Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Yes, take the risk and save your bike

Votes: 17 81.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's what's your experience with engine sliders on the track? Im aware of the massive damage from bungs digging in and flipping bikes, also they can be a god sent .Im also using woodcraft engine covers and full GB kit, axle sliders etc,etc.. Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
From what I've seen happen at the track, they are a 50/50 bet.

In a lowside where they just slide along a smooth surface, they seem to work well. In a lowside where they slide and catch a kerb or similar, they can cause flips.

Depending on a million variables including the brand/type of slider and where they attach, they may or may not damage the frame.

And you have to bear in mind that sliders ain't sliders. Many brands claim to be made of "a low friction material" and reckon they'll let the bike slide "smoothly." LSL, among others, by comparison use high friction material to slow the slide as quickly as possible (I can see the logic in this) and an asymmetrical design that supposedly helps stop the bike spinning as it slides.

I have done some thinking and chosen to run sliders ... I also run full GB Racing engine case protection.

O.B

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Have them on the street bike, not the race bike. Its really a 50/50 like O.B said, and it definitely depends on a ton of variables.

I do however, have front axle sliders, rear swing arm sliders, and woodcraft engine covers on the race bike. Worked very well in my 90mph lowside.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've seen a lot of race bikes with them but they have been cut down so they are almost flush with the fairing.

They don't stick out so can't dig in, but still protect the frame in a crash.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh ill run my engine cases + the full GB racing kit, now where's that hacksaw??
Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I'm running them on mine. Mainly track days but doing Tassie in Feb as well.

This makes me think I need some 'spare' pucks I can cut down....

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm running them on mine. Mainly track days but doing Tassie in Feb as well.

This makes me think I need some 'spare' pucks I can cut down....
I saw your bike at Broadie last year after a "slight mishap", they save you heaps of damage.. i might be buying a daytona soon , that's why i was asking the question. I have been using full GB kit on my street triple for a few years but was lucky not to have an off.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Never crashed (or dropped) my 675...
Juz did on the D6 at Broady though. Might've been that bike you were thinking of.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
This is a picture of my Moto GSC sliders after a very hight speed crash at Roebling. It saved all the engine casings and frame.
Important was that they had the bracket and two points to bolt it to the frame it a much sturdier design. I do not like the 1 bolt design, they break off too easily and can cause a lot of damge to the frame or engine mounting. My (now) track bike which I bought as a crashed salvage had the 1 bolt deseign and I had to re-machine the engine case because it had screwed up the bolt face surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
f*** that sh**. they flip the bike ive had 3 crashes this year. The first time my right one got ripped out of the socket and my bike flipped like crazy. The second time my left one literally broke and again the bike flipped and got fd up. the third time was my hardest crash and the bike sustained the least amount of damage because i didnt have frame sliders.
period

·
Super Moderator
11,899 Posts
Well for every story like that there is certainly another countering it. For example one of our 675s has been on the track for 3 seasons with the crappy single mount sliders and has gone down 5 times and has never flipped and has always resulted in very minimal damage to the bike and body work thanks to the sliders.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been running them on the track and can tell you they saved me a lot of $$$ when i lowsided, no flips or circus stunts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was just at JenningsGP on Friday, and one of the riders on a R6 went down. She lowsided in a a left hander. The frame sliders on her bike were positioned according to the manufacturer, but they still allowed contact with her engine case cover. Her little off ended up grinding right through the engine cover and throwing oil all over the track.

I guess the moral to the story is that sliders work, but you need to make sure they are going to protect the parts that are important to you. Not all sliders are created equal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts