Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to this site and I have noticed people don't like repeat questions, but I did the whole search thing with no luck on the topic so..... forgive me if you all been down this road.

I was recently at my dealership looking at random parts for me bike due to being winter, and having to solve my bike riding itch somehow! When I questioned them as to a the exhausts that I have been looking at I was harshly convinced against them. I told them about my interests in Jardine or a two brothers slip on. The guys there said that they were both pretty crappy and that they would not trust the build quality of either. They even stated that they were something in the terms of like a poor mans substitute for a slip on. They then further tried to convince me towards an arrow or Akropavic. Both also of which I like but a bit more expensive. They sell both these brands and I'm worried that they are just trying to turn me off on my choices to get a sale. They finally stated that I would than need them mapped or tuned and even though just a slip on that they would DEFINITELY not go without getting such done. Am I being had? I know it is "recommended" to get a mapping or tune, but am I going to do long term damage in not doing so? Money is tight and need to save everywhere I can. Can you guys please provide some feed back!? Thanks in advance and I insure my stupidity on here will diminish with time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
haha you might get flamed for a repost but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

lots of people on here have jardine and tbr slipons with no problems. And the dealer can put the tors tune on for you, or you can use tuneecu

however, if you don't use either and run stock, it will run a bit lean, but no serious damage will result.

you don't seem so stupid to me...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha you might get flamed for a repost but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

lots of people on here have jardine and tbr slipons with no problems. And the dealer can put the tors tune on for you, or you can use tuneecu

however, if you don't use either and run stock, it will run a bit lean, but no serious damage will result.

you don't seem so stupid to me...
I appreciate the input. But you scare me a bit with the "no serious damage" remark. I am pretty picky with my stuff despite being cheap. I want the best for my stuff (if I can afford it), hence buying a Triumph :) What minor issues might I be expecting?
I know the mapping for some exhaust are built into the computer and the dealership can hook it up for about $40. However, if it's something of another brand I could be looking at about a couple hundred bucks. . . . correct?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adan, I also see your in NJ. I am from PA myself. I bet your probably going through some withdraws this winter with this weather as well huh?

·
Registered
601 Posts
i go mountain biking alot, but i'm definitely a little depressed.

no serious damage means damage.

you might get a little down on power with no remap and some weird fueling stuff down low.
you can buy the tune ecu cable for less than 30, if you want the remap

Look into getting the exhaust online, the site sponsors have really good prices, and are at least worth checking out.

good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Jardine on my bike and I love it. It was on it when I bought it though and was already mapped. At almost 12000 miles it has caused no issues at all and looks perfect still and I love the sound. I think the dealership just wanted to sell you what they have in stock and make some money.

One other thing though, if money is tight and you have to save all you can, Why would you want to spend money on an exhaust? You already have a perfect bike.

John

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So maybe if I do this I should do it right! So Adam do u make the Vrooom noises when your on your mt. bike to get you by lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know john. It's my new toy though and it introduced me into the bike world. Everything is just so awesome and interesting now and I'm being overwhelmed by the awesomeness of it all. Even though money is tight I'm not "broke" just catious LOL. Jardine was my first choice due to appearance and price. So glad to hear you like it though. Thanks for the feedback guys. Love talking about this stuff and learning new things.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol I drive like an old man at 28. Not comfortable with my skills yet. For now I'm just enjoying the breeze, the scenery, and that wonderful triple sound. Track days will come for me in time. Def a good suggestion though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
agree with adan, do a track day. it will do more for your riding than an exhaust. you will take a class at the trackday which will teach you how to ride better. you work your way up from a very slow pace and by the afternoon you are going much faster than you ever have before. just listen and do what the coaches tell you, go in with a clean and open mind. they know what they are talking about.

as far as an exhaust i like the looks, sound and quality of the arrow and akra(which i have). the others are pretty good too, the TBR is usually pretty damn loud. if you spend money on an exhaust don't cheap out, get a proper aftermarket tune. it was only $45 at the dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You make the track idea very convincing. I may have to step up my choice to one of the two you mentioned above as well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have the jardine and love the sound. i didnt get mine remaped until i put the bmc filter in it. my shop says it wasnt really an issue so if i didnt have the money for the map it wasnt a big deal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You can buy an OBD cable here:
Amazon.com: OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409: Electronics

And then download the free TuneECU software to download the correct map to your bike. There are plenty of writeups here on how to do it.

All of the aftermarket slipons are good and the only thing separating them are your personal preferences in terms of sound and look. They will all really require the TOR tune--but it's the same one for all of them. You just look at the last 6 digits of your VIN to determine the correct map for your bike (again, look at the many writeups here for more instructions).

You can have a dealer do this for $40, but if you buy the cable then you can do all of your own ECU diagnostics later.

sassafras

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It sounds like there are a lot of good compliments on the Jardine pipe. Not really sure why the dealership was so vocal with their opinions on them. Really must have wanted a sale. Sucks because there is not any other triumph dealerships around if I can't trust these guys. Least I know if I get a new pipe of any kind that I can atleast drive around for a bit before I put the money into the mapping or tuning.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow sassafras I was unaware of that. Sounds pretty easy. But forty bucks doesn't sound too bad. This place wants eighty bucks an hour for their work regardless of what it is. Although they said they " can work something out". Guess its ok though because they ate quickly inspiring me to do my own work. And that's def not a bad thing to know the ins and outs of your bike!

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
+1 to the Tune ECU cable, you can pay $40 and get it remapped once, or pay $25 for the cable and remap as much as you want.

I think we've already established that the dealer is full of shit, but the dealer is full of shit. Get the pipe you want, all the brands you mentioned are reputable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
+1 to the Tune ECU cable, you can pay $40 and get it remapped once, or pay $25 for the cable and remap as much as you want.

I think we've already established that the dealer is full of shit, but the dealer is full of shit. Get the pipe you want, all the brands you mentioned are reputable.
Hahaha well I guess you said it best! Good to know that all the brands I'm looking at are good though. I have some research to do yet. The exhaust thread is nice to get an idea of the look and sound but it sucks because all the videos are using different cameras so the sound quality is not going to be the same from one video to the next. Not to mention that some videos are takin far away while others are dam well putting the camera into the tail pipe. Might have to come down to looks in the end. Or possibly whether or not I want to keep the heat shield. Gets hot enough as it is. Thanks for your input as well MGFchapin. You guys have all been pretty nice and helpful thus far.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Both Jardine and TBR make great pipes, and if your dealer is telling you otherwise they are just looking for a sale from a company they stock already(akra/arrow). I'm not saying either of those two are bad, but they (IMHO) aren't any better then the others.

Go buy an OBDII cable from amazon or ebay, download the tuning software for free, download the TOR(triumph off road) map (the default slip on map basically), and load it onto the bike and your done.

If your looking to get this stuff done on the cheap, keep your eye out in the parts section of the classifieds, there is almost always a slightly used TBR/Jardine for sale at good prices. And i have yet to come across a fellow member that i wouldn't buy from again.

Just tell your dealer to go pound sand and do it yourself, there are lots of "how to's" floating around this forum for just about everything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks faheygf87. I didn't know the forum had a classified section to buy stuff! That would be a nice path to go for sure. Do you have to be pretty computer literate and does it take long. As a matter of fact I may go to a search for this quick. I'm on a cell phone so might be a bit difficult lol. Like the idea of doing it myself though. I don't know much about my bike so this should help me learn some more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts