Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 675r, I use it mostly for twisties but just started doing track days on this thing (amazing). They got a moto2 down at the dealership with 0 miles on it and I’m so tempted, but looking a little deeper the engine is only pushing out 10 more bhp. Is there something I’m missing here because it seems almost identical to my bike component-wise. It has a nicer dash but other than that I can’t see a huge difference. Is there something special about it I’m not seeing?
They want 16k for it and will give me (?) for my bike as a trade-in

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mean my bike has a touch less hp but its also lighter, I feel like these cancel each other out a bit

·
Registered
301 Posts
There’s a long thread concerning this I suggest you read it and get all opinions.

Personally I don’t think it is worth the extra money.
First of all it’s a Daytona 765. Calling it a moto2 is a misleading marketing trick.

Here’s a summary
- it has more torque, barely a few more HP than gen 3.

- added TFT dash and electronics suite. Basically everything the previous daytona needed to be the perfect middle weight bike

- carbon fiber body work

BUT

- when it came out you had to pay super bike money to get it.

- Same brakes and suspension as gen3 Daytona 675R. No upgrades. Nix30, TTX, brembo M4 calipers. Same same

-they made it as a parts bin so it has the same crappy mirrors as we have for example.

Personally was not sold on it
Comparing to moto2 as I said is a big
Mistake.

EDIT:
It has stylema calipers not M4
My apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also 2000rpm lower redline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, didn’t see this was already a thread, I’d love to have one don’t get me wrong but it doesn’t seem like a huge upgrade over what I’ve got, except the price tag, question answered

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen them advertised for upper $12k and lower $13k. That feels like a decent price but may not be worth an upgrade.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Value is subjective. I'm probably what some would call a Triumph tragic and have a garage full with a fleet of them. Personally, I bought one for a dedicated track bike. Shop around because the bike is more than a year old now and prices have started coming down.
It's almost the same as a 675...just a bit better. 😉
The bike is a torque monster and jumps out of corners like a kangaroo.
Plus auto blipper 😍.
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
2 Daytona Rs and a Tracer 900GT
152 Posts
I was glad they were so over priced, it saved me a dilemma! They are 1hp more and 1kg less than the gen 3 they're based on. Stylemas, two way shifter and an LCD dash aren't worth $20k (nz) on top of my Daytona! Yes I know they have a few more electronics too, plus nicer clipons and top triple!
The problem Triumph had was the 675 Daytona was so good, and about 4 years ahead of it's time, all through its life. The Moto2 test mule used a stock Daytona frame and they didn't need to touch it!
Having said all of that, I'm sure the 765 is completely awesome in isolation and if you could pick one up for a reasonable price, it would be a great bike to own. Just my 2c..

·
Registered
152 Posts
That dyno graph looks like a full Moto2 one! They're about 140hp. Triumph claimed 128hp at the crank when released, hence my +1hp comment.
Unless you've done a fair bit of work to yours? Or the dyno is 'favourably' calibrated...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Value is subjective. I'm probably what some would call a Triumph tragic and have a garage full with a fleet of them. Personally, I bought one for a dedicated track bike. Shop around because the bike is more than a year old now and prices have started coming down.
It's almost the same as a 675...just a bit better. 😉
The bike is a torque monster and jumps out of corners like a kangaroo.
Plus auto blipper 😍.
View attachment 260111
Auto blipper??? see, I didn’t know this, that’s a huge selling point for me, as I feel it’s the only thing it’s missing at the track, being able to just bang down gears into a corner , thank you, that’s interesting

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
That dyno graph looks like a full Moto2 one! They're about 140hp. Triumph claimed 128hp at the crank when released, hence my +1hp comment.
Unless you've done a fair bit of work to yours? Or the dyno is 'favourably' calibrated...
It's not a Moto2 bike. They don't release their dyno charts to the public. The bike has all of the normal mods you'd do to a race bike. The ride by wire mapping from the factory has seriously limited the output. Once you open the throttle values you can unleash the power. No matter what Triumph claim in their numbers, the bike is capable of 140hp. You won't get that from a 3rd gen 675.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds fair enough. I wasn't having a go, just wondering how much work had been done. 128 crank to 140 rear wheel hp is a fair gain.
I do remember it being stated on the motogp site that the moto2 bikes are tuned to approximately 140hp, to make sure they hold together (obviously). They wouldn't say the exact hp but 'around' that. They (engines) also have to be within 1.5 to 2 hp of each other in random tests.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Sounds fair enough. I wasn't having a go, just wondering how much work had been done. 128 crank to 140 rear wheel hp is a fair gain.
I do remember it being stated on the motogp site that the moto2 bikes are tuned to approximately 140hp, to make sure they hold together (obviously). They wouldn't say the exact hp but 'around' that. They (engines) also have to be within 1.5 to 2 hp of each other in random tests.
The usual full exhaust, air filter, velocity stacks and the magic hands of my mechanic. My 2010 675 went from 108hp stock to 130hp with a Supersport build and some race fuel. I can't afford to rebuild motors too often so I try to keep them relatively "safe".
Ride by wire works differently for power deliver because they essentially de-tune the bike electronically. Meaning you might be giving it 100%WOT but the ECU says no, you don't need that much power and automatically winds back the throttle control to 60% at some stages. It's engine revs and throttle position dependent. Once you tune the ECU to open all of the throttle values to 100% at WOT, you get 100%. A lot of gains can be made very quickly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The usual full exhaust, air filter, velocity stacks and the magic hands of my mechanic. My 2010 675 went from 108hp stock to 130hp with a Supersport build and some race fuel. I can't afford to rebuild motors too often so I try to keep them relatively "safe".
Ride by wire works differently for power deliver because they essentially de-tune the bike electronically. Meaning you might be giving it 100%WOT but the ECU says no, you don't need that much power and automatically winds back the throttle control to 60% at some stages. It's engine revs and throttle position dependent. Once you tune the ECU to open all of the throttle values to 100% at WOT, you get 100%. A lot of gains can be made very quickly.
Sounds good, can I have a go on your bike if I can ever get over the ditch please? Ha ha.
I saw your 675 build on another thread, I'm sure your 765 is quite a piece of kit. Do you have any build photos?
Sorry not wanting to hijack the original thread...

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Sounds good, can I have a go on your bike if I can ever get over the ditch please? Ha ha.
I saw your 675 build on another thread, I'm sure your 765 is quite a piece of kit. Do you have any build photos?
Sorry not wanting to hijack the original thread...
It's still a work in progress. Next on the list is to get the carbon fairings painted.

Motor vehicle Camera lens Automotive design Reflex camera Camera accessory Motorcycle Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Tread Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Musical instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Wood Auto part Land vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Mesh Textile Chair Creative arts Net Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering Automotive lighting Electrical supply Eyewear Gas Art Wood Personal protective equipment

1 - 18 of 18 Posts