is to just bring your foot as close to tbe bike. Have your heels touch the swingarm. Then if it still sticks out, you can always twist your ankle to have your toes start be closer to perpendicular.

+1 to what MGF said. That's what GP Shift is for. However Im still on regular shift pattern and all my instances of dragging toes on the track I never had the need to shift

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're not duckfooting your pegs are you? If not maybe your toes are slightly off the pegs...like your foot is not perfectly perpendicular to the peg...which is fine...because if you squat down natural tendency is to be at a slant. Squat down and see for yourself. An easy fix is to just bring your foot as close to tbe bike. Have your heels touch the swingarm. Then if it still sticks out, you can always twist your ankle to have your toes start be closer to perpendicular.

+1 to what MGF said. That's what GP Shift is for. However Im still on regular shift pattern and all my instances of dragging toes on the track I never had the need to shift
I dont think I was duckfooting to bad, foot was fairly tucked in it felt like. I figured i'd up shift once i was upright (out of the corner) so the toe was somewhat tucked in. I'll deff make sure my heal is good and tight against the swingarm. I think the GP style is going to confuse me haha

As side note its frustrating that I'm very fast through lefts but I have a about a inch wide chicken strip on my right side and go through rights like a old lady lol guess i'm NASCAR style-can only go left

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I dont think I was duckfooting to bad, foot was fairly tucked in it felt like. I figured i'd up shift once i was upright (out of the corner) so the toe was somewhat tucked in. I'll deff make sure my heal is good and tight against the swingarm. I think the GP style is going to confuse me haha

As side note its frustrating that I'm very fast through lefts but I have a about a inch wide chicken strip on my right side and go through rights like a old lady lol guess i'm NASCAR style-can only go left
Most people are better at left turns. I think it stems from the street riding-- if you crash doing a left turn you end up on the shoulder. If you crash doing a right turn you end up in oncoming traffic. Which turn--if you crash on the street--do you have a better chance at surviving?

One of the best things to do is go to well known twisty road where photographers hang out and ride (but try not to show off) and then look at your pictures and you can learn about your form. The best way however is at the track.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Don't upshift when you're leaned to the left, that's what GP shift is for.
Tell that to Max Biaggi ^^

If you're not hanging off sufficiently, the bike can lean more than you would know, and improper foot position won't help. Maybe your shift lever is too low.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts

If you're not hanging off sufficiently, the bike can lean more than you would know, and improper foot position won't help. Maybe your shift lever is too low.
Biaggi isn't GP shift but racers don't generally shift mid-corner either. Downshift on entry, hold steady RPM, upshift on exit. Simple, no toe-dragging, just knee and elbow!

·
Banned
941 Posts
Most people are better at left turns. I think it stems from the street riding-- if you crash doing a left turn you end up on the shoulder. If you crash doing a right turn you end up in oncoming traffic. Which turn--if you crash on the street--do you have a better chance at surviving?
I agree to the fact that most people I know are better at left turns, but I have a different reasoning behind it. In my opinion, its more difficult to counter steer with your right hand since it's on the throttle and you have to fluctuate it through the turn. Much easier to counter steer with your left hand.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts

This is a good point, too. I tend not to hang off enough ... I get the pegs down all the time. Bike leaned more than it needs to, me not getting my body positioning right. Something to work on.

I am also cursed with giant paddle feet.

On bikes I've ridden with GP shift, I actually found it surprisingly easy to get used to.

O.B

·
Registered
516 Posts
Once you learn how to drag your knee the whole dragging toe thing will stop. worked for me lol. I had the same issue. I agree your not getting your ass off the seat enough.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I did that my last track day - scared the crap outta me.

It's funny because I always had the mentality that there's no way I could be leaning the bike over that much cuz motogp guys are basically have their bikes laying on the ground. So i'm always pretty calm and just tell myself no matter how much im leaned - its all good. My toe scraped and checked out some pics on that turn...the bike itself was leaned over wayy too much. Ive been having rearsets issues with my shorty short legs - so its hard to get over with my outside foot still planted. I'm also not COMPLETELY on my tippy toes. Well hopefully with my new rearsets it'll help with my body positioning.

See if you can find some pics of yourself at that turn

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree to the fact that most people I know are better at left turns, but I have a different reasoning behind it. In my opinion, its more difficult to counter steer with your right hand since it's on the throttle and you have to fluctuate it through the turn. Much easier to counter steer with your left hand.
I deff agree that i'm much more uneasy going right b/c the throttle is so sensitive to input. I also figure that when riding on the street right turns tend to have tighter radius. Anyway i'm deff looking into CA super bike school:coolgleamA:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i find if i play with the throttle during a turn i end up floating around and running off my line, i feel better on lefts too but i'm in australia - if we bin a left we end up in the path of the on-comming.

i dont know why rights are my weak side....so i sit here, keen to understand and grow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yep what everyone is saying, get up on the balls of your feet and stop putting your toes under the shifter while you are leaned over. I have only dragged a toe one time on the 675 at that was at the track and I was a little lazy with my body/foot position. Needless to say it surprised me as well since my rearsets are raised up a bit from stock and my knee was also burried on the deck at the time. There were probablly some sweet sparks off my toe sliders when it happened though haha.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
hmm, I must be the weirdo. I can't negotiate left turns to save my life but I can do rights in my sleep...
same here!! rights are so much easier for me than lefts. And I think its quite the opposite for me - I think it's due to the fact that I prefer Rights because the throttle is on my "push" hand and can control everything from there, instead of needing to coordinate the two separately :p

·
Registered
752 Posts
same here!! rights are so much easier for me than lefts. And I think its quite the opposite for me - I think it's due to the fact that I prefer Rights because the throttle is on my "push" hand and can control everything from there, instead of needing to coordinate the two separately :p
Atleast I thought I was good at right turns, my post from earlier tonight http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49404 suggests otherwise.:laugh:

·
Banned
365 Posts
I have a few scratches on my boots from the occasional high camber blacktop.

The obvious theory is if your right handed then your right eye is dominant. and so on
This is a bit out there, but i wonder if the drive was on the right and the disc on the left, it would act the other way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts