Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, to those of you who have dedicated track bike do you change your oil filter after every oil change?

I typically change the oil every 3-4 track days but I also have been changing the filter. This year that will be about every month. Is it safe save myself some money and just do a filter change every other oil change since I'm changing it so often?

I ask because I'm not quite sure what the oil filter is supposed to be filtering. If the filter filters a bi product from degrading oil then I guess I would want to change it every time.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
I do it every time, but that is just out of habit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I change my oil and filter every two track days. I use a Purolator filter, its about $6. Between the filter and Mobil 1 4T...its about a $50 oil change. But thats way cheaper than a spun bearing!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every time. Why risk restricted oil flow and therefore running unfiltered just to save a few dollars. Engines are a lot more expensive then filters.
I was trying to find out if it really is a risk or not. If the filters filter shit that builds gets in or comes from moving parts over time wouldn't it be pointless to change a filter every time you change the oil? ..Assuming you are doing oil changes in between track weekends. I just did a quick 2 minute google search and didn't come up with any thing. I'll keep looking I guess just out of curiosity.

But ya, for 5 bucks i'll just change the filter every time..The ones I was buying I think were 15. In reality I probably should focus more on finding cheaper oil that works. The Mobil 1 has gotten expensive now that I'm changing it so often. And it sounds like my 3-4 days per change needs to be cut in half. That's probably why at my last track day I was missing up shifts like crazy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I change my oil and filter every two tracksdays. If you wanna save some money try using Shell Rotella full synthetic oil. I run it and so do a ton of trackday guys and racers. Honestly my bike runs and shifts just as good with that as it did with the expensive Motul oil. Supposedly guys that have several seasons on that oil aren't getting any excessive wear or anything like that. Just my opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I used to change the filter and oil every track day on my Daytona.

Now that I'm running an SV on the track, it gets changed every 2 or 3. So what does that say about my relative care factor between the two bikes?

O.B

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Dude, I actually went SEVEN trackdays before changing oil and filter because I just didn't have time to do it and did so many trackdays in such a short period of time. I wished I saved and sent it to Blackstone Labs to analyze. That was using the Walmart Supertech oil filter with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10W40 High Mileage car oil.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So why are you guys changing the oil so often? Does it actually give you a benefit? It seems like a serious waste of money to me but I don't really know much about it.

Do you change it with recycled oil or actually replace the oil?

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
So why are you guys changing the oil so often? Does it actually give you a benefit? It seems like a serious waste of money to me but I don't really know much about it.

I typically average every 5 track days. I replace the oil and filter with new oil/new filter.

I would say the benefit is not having to worry about damaging your motor with oil that is overdue.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts

The high engine temps, high rpms, and high speeds(transmission). Break down the oil super fast. After just 4 or 5 track days the oil will be completely torched.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Oil and filter on average every 2 track days. Sometimes 3.

I cane the hell out of my bike, so keeping fresh, uncontaminated oil in the engine is cheap insurance. I'd rather change the oil and the filter than the big end bearings ....

O.B

·
Registered
163 Posts
lazy :nono:

:laugh:
That is funny.
Thanks for the info, I generally run pretty hard even on the street and now I'm starting to wonder if I may be changing oil too seldom. How will you know if it's "torched" I've never run into a problem but rarely keep a bike long enough to notice the difference but hope to keep the one i have now for quite some time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
oil

change oil every trackday or race meeting and filter every two oil doesnt get too dirty to change filter each time but breaks down alot and trackdays are heavy on the oil and are worse than race meeting alot of the time on my last meeting i probely didnt do two hours of track time but trackdays you usually do that and more

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.