Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Any idea if any of the batteries listed below work on the 675? They seem to advertise the 4 cells being for 600cc and under. Another board member also was talking about the lack of a reduction gear on the 675 making them require higher cranking amps.

http://www.motydesign.com/4cell2x2_prod.php
http://www.shop.antigravitybatterie...12v-23Ah-4-cell-Motorsport-Battery-AG2300.htm
The guys at RidersDiscount are of the opinion the 675 really needs an 8 cell battery.

I'd trust them, they put one in their race bike.

sassafras

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i have an 8cell from hordpower and it works great!!! The 675 needs the 8cell because the 4cell battery will struggle to start your 675. The 675 runs a very inefficient starter gear & need at least 150 Amps for proper starting.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Tried it, and no go. You'll get about 5+ seconds of slow cranking, which may start the engine, but only if it's warm out. And this was without headlights and such. Putting around in traffic with headlights would probably kill it as well.

I ended up using the 4-cell in the motard, and getting an 8-cell on the Triumph. Works great.

For street use in colder temps, I would suggest the 12 cell. Or, you can get a disconnect and bring the battery in at night. Those things don't like cold, but they do charge very fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, that amp number is what I was looking for! I guess we do need an 8.
Hey Stamford, I own Antigravity Batteries... and the 8-cell is what you want..BUT there seems to be a certain issue where the 675 and also the CBR600 have the gear reduction which make it a bit more difficult on the 4-cells. While a 4-cell will turn over a GSXR 750 just fine...

In addition we've seen a problem with the 675's having a larger than normal parasitic drain coming from the bike... meaning even though the bike is off and just sitting it is using the batteries energy. The person testing an 8-cell said he let his bike (2009 Daytona) sit for 4 weeks and his battery was at 10v... yet my personal Hypermotard that only has an 8 cell can sit for 6 months and not go below 13v...

The batteries should not be draining that fast. He brought it up with Triumph who stated they went with a larger Amp Hour battery as a fix... but that isn't a fix actually, more of a band aid....There shouldn't be that type of draw on the system when its off. And being that lead has a natural discharge that is much faster than Lithium I would assume there are many batteries going flat in the 675. I don't know if this is across the board or just his bike yet. So what ever battery you get you might want to keep and eye on voltage and check if its draining fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts