Triumph675.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the head off for valve work on my 2014 Daytona 675R. I have a new head gasket, but the manual says to also replace the "barrel" (cylinders) base gasket too. Is the base gasket as critical to replace?

The manual instructs to split the cases and remove the pistons in order to replace the base gasket, which I'd like to avoid if possible. It seems it might be very difficult (or impossible?) to get the cylinders back over the pistons without splitting the cases. I'm thinking trying to get a ring compressor or fingers inbetween with a short stroke will be tough.

I'm leaning towards replacing the gasket since it'd be pretty awful for it to leak and having to tear the engine out of the frame again and buy new head gasket/nuts which are over $100. Just want to know what I'd be getting into either way..

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I would replace it. Like you said, you don't want to go to all that effort only to have to do it again or possibly live with an oil leak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would replace it. Like you said, you don't want to go to all that effort only to have to do it again or possibly live with an oil leak.
Thanks. I ordered the base gasket so I'm planning to do it. Still trying to think about how I'll get the pistons back in without splitting the cases per the manual. The barrels extend inside the crankcase so it might have enough room to compress the rings by hand or some other means. Worst case I have to pull the cases apart.. I'm interested in doing that someday but would like to avoid it for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts