Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just installed some crash protection / frame sliders for this track day season (I've been meaning to do it for a few years!) so thought I'd make up a mini write up.

Bought the GBRacing full kit from here (clicky). More expensive than some of the other cheapy places but seemed better quality.

Cost was around $AUD480 delivered from the UK. This is how it looked. Seemed of very high quality, perfect fit. Nice touch was that it included relevant torque values for the bolts without having to look them up, all replacement bolts and instructions.

No problems installing the case protectors and the frame sliders.

Included the front and rear protectors (didn't get a pic of the shark fin chain protector)

Got a little dark by the time I came back and finished the job, but I was happy with how it came out

Overall very happy with the product and process. Quick shipping, took about a week from UK. Easy to install, the only slight hassle was bike-related such as getting a spanner on the nut behind the engine mount and getting a hex key system that would fit my torque wrench. There are pros and cons with having these on the bike, but I decided it was worth it since I'm doing about 4 track days a season and this will give some protection from a low side if that ever happens.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wonder if discount rider would also include the torque values. Seems like a nice and considerate gesture

·
Registered
278 Posts
on the labels of the engine case protectors, they include the torque values. I believe it's 8n-m for the includes hex cap screws. Also you can use SERVICE manual specs. not sure about the other additional parts like sliders.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sweet good to know.

What's up James from ocmoto! Hows your Daytona??

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just installed my GB racing protection kit last night! Pretty straight forward...But i have a novice question - i just hand tighten everything. I didnt use a torque wrench. is that a problem? Do i have to go back and properly torque it?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just installed my GB racing protection kit last night! Pretty straight forward...But i have a novice question - i just hand tighten everything. I didnt use a torque wrench. is that a problem? Do i have to go back and properly torque it?
The torque specs are basically "hand tight" but I'd suggest you do a proper job with a torque wrench when you go over them again after your first ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Great! Nothing really much to do for me other than ride as well haha.

Nonetheless, I'll probably be accumulating bits and pieces for her over time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just had mine installed yesterday on my 675R. DO NOT hand tighten them, there's a difference. Most small bolts are 8nm, while the engine mount bolts are 48nm. Puck bolt is 25nm. Again, THESE ARE NOT HAND tighten torque specs. Do not over tighten them.

Love the quality of this kit, couldnt be happier with the result.

p.s. The kit comes with the torque spec under the cover of each package with instructions.

-AzEKnightz

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is this kit still available? I clicked on the link and it goes no where. Also, do the engine covers fit over the existing, stock covers? Thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
after trying to figure out which frame sliders i'm gonna get; i think i might just pick up the whole kit from TJ...i don't think you can go wrong and eventually upgrade to woodcraft case covers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Am I only the only person with a problem with this kit?

My alternator generator cover does not fit at all...

3 bolts go in. 4th... you can just forget about it...

Anybody else have fitments on a 2007? I am assuming 06-10 would be same
but it definitely doesn't fit...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nope,

Mine fitted perfectly, bought it years ago for my 2007 Daytona and moved the kit over onto my 2010 model when I replaced it. Fits both bikes perfectly, only squeeze was the engine mounting bolts behind the radiator, just took a little patience. Had no problem with the other bits. Perhaps contact your dealer and make sure they sent you all triumph parts? They do make for the rice rockets as well. I did receive some chap from wiltshire's order the first time and that was a bit of a disaster seeing as I was in South Africa :) I see they have dealerships all over the world now so that's great, I had to import mine directly from the UK at the time. http://www.gbracing.eu/info/Dealerships.43.html?osCsid=4b6c65210c849ab1f3f1677bebc9cca2

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got this kit and have most of installed. I was able to get the right side engine bolt behind the radiator. The left side seems more difficult and I'm running out of daylight.

Any suggestions on tools or techniques to get the nut behind the radiator on the left side?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Am I only the only person with a problem with this kit?

My alternator generator cover does not fit at all...

3 bolts go in. 4th... you can just forget about it...

Anybody else have fitments on a 2007? I am assuming 06-10 would be same
but it definitely doesn't fit...
I actually had a similar issue with my install - however I have a 2012. I got all the pieces on except the stator/alternator cover - the thing sort of "floated" on top of the OEM stator cover I thought maybe it was going to snug up so I put all four bolts in loosely, hooked my torque wrench up, and proceeded to eventually crack two of the mounting points when the plastic shattered. Very puzzled until I found out with the help of TJ that my 2012 D675 had a 2010 stator cover on it (covers were updated in 2011 apparently). I was super pissed that Triumph put an old gen part on my brand new 2012 D675 - was going to call up my dealer and let loose. But TJ calmed me down, I got a proper stator cover for my screwy bike, and everything went on without a snap (pun intended). So check into the part on your bike - make sure you don't have a different OEM stator cover from a different year.

And thanks again to TJ and the Crew at Riders Discount!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts