Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 675r with nearly 40,000 miles as my primary commuter. Riding home the other day I felt a light pop and then had reduced power. It got me home and I started tearing it down. Low and behold one of the exhaust valves broke off and was disintegrated. The valve did make a couple impacts with the piston but it doesn't seem cracked. Not having my bike is killing my commute her in southern CA. So my question is just slam a valve in it and get it back on the road, tear it all the way down and replace the piston, or replace all pistons and valves.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tear it all down! The sharp edge of the piston damage are detonation triggers as well as major fatigue risers. It will surely fail if you just put in a new valve. Likely your cylinder has some some scaring as well.

ALSO, you likely have some bearing damage on the lower end... do a full tear down and check everything, else you may be buying a spare engine (if you'd like to ask how I know...)

Now the big question, how did you toast a valve? Tune or tight valve clearances are my first guess

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tear it all down! The sharp edge of the piston damage are detonation triggers as well as major fatigue risers. It will surely fail if you just put in a new valve. Likely your cylinder has some some scaring as well.

ALSO, you likely have some bearing damage on the lower end... do a full tear down and check everything, else you may be buying a spare engine (if you'd like to ask how I know...)

Now the big question, how did you toast a valve? Tune or tight valve clearances are my first guess
No tune, will never know the tolerance on that one but I checked the rest before I pulled the basket an theu were all good. I have had an exhaust leak for a while which in the process for the valve I found no gasket on that cylinder header but hard to imagine an exhaust leak causing this but maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts