Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675.

after hunting down a power leak, and basically taking the whole bike down to the wiring harness (and being winter in Idaho now) I decided to do a few extra little mods to the bike. I have decided to thermo wrap the exhaust. Now I have been told that it improves Horsepower, but there seems to be some confusion on this. I have a Power Commander III installed as well.

After taking off the exhaust (to wrap it) we saw the butterfly valve. I can assume that the butterfly valve is used to add resistance to the air being pushed through the exhaust pipe. Since the idea of thermo wrapping the exhaust pipe is to improve air-flow but the butterfly valve would prevent this. does anybody have any ideas, thoughts, or opinions on this?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675.

after hunting down a power leak, and basically taking the whole bike down to the wiring harness (and being winter in Idaho now) I decided to do a few extra little mods to the bike. I have decided to thermo wrap the exhaust. Now I have been told that it improves Horsepower, but there seems to be some confusion on this. I have a Power Commander III installed as well.

After taking off the exhaust (to wrap it) we saw the butterfly valve. I can assume that the butterfly valve is used to add resistance to the air being pushed through the exhaust pipe. Since the idea of thermo wrapping the exhaust pipe is to improve air-flow but the butterfly valve would prevent this. does anybody have any ideas, thoughts, or opinions on this?

Jeff
It's called the exup valve, and it is for emissions purposes. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Get rid of it, its a pile of shit and will eventually fail on you. Do a search for "exup" you will find 100's of threads and more info than you could possible ever want on that damn thing.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I know if you take it off with out a remap it won't run very well with low end RPM's....

Please Correct Me if I am wrong
If you install a full exhaust without remapping it won't run very well either...

It's definitely for emissions.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you install a full exhaust without remapping it won't run very well either...

It's definitely for emissions.
I could be wrong. But I thought the intake flapper was for low rpm/torque and the exup was there for NOISE emissions aka so the bike is spitting out 100 dB at idle in traffic. I don't see how closing a little flapper would help with exhaust emissions, maybe to restrict exhaust gas flow to heat up the CAT faster, but that seems far fetched because the flapper is always (lol) working.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Both the intake flapper and the EXUP are to pass the stringent European noise emission laws. The reason you lose power when you remove them is because the bike had to be tuned to run with them.
This. It's not there to benefit power at all. The only reason you loose power when removing it is if you don't re-tune to suit. You get the same/more power once correctly tuned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand what it does, but I'm still curious on what controls it? What tells the servo to open and close that valve?

also, if I do go to a straight pipe, do I just get a tuneboy and re-tune it or is that something my PCIII can do?

·
Registered
946 Posts
The ecu has pre-programmed(re-programmable, via TuneBoy etc.) values of what percentage to have the valve open, at specific engine revs. It controls the servo motor and opens it progressively as RPM increases.

If you go a straight pipe, you can simply disable the valve with TuneBoy or TuneECU and also remove the servo/cables while you're at it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How labor intensive is it to remove the exup valve?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well... I found this thread looking for info on the Titanium exhaust wrap and exhaust wraps in general.

Didnt answer my question though..

I have heard that the titanium exhaust systems should not be wraped or coated. Is that right?

I have a stock gutted system, with arrow titanium slip on. The slip on has a short titanium pipe that connects to the stock mid pipe. Should i wrap the exhaust from the headers to the titanium connecting point, but leave the titanium pipe uncovered?

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
Well... I found this thread looking for info on the Titanium exhaust wrap and exhaust wraps in general.

Didnt answer my question though..

I have heard that the titanium exhaust systems should not be wraped or coated. Is that right?

I have a stock gutted system, with arrow titanium slip on. The slip on has a short titanium pipe that connects to the stock mid pipe. Should i wrap the exhaust from the headers to the titanium connecting point, but leave the titanium pipe uncovered?
I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of your exhaust. It depends on the Titanium alloy they are using.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you!
I asked both DEI and Arrow.
DEI says that they do not have personal experience on titanium exhausts but they have heard both good and bad things. (!!!)
I am still waiting for the answer from Arrow.

·
Registered
352 Posts
well.. I didnt get any answer from Arrow...
I searched well through the forums in the web, and i found some info that Titanium can crack if it is wraped. So i won't wrap the titanium part for sure.
What I also found though, is that wrapping can accelerate the rusting of the exhausts as they can keep moisture.
I then looked at the specifications of the daytona and it says that our exhaust headers are stainless steel. Are they really stainless?? Has anyone noticed any rust on them?

·
Registered
509 Posts
So any luck with the wrapping? I'm about to wrap my headers all the way up to arrow slip on I think. But this whole "cracking" thing worries me...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts