·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Both sunset ones are superb :cool2:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Mind if I make a few suggestions?

1: Powerline going across, needs to be cloned out. Clone out the telephone pole in the back and the bit of parking line on the lower right as well.

2: Weird crop for me, watch your reflections. Can see the building and cars in the paint.

3: Same as 2, Get down even with the axle of the wheel and shoot straight

4: Too centered, same as #1, plus there's a piece of a car

5: Weird crop, i'd like to see the whole engine, watch your reflections. I can see you.

6: Same as the others that look like it.

I like the angle of 1, 4, and 6, but they are all the same. Got any others from a different perspective? Personally, I like to use a much longer lens. Somewhere 80mm+ on a crop body. Gives it a nice effect.

Here's a few examples that I took to show what I mean:
EDIT: Tried to just get links so I wouldn't put pictures in here. Wouldn't work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmartel/sets/

EXIF Data should be intact on all of those. On the first mazda shot, I used a 40 year old manual focus lens. 135mm f/2.5 at roughly f/5.6. The Camaro shots were around 200mm I think, and the last mazda was at 30mm. Notice how clean the reflections are? I need to re-edit the camaro shots, especially the flash ones to clean up the reflections. I like the close up wide angle shots myself, but it's nice to get some variety.

Don't think that I don't like these photos. Just trying to give you a critique. I like the ones with the skies in the background, but they could be touched up a bit to make them better.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Some nice pictures Logan. Jeff pointed out things I never would have noticed.. but he is the photo guru. :bowdown:

And unfortunately, even if you followed Jeff's advice.. that is still an ugly bike.. :raspberry:

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for pointing everything out. LOL

You have to understand I did this photo-shoot in less than 30 mins and it was in my work parking lot and I was also on the clock. :whistle:
Yes if I had it my way there wouldn't be any cars and I would have photoshopped the the power lines and everything else out. But I did this shoot because his dad is selling the bike and I wanted him to have some better shots than this.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1364.snc4/163604_480306008442_597123442_6000229_385662_n.jpg
If you have ever shot a motorcycle that has more chrome than paint you will find that it's pretty much damn near impossible to remove all reflections.

I was shooting with a 17-40 and 50mm Prime. Also if I was shooting in a hayfield I wouldn't have to worry about a whole lot. lol lol

Anyways it's for a craigslist add

Mind if I make a few suggestions?

1: Powerline going across, needs to be cloned out. Clone out the telephone pole in the back and the bit of parking line on the lower right as well.

2: Weird crop for me, watch your reflections. Can see the building and cars in the paint.

3: Same as 2, Get down even with the axle of the wheel and shoot straight

4: Too centered, same as #1, plus there's a piece of a car

5: Weird crop, i'd like to see the whole engine, watch your reflections. I can see you.

6: Same as the others that look like it.

I like the angle of 1, 4, and 6, but they are all the same. Got any others from a different perspective? Personally, I like to use a much longer lens. Somewhere 80mm+ on a crop body. Gives it a nice effect.

Here's a few examples that I took to show what I mean:
EDIT: Tried to just get links so I wouldn't put pictures in here. Wouldn't work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmartel/sets/

EXIF Data should be intact on all of those. On the first mazda shot, I used a 40 year old manual focus lens. 135mm f/2.5 at roughly f/5.6. The Camaro shots were around 200mm I think, and the last mazda was at 30mm. Notice how clean the reflections are? I need to re-edit the camaro shots, especially the flash ones to clean up the reflections. I like the close up wide angle shots myself, but it's nice to get some variety.

Don't think that I don't like these photos. Just trying to give you a critique. I like the ones with the skies in the background, but they could be touched up a bit to make them better.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Fair enough. I wouldn't put much work into it for a sale ad either, unless I was being paid.

And yeah, the hayfield was pretty easy to shoot in. As far as a chromed out bike, no. But getting close with an UWA lens you can see everything in the paint. I've shot 3 bikes, all triumphs. Got a 4th triumph I'm shooting sometime in the next few weeks too.

Also, the information I posted up should be useful for others as well.

Logan, do you go to photography-on-the.net much?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I have never been their I will have to check it out. Yeah the 17-40 makes it tough but when your shooting with CMOS Sensor Camera a 50mm Prime makes me stand back 50 yards to get a simple shot. I really need a full sensor camera Canon Mark II 5D but considering I just moved down south and really poor that won't be happening for a while.. HAHAH

I do need to start doing more shoots.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You cut part of the bike off in 1 and 2 haha. Go on POTN and check out the transportation section.

It's not that bad on a CMOS sensor. I have a 7D. I still shot those cars at 200mm. Just have to have the room to run around. I shot the camaro in a parking garage and had to stand at the clear opposite end to get a shot with it:

If you go on the forum there you'll see it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. There's a good thread about perspective control and what it does to an image/background
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=672913

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Hokie, I found your pics far cleaner and proffessional, but quite boring, too :coolgleamA: (and not as beautiful, but it's probably in great part due to the fact I love sunsets/rises).

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Hokie, I found your pics far cleaner and proffessional, but quite boring, too :coolgleamA: (and not as beautiful, but it's probably in great part due to the fact I love sunsets/rises).

Ask and ye shall receive...

I need to get a beautiful girl to model bikes/cars for me though. Gotta work with the fiancee on that. It was a hell of a time trying to get her pose alone:

I'll stop posting now. There's more on my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmartel/sets/

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You are welcome to shoot my bike for some practice... :whistle:

And hot girls that would want to model with a bike or a car are a dime a dozen here at the beach. I already have a couple in mind. We should chat... :coolgleamA:
Want to bring one down to San Diego? I'll be moving there temporarily next Saturday. I'm shooting tesposito's bike sometime shortly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts