Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has seen or had this issue with their shifter.

Last week I took off in the morning to go to work, got to the end of my street, and coming up to the stop sign I tried to click down through the gears from 4 to 1, but it would not shift down, no matter how many times I hit the shifter down.

After much experimenting I found that it does still downshift, I just have to push the shifter down slower. So instead of a quick punch down with my foot, I have to take about a second pushing it down and up in order for it to actually engage correctly.

The shifter is not loose or anything, I checked all the linkage. The clutch is also adjusted perfectly it seems. Maybe it's internal? Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No its while I am moving. Almost feels like its in some sort of inbetween place. You know how you can feel it clicking when u press the lever down. That feeling is not there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There have definitely been times in the past where I could successfully downshift several gears without letting the clutch out, but that is not the case for this problem. Even just downshifting one gear, if I pull the clutch in and slam the shifter down too fast then let the clutch out, it will still be in the same gear. I can do it over and over again, but as soon as I push it down slower, it clicks in just fine.

I've noticed it is by far the most prevelent when shifting down from 4th.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly. In fact I just noticed that sometimes when I'm in 4th gear, I can push the shifter all the way down without touching the clutch, like it's in some sort of weird in between place. You know how normally when your in gear you can barely budge the shifter unless you pull in the clutch or your in the correct RPM range. It's quite odd.

I'm actually gonna take my bike to the dealership tomorrow and drop it off for it's 6000 service, and have them look at it as well. I'll post if I find anything out.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All linkage seems to be tight, although I don't have a ton of experience with it.

I just dropped off the bike at the dealer for some regular 6000 mile maintenance and they are looking into the problem. I will let you know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an 09 20K miles doing exact same thing. All linkages seem tight but if you quickly shift, is seem as though you shift but when you let out the clutch, the gear has not changed. I have to let out slow and make sure the clutch is in the exact right place in order to get a good down shift. Also when in first, if you try to down shift it will click like you were able to down shift instead of being a hard stop.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes! Exactly the problem I'm having! I forgot to mention the downshifting in 1st gear thing but I am having the same issue. Still havnt gotten a call from dealer yet, but I will let u know what it was when I do.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an 09 20K miles doing exact same thing. All linkages seem tight but if you quickly shift, is seem as though you shift but when you let out the clutch, the gear has not changed. I have to let out slow and make sure the clutch is in the exact right place in order to get a good down shift. Also when in first, if you try to down shift it will click like you were able to down shift instead of being a hard stop.
Thought I would give a bit of an update, especially for you Elctrnic enginr, since you seem to have the same problem.

Guys at the dealer rode it, acknowledged there is a problem, and tore it apart. Over the phone they said there are some shifter parts that weren't working correctly together, and they are going to replace them (under warranty! :cool2:). I don't know the exact parts that are bad or whatnot, he sad it was hard to explain, but when I go in to finally pick it up, on Tuesday or Wednesday, I'm going to get the low down.

Elctrnic enginr if yours is still possibly under warranty I'd suggest you bring it in. Otherwise I guess you could just wait until I let you know what the parts were and maybe you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My bike is in the shop and has been for two weeks. The shifting issue was not my only issue. I had an electrial harness that crapped out and was replaced on warranty also. (My bike is less than a year old) Long story short they could not work on the transmission till they fixed the electrical. I just got off the phone with the guys at my shop and they are waiting to hear from the guys at Triumph HQ before the dive into my transmission. Can you tell me where you are and what dealership you took the bike to?

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'll be taking my bike in here soon as well. it's doing the exact same thing but only when i down shift.
feels like it'll grab the next gear then just clicks and doesn't go into that gear. very annoying when you need that engine braking coming into a corner a little hot!
hope your guys' bikes get fixed soon.
thanks for posting this, helped me determine whether or not i'll be putting it in the shop of adjusting something myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey guys, wondering if you got the bikes fixed and if so what was the problem causing the no down shift concern. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey yeah sorry I didn't respond, I thought I did.

It ended up being a small part of the gear change mechanism. I'm not exactly sure on the part name, I believe it's part of the gear change mechanism that's on the other side of the bike, which I don't believe you can see. It's a circular part with small tabs on it. It was a defective part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts