Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking for awhile about getting into rain tires. Has anyone tried using a rain tire for the winter season? Sacramento usually rains for the better part of all of winter. I survive just fine on the stock tire, but stopping is sometimes iffy and I feel like an old lady in the corners.
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_rain.html
Those be the tires i've been eyeballing,
My question really is, how do they survive on dry pavement? Are they like snow tires for a car where they are destroyed if you put 100 miles on them in dry pavement? I don't mind changing them out with the seasons, but I don't wanna have to swap day to day.

(before any Google hero's come out, Diablo "Wet" is a 190 only)

·
Registered
89 Posts
?

Did you check if that tire came in the right sizes? If you use the checker at the same link you will find they are not available for the 675.

I am sure that they are much better that regular tires for the rain but I know that the racers are always pissed off when they put them on their race bikes and it stop raining. There is a definite loss of grip when it's dry but amazing when its wet. Hard call, personally I would just stick with a good summer tire and take it a bit easy during those rainy days.:whistle:

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Firstly, I'm almost positive they aren't DOT approved. A cop is probably just as likely to bust you with these as with slicks, which is to say not very likely, but still possible and a pain in the ass if he does.

Secondly, why don't you try an all-weather street tire like Pilot Road 2's? They'd be cheaper, last longer, and give great dry performance as well as wet. With those Diablo wets, you'd be able to drag knee in the rain, but do you think you really would or need to? If you ride with them on dry pavement, at the very least you'll get a flat spot in a few hundred miles or less, at worst they'll overheat and chunk all over the road. Try commuting with Diablo Supercorsa SC0 race tires and let me know how long they last. The rain tires would be no better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've rode my Street Triple just about everyday since June of this year (no car) and commute about 40 miles one way. I've been running the Pirelli Angels and have no complaints at all from them. They are wearing awesomely and have great grip in the wet weather. Obviously it's not as aggressive as the Supercorsa, but it gets the job done for my commuting and daily sprinting needs.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#1. Yes it comes in our size, they probably just didn't list for our bike *shrugs*, but I double checked the sizes.

#2. I would be thorougly impressed by the ability of a cop to give a ticket for a tire with LOTS of tread on it, but I already have the TOR exhaust so might as well go out with a bang :whistle: and nowhere did I say knee draggin, but anyone that rides in the rain knows the supercorses are lacking in grip when wet. Just like with a car/truck all seasons "work" for the snow, but snow tires create an awesome level of comfort in even rear wheel drive cars.

#3. Thanks tapcon and fourthreesix, i'll look into the angel, was just looking for something more dedicated to it.
7 years up right, would like to keep it that way and Sacramento is kinda crazy at intersections and painted surfaces due to going 9ish months without rain (oil builds up kinda crazy) When it starts raining here people forget how to drive and I need maximum control-ability. Only time I've ever been hit by a car was in the rain and I kept the bike up, but with more control I could have avoided even being hit.
SoOoo background out of the way, would love more input, but sounds like tapcon you've used the rain tires on the track?

·
Registered
957 Posts
PR2s would be fine...ill never understand why people think they need such high performance tires when they can't/don't plan on using them to even 1/2 of their potential or intended use...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
PR2s would be fine...ill never understand why people think they need such high performance tires when they can't/don't plan on using them to even 1/2 of there potential or intended use...
In my opinion it is because many people believe a tire offers high performance if it provides them with enough grip during their "spirited riding" moments. Draw your own conclusions from there...

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
Another tire for all season with wet wording in the description would be these,
http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/tyres...rt-none/en_US/DIABLO ROSSO CORSA/default.page
Any review on that would be great as well. Been eyeballing these for the summer anyways.
DRC's are a fantastic tire for both spirited street and trackday riding. I used them for the better part of last season for track only purposes. However, I wouldn't recommend them for the rain because they have zero siphons on the edges.

The rains are just going to wear out so damn quick if you use them daily on the road. You'll find that trackday riders will switch back to their normal tires as soon as it stops raining and their is a dry line on the track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem with rain tires is the amount of heat they put out, The purpose of Rain tires to to be able to heat up to get grip in wet conditions and Wic away water. And in dry conditions they WILL over heat and cause the tire to heat cycle and make them worthless. If you really want to try some out I have a set with one lap on them (Pirelli Diablo Rain sc2 120/70 front and 180/55 rear) that I will sell you....200 Shipped

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yea, pretty much what everyone is saying here. You'll chunck the tires once the road goes dry, especially if the temperature goes up.

Regarding the best wet weather brands, check out what folks in England and Holland are using. They get WAY more rain than us, and they do ride in it all winder long. Well, more like Winter, Spring, Fall and a good part of Summer!

If you watch MotoGP, you'll notice a few races last year where the track was wet or started raining. Yet, most of the top guys wanted to keep their slicks on. Sounds crazy, but their fear is that a dry line starts and the rain tire overheats.

By the way, rain tires are not an end all, be all in the rain. I had my first set on a 250 (rainy day). Thought, "hey, let's see what these things will do under heavy breaking", so I gave the brake a nice tug while coming into the paddock.

Almost highsided on pit lane as the front tire slid sideways another 6 feet. A bit embarrassing to say the least.

:whistle:

·
Banned
365 Posts
PR2s would be fine...ill never understand why people think they need such high performance tires when they can't/don't plan on using them to even 1/2 of their potential or intended use...
are you saying you run low performance tires, or that your run high performance tires and utilise their potential %100 of the time?

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
are you saying you run low performance tires, or that your run high performance tires and utilise their potential %100 of the time?
PR2's aren't "low performance tires," they're "appropriate performance" for most road conditions. Technically Diablo rain race tires would be "low performance" on a dry, hot road. Anybody who thinks they need race tires for commuting is a moron or a poser.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Yup, seeing as they are track specific, that's what i was thinking too.
As for the road, the right tire for the right bike. So if it's a daytona you can figure that out;
Is their even a rain specific road tire for the daytona?
I thought that's what the grooves in the tires where for..

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Yup, seeing as they are track specific, that's what i was thinking too.
As for the road, the right tire for the right bike. So if it's a daytona you can figure that out;
Is their even a rain specific road tire for the daytona?
I always thought that's what the grooves in the tire where for..
The grooves in the tire are for rain, yes, but you'll notice the grooves on the stock tires don't go to the edge, and the compound needs to be fairly warm to work well. Triumph doesn't list rain specific tires in the manual, but a good all-weather sport tire like PR2 or Pirelli Angel ST has a lower optimum operating temperature and will wick water away better.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Anyone needing the edge on the road while it rains is retarded, so who cares if there are no grooves ? :whistle:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I ride street, and run PR2s, they are great, long life and really decent traction. I bet they grip better than the "sticky tires" of 5-7 yrs ago.

PR2's aren't "low performance tires," they're "appropriate performance" for most road conditions. Technically Diablo rain race tires would be "low performance" on a dry, hot road. Anybody who thinks they need race tires for commuting is a moron or a poser.
100% nail on the head, exactly.

i was at a local dealer and i see guy come into a dealership and need a new rear tire and the dealer, of course, suggests a sticky tire based on the bike he is riding, not the way he rides...(i bet they sell a lot of tires doing that) i took a quick peek at his bike as i leave and it has 2 in chicken strips and a flat spot down the center....he'll be back in 2k miles or less.

·
Banned
365 Posts
i didn't know that. My pilots have indented logos on the very edge but i think there to mock me 4 not using the last half inch of tyre :rolleyes:
And yeh, taking big corners in heavy rain is kind of miserable and dangerous, unless your racing.
Edit: Do you race Tbone675? because unless you've been to the track, or have been doing laps around roundabouts at 3am to get rid of them, your pretty likely to have some strip on the side/uneven worn tyres. I cant help but think how many crashes have been caused by peeps who should just enjoy their riding and not pimp their tyres.
Sry for edits.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i know for a fact you can run the PR2s all the way out to the edge and get rid of that little marshmallow man.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts