Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I searched high and low for this and can't find anything. So I was wondering if any of you have a Triumph/Datatool alarm on your D675? If so, has anyone successfully done the ignition key integration with the alarm fob yet? :huh:

The dealer who installed it didn't appear to know that much about it. They just muttered something about "cutting the plastic off the key and sticking it in the fob". :wtf: Which is all well and good, but I'd really like a diagram or to hear it from someone who's done it first hand before I start cutting up one of the two keys for her... :doh:

So, has anyone here done it or anyone have some documentation on how to do it? I'd really appreciate some guidance on this one. :help:

Likewise, if it's a #@!% idea altogether, and it's best to leave the two separate; I'm all for that feedback too.

Cheers,

r/.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've done it. But tt's not only "taking the plastic out" of the key. You have to cut the key and drill it ( took it to a key maker and he did all for me). Also don't forget to put the "little plastic thinguie" ( that's the technical name) that should have come with the alarm fob, otherwise it's a really loose fit.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
one of the members on here posted about this last year it's a nice idea but it puts a strain on the alarm fob and they end up breaking, so i would be inclined to put the fob on the neck lanyard thats supplied or something similar.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've got the alarm fob cable tied to the key. Dealer supplied it like this then I tried the lanyard and didn't like it at all - went back to the cable ties.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that JP, I'm sure that would have had be scratching my head for a while. I knew it was being pitched as a little too easy... lol

I've got the same concerns that Firestarter posted - how strong is it? Will it stand up to day-to-day life? Cause she's my daily rider, so that key gets used a lot.

It all looks nice in the pictures, but I'm worried being pulled in and out of jacket pockets, being tossed on tables and pushed in and out of the ignition might lead to an early death for both of them.

How long has yours been going JP?

Yeah, the lanyard idea doesn't thrill me either Eantics, might have to stick with the key ring too...

Cheers for all the advice guys! Much appreciated!

r/.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

i bought the triumph/datatool alarm from a member here, i fitted it myself and did the mod for the key to fit the fob.

i dont understand how it could be call flimsey or how people would break one. once you cut off the key head and fit it to the fob it is shorter. and you are only turning the ignition barrel around , not trying to turn the bike with the bloody thing, i believe alot of stress is placed on the key when removing the seat. if you place downward pressure on the seat it is easier to turn the seat lock
other people who recieved thier bikes with the fob separate to the key , i would think the dealer did not want to cut your new key or did not realise it could be put together. the fobs are supplied looking blank. you take out the insert and fit the other spacer supplied to fit your style of key.(different countries have different keys?)
i personally dont like the idea of the fob flapping around in the breeze bashing the abrrel and ignition switch and top tripple tree and probably self destructing .
i see a lot of abuse with ignition keys thru my work and cant under stand how people break $400 remote keys. my wife and i own vehicles with these and 1 is 5 years old in perfect condition.

the fob conversion is neat and you dont have to fumble around finding the button to arm or disarm the alarm.as far as cutting the key , you cut it off close to the black protector , clean up the cut edge. find the correct spacer and place in the fob, mark the key through the hole, remove and drill it then put it all back together placing the screw thru, and all done.now i have only done 1 key and the spare is in my triumph pouch. if 1 dies you have a spare, but be warned when you only have 1 working , get a spare asap. been down that road before , nightmare when trying to get a key when you have none.

as stated just my 2 cents

cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers sitrucmit675. That explains what those "spacers" are for. Part of the muttering from the dealer was suggesting they were leftover spacers from the installation lol. No mention that they were for the fob.

Now it's making more sense! I can see how it clamps down on the key now...

Will go and have a chat to a locksmith and suss out the drilling issue.

Cheers again guys,

r/.

·
Registered
21 Posts
alarm

i have the datatool alarm system on my d675 i have just installed a race seat cowl and had to move it 1.because my pc 3 sits next to battery and 2 have nowhere to put the alarm box but it will sit under the seat cowl problem is i need to exstend the cable to do this.please could anybody help open to suggestions.thanx

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a new key cut an then cut the plastic off ground down the key shank drilled it and fitted it to the (with the little plastic thingy) alarm fob and have had it like that for 1.5 years it has not come loose or snapped (rock solid) and it beats the lanyard choke or inserting the key with with alarm disarmed only to find a distraction and a re-armed imobiliser means you have to get the alarm fob back out of your pocket and repeat the process.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, I did it myself no problem. You can buy key blanks off ebay for next to nothing if your local key cutter can't source them. then you just saw them down to size and drill a hole. I hadn't been given the spacers so I had to make some. I had no problems with the key at all. Unfortunately that bike got squashed and I now just have the keyfob flailing around on a keyring with the ignition key, it gets smacked all over the place but 2 years on now and I've not had a problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
where did you get the datatool alarm at? is it better than others and what does it consist of???siren, remotestart, ign kill, starter interrupt, tilt sensor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts