Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of Sundays ago, with my husband chomping at the bit to go out after weeks confined to spending the days with me or the in-laws, went out relatively early, dragging me with him. There was some frost on the ground, but nothing to write home about.

Sadly, for me anyway, about 6 miles in on 30mph stretch of road, my front tucked with no warning and down I went bike and all, sparks flying and fairing crunching - nice!

Anyway, I was fine, the bike was not but c'est la vie and thank god for ebay.

Once the bike was upright I walked back up the road to see if I could identify what might have caused such a thing (as I did nothing particularly out of the ordinary, nice constant throttle, no braking and only a slight tilt for a bed). The road was slippy, but that could have been the oil that was now sitting on the bottom of my boot (worn through gearbox casing) but no ice, no frost, no rainbow, no diesel smell - nada, zip.

Conclusion therefore was that tyres were cold, no grip and the wet road combined to dump me off.

Does anyone out there running BT023 who loves them got any ideas of how I may come to like them (love would be going too far). I haven't ever really liked them much in the wet, but in the dry they've been fine.

On the hunt for inexpensive replacements someone suggested that running them on different pressures might help - is he right, is anyone doing this? They currently are set to the fairly standard 36f/42r.

As I'm busily buying up spares to repair my poor wee bike I don't really have the cash to splash to go and buy Dunlops - which is what my husband is using and raves about - so I need to grow some and get to grips:laugh: with the BT023, specially as they have a good 6k left in them!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Man I hate those kinds of lowsides. Hope you're OK and the bike will recover. Everything else being equal, I'll second the tire temp not being up enough.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Glad you're OK.

I'd go with a combination of cold tyres, cold weather and rain too.

If you don't like the tyres then bin them, or rather sell them on eBay, you'll get about £50 - £80 for them if there is plenty of life left in them. Then buy the tyres you want. Confidence in your tyres is at the heart of riding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A couple of Sundays ago, with my husband chomping at the bit to go out after weeks confined to spending the days with me or the in-laws, went out relatively early, dragging me with him. There was some frost on the ground, but nothing to write home about.

Sadly, for me anyway, about 6 miles in on 30mph stretch of road, my front tucked with no warning and down I went bike and all, sparks flying and fairing crunching - nice!

Anyway, I was fine, the bike was not but c'est la vie and thank god for ebay.

Once the bike was upright I walked back up the road to see if I could identify what might have caused such a thing (as I did nothing particularly out of the ordinary, nice constant throttle, no braking and only a slight tilt for a bed). The road was slippy, but that could have been the oil that was now sitting on the bottom of my boot (worn through gearbox casing) but no ice, no frost, no rainbow, no diesel smell - nada, zip.

Conclusion therefore was that tyres were cold, no grip and the wet road combined to dump me off.

Does anyone out there running BT023 who loves them got any ideas of how I may come to like them (love would be going too far). I haven't ever really liked them much in the wet, but in the dry they've been fine.

On the hunt for inexpensive replacements someone suggested that running them on different pressures might help - is he right, is anyone doing this? They currently are set to the fairly standard 36f/42r.

As I'm busily buying up spares to repair my poor wee bike I don't really have the cash to splash to go and buy Dunlops - which is what my husband is using and raves about - so I need to grow some and get to grips:laugh: with the BT023, specially as they have a good 6k left in them!
Is 36f/42r a lot ???
I run 30f/32r on perlli SP

·
Registered
618 Posts
42 is way way way to high ,there's your problem , 36 front and rear should be sweet ,up the rear to 38 with a pillion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Glad you are ok.
Sounds like cold tyres, but as previuosly stated the rear pressure sounds a little high.
I'm no fan of Bridgestones after crashing a couple of times on two different makes of bikes by loosing the front,(racetrack) and after changing tyre brands no issues at all, but there are others here that swear by them.
I always go by "if in doubt chuck them out" as tyres are cheaper than bike repairs and pain sucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts