Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Hoping you can help shed some light on an issue I am having with my 2010 Daytona 675.

I went for a ride on Sunday and when I got back set out cleaning an lubing my change. I also gave the bike a clean (spray and wipe - no water).

All good. Went to start her up to move her back into the garage an just get a click, no turnover. D'oh.

It was a hot day, although she didn't overheat on the ride so I figured I would let her cool off and try again. Same deal.

Here is what happens:

1. Turn on ignition. Display lights up, engine light and oil light on (as normal).
2. Put her in neutral and hold in clutch lever. Hit ignition. Click but not turnover.
3. When I hit the ignition the engine light goes off, the coolant temp warning light comes on and the coolant temp gauge runs up to full bars, back to zero bars and flashes a few times.

* I checked the coolant level and while it is on the low side it is not below the marker.
* I don't believe there is any issue with the battery (although I have not checked the voltage yet).
* The bike is a smidge overdue for its second service time wise.

I am wondering if she could be low on oil although I didn't see any warning lights during the ride.

Any suggestions as to what the issue could be?

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Is it possible that you accidentally left the key in the ignition and in the ON position? Or possibly turned it to far into the PARK position? Sounds like a dead battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Low Voltage...

Hi folks,

Thanks for you replies.

I just checked the battery.

Ignition Off = 10.5V
Ignition On = 8.4V

I don't think I left the ignition on while I was cleaning the chain however I guess it is possible (FAIL :doh:). There is a trickle charger attached so I will try charging her up and seeing if she holds the charge.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
wARRenty repair time.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she came to life this morning after an overnight stint on the charger.

Looks like the coolant level is a little low so I'll be heading out to get some today (any suggestions?).

Then off she goes for a service and check-over.

Thanks for all your help folks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
How many k's you done?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Id be curious to see if its the RR, ive done 5,500km's and had no issues. Maybe im lucky like a few others here that havent had any issues.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I was going to say reg rec last night but thought I'd wait to see what charging the battery did.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I would keep an eye on it. Measure it just off the charge and then after you have ridden it. I have an 06' and haven't had any issues with my RR, have had to replace the battery due to draining it a couple of times.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well, she came to life this morning after an overnight stint on the charger.
Did you confirm the charging system is working by measuring the voltage at the battery while the bike is running? should be close to 14V
as for coolant any ethylene glycol stuff from auto shops is ok in the correct ratio (details in the owners manual)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Careful with adding coolant.. When cold, it should be on the Min level. If you fill it up to much, he will be doing a wee once he gets warm..\\

My TT is a bit notorious for it ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you confirm the charging system is working by measuring the voltage at the battery while the bike is running? should be close to 14V as for coolant any ethylene glycol stuff from auto shops is ok in the correct ratio (details in the owners manual)
I checked while running and it sits at 14.05V so it looks like it is ok.

She is going in for a service tomorrow so I will get them to check it over but at this stage it looks like I may have had a brain spasm and left the ignition on whilst cleaning the chain. D'oh! :whistle:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, all checked out OK by the mechanic. He did mention that a few people have had issues with the r/r's though. He even mentioned one customer who had his die, then come back to life for a few months and then die again... Weird.

However it looks like this was a case of operator failure on my part. :1banghead:

Thanks again for all the advice and help people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts