Triumph 675 Forums banner

CVMA # 240: Round 5 First Race Report

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jdgun_13 
#1 ·
I had passed New Racer School almost a year ago to the day and decided to participate in Round 5.

Friday trackday:

Dumped my bike on Friday coming over the top of Garcia Hill due to a a rider who parking it right in the apex. Instead of picking the bike up and riding off track I hit the front brake and lost the front (my fault and lesson learned). Luckily it wasn't a very fast corner so damage wasn't too bad. Protection bits did their part but I somehow managed to snap my shift rod. Attack Performance was there so I was able to snag a replacement and meet Danny Eslick which was pretty cool (also on a Daytona 675).

Saturday:

Missed the first practice after a tire change and not enough time with them on the warmers. Made it out to the second one and managed to get down to a 2:02.837. Ran qualifying and if I remember correctly ended up with a slower time than my practice session but landed on the 4th grid.

Amateur Supersport Middleweight

First race and all I kept hearing about was how this was one of the larger grids CVMA has had. This made me even more nervous for my first race. Didn't get the greatest start and fell back in the field but had some good battles. There was a couple crashes and a restart for the race which provided me with a second chance at getting a better start. Ended the race in 10th place which isn't bad for a field of 20+ riders with a best lap of a 2:02.538

Amateur Formula Middleweight

On the grid in 12th but a great start which allowed me to climb up to 7th into turn two. Unfortunately, I just lacked confidence entering the turns and with passing. Lost multiple positions and landed myself in 11th at the end of the race with a best lap of 2:01.787.

At the end of the day I was happy with the results but knew I had much to improve upon.

Sunday:

Amateur Supersport Middleweight

Once again I was placed on the 4th grid, however, the slot in front of me was empty. Managed to get a pretty good start and made a pass on the inside of my buddy coming out of turn 1 and another rider out of turn 2. Going into turn 4 I was in 4th and kept a comfortable pace and eventually chasing down # 824 and battle with him for 3rd. Eventually I was able to hold him off and secured my first podium which was an awesome feeling. I ran my personal best in this race with a 1:57.463 which was also the fastest lap of the race :naughty2.

Amateur Formula Middleweight

A decent start landed me into 6th out of turn two. I found myself in a 5 way battle for 3rd the first 4 laps. I tried to be a little to aggressive into turn 1 and hit the inside rumble strip with my front tire and didn't want to risk trying to make the turn and ran off. I kept the bike upright and rode back on to the track to finish in 13th with a fastest lap of 1:59.909.

Overall, I had a blast. Dropped my times by almost 7 seconds from beginning to end, managed to snag a podium and brought myself and the bike back in one piece (although a bit banged up). It was a great experience and all the riders out made it very enjoyable.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks Sloan! As far as passing, that is exactly what I am hoping for. There were a lot of new racers in my class and after what happened during my trackday didn't want to rule out the possibility of someone doing something stoopid.

I will say that I had a blast and need to now switch to a Top Ramen diet so I can save money for tires and entry fees! :rofl2:

#6 ·
Yeah, there will always be days were a couple people act like idiots but thats all it takes to cause an issue. Especially in the middleweight classes. For the most part, those days are rare.

Good luck.
Yeah and I won't have a problem with them as long as I stay in front! Thank you!

Here is the footage from my race. Probably a little boring but I am proud of it haha

#7 ·
You sir are motivating me to attend the race school in april up here in Portland.. So can i get my old wheels back?! JK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.