Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a 675R (2012) with kit harness and kit ECU. I actually have 2 pcs of KIT ECU due to some issues at an early stage. I may think one of the ECU's is bricked, and this one have an rpm limit at 13900, but the ECU have some hickups at the moment and will not rev above 12k. The other one has an RPM limit at 14900 (!) which is way above waht I want on my stock engine.

My issue now is that I struggle to connect with both of my ECU's and when I finally got connection with the one that has 14 900rmp limit the connection where lost in the moment i started a download. But ECU still seems to work and I can use without any problems. But I now start to have trust issues on these ECU's.

My question: Do someone in here have any other ideas on how limit the RPM wihtout breaking the wallet and go for a Delta ECU or something like this? It seems like I can't get conection anymore with either of the ECU's. If I were able to connect and download map there will be a no brainer to lower the RPM on the ECU I trust the most.

A provisinal solution I have thought about is to raise the AFR so the mixture will be waaaaaay to rich above 13 900 and not changing gear at this moment will be unnatural. But this is a last resort solution only...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use TuneECU to change the rev limit... TuneECU_Start
I have tried that, and as wrote, the last time i tried the download failed. After this I have struggled alot to connect with either of the ECU's using TuneECU. I ahve always struggled a bit, but at least I am able to establish connection at the end. So now I want to see if there is any alternative to set the rpm limit.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
You failed to mention anything about using TuneECU. If you have a kit ECU why not use the TRACS software?
Personally I think the problem is with your cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see I actually didnt mentioned that. It worked fine before with this cable, and now it seems like I have noe chance of getting conenction.
TRACS will be too expensive. Found one on eBay, but if the USB doongle has already been connected to 3 ECU's you need to buy new licenses.

I would like to hear if someone here has expereince with soft cut on PCV, Delta ECU or other devices that might be possible to adjust the rev limit? As stated, I am getting a bit tired of the kit ECU and the connection to these.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I see I actually didnt mentioned that. It worked fine before with this cable, and now it seems like I have noe chance of getting conenction.
TRACS will be too expensive. Found one on eBay, but if the USB doongle has already been connected to 3 ECU's you need to buy new licenses.

I would like to hear if someone here has expereince with soft cut on PCV, Delta ECU or other devices that might be possible to adjust the rev limit? As stated, I am getting a bit tired of the kit ECU and the connection to these.
Are you by any chance using the old and unsupported TuneECU version for Windows? If so, then use the current Android version instead. I have the same bike with kit ECU and have no problems with Android. But your experience with trouble connecting sounds like mine before I stopped using Windows. Also, I have a spare ECU if you're interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you by any chance using the old and unsupported TuneECU version for Windows? If so, then use the current Android version instead. I have the same bike with kit ECU and have no problems with Android. But your experience with trouble connecting sounds like mine before I stopped using Windows. Also, I have a spare ECU if you're interested.
You are correct on that one :) So let the noobie question begin: I guess I will need a new OBD adapter (bluetooth) and also I dont have a tablet, hope it is supported for mobilephone as well (O have not done any research at all on this one)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Small update: I have a mobilescan bluetooth ODB adapter - connected to the bike, downloadad TuneECU on Android, wokred like a charm. Next question. Cant see that I have any places where I can read / write to the ECU - remember, the only thing I want is to adjust the RPM limit :)

Edit: saw now that the only way to reprogram (write?) is via cabled OBD. Any suggestions? Will it work with my old cabled OBD (which SOMETIMES worked) via an USB-C to USB ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Small update: I have a mobilescan bluetooth ODB adapter - connected to the bike, downloadad TuneECU on Android, wokred like a charm. Next question. Cant see that I have any places where I can read / write to the ECU - remember, the only thing I want is to adjust the RPM limit :)

Edit: saw now that the only way to reprogram (write?) is via cabled OBD. Any suggestions? Will it work with my old cabled OBD (which SOMETIMES worked) via an USB-C to USB ?
TuneECU for Android uses the same USB OBD cables as the Windows version. You just need a USB OTG adapter. Some devices may require you change a USB setting to get it to work. For unlocked ECU's (gen 1 and 2), TuneECU can only read/write maps using a USB adapter (not bluetooth). For gen 3, you need a very specific bluetooth adapter to write maps to the locked ECU, but it still cannot read maps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TuneECU for Android uses the same USB OBD cables as the Windows version. You just need a USB OTG adapter. Some devices may require you change a USB setting to get it to work. For unlocked ECU's (gen 1 and 2), TuneECU can only read/write maps using a USB adapter (not bluetooth). For gen 3, you need a very specific bluetooth adapter to write maps to the locked ECU, but it still cannot read maps.
Ok, easier said than done. It worked with my first kit ECU. I get to read information from the ECU telling its an Keihin, and serial number +++. Also got to read map from it and reprogram it.

The other ECU, it says "??????" on ECU type, but I do get a serial number etc. I am not able to read the map (yes it is a KIT ECU, but maybe an older or newer version). This is the ECU I am using to day and want to adjust the rpm limit on. I guess I will have to try to just download a map to it? I guess there is no other way to set the rpm limit?

And why am I able to read the map from one of the kit ECU and not the other?

Thanks for all the advices though, you made my life a lot more easier (and cheaper since I was looking at going for full Delta ECU setup!) :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok, easier said than done. It worked with my first kit ECU. I get to read information from the ECU telling its an Keihin, and serial number +++. Also got to read map from it and reprogram it.

The other ECU, it says "??????" on ECU type, but I do get a serial number etc. I am not able to read the map (yes it is a KIT ECU, but maybe an older or newer version). This is the ECU I am using to day and want to adjust the rpm limit on. I guess I will have to try to just download a map to it? I guess there is no other way to set the rpm limit?

And why am I able to read the map from one of the kit ECU and not the other?

Thanks for all the advices though, you made my life a lot more easier (and cheaper since I was looking at going for full Delta ECU setup!) :)
The map parameter is the only way I know of to set rev limit. I think both my ECU's are A1290676. The digits are on a label above the text "FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY". The 2011+ race kit manual has part number A9618098, but it was replaced by A1290676.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts