Triumph675.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all... this is my first post on the forum...
my bikes a 2008 daytona 675, and i live in oakland/bay area...

i love this bike a lot, but recently i’ve been having issue after issue , mostly related with the charging system, and i can’t tell you how many times it’s left me stranded.... anyway so i’m gonna try and explain my current symptoms the best i can, and keep it short and to the point...

ok about 2 months ago bike wouldn’t start and i noticed it was
only charging at around 13v... i kept putting off replacing the stator, and instead would either make sure to park it on a hill where i could jump it, or i started carrying a small jump box with me, and would just use that to start it up... it got to a point where i was getting no charge whatsoever, and i finally just ordered a new stator and r/r...
when i pulled the old parts i did notice the stator plug had melted, which is where the probs came from..

so i installed new parts and everything was great... 14+v’s charging, and things were great for like 4 days... then my bike wouldn’t start... i inspected things and found that same plug had melted again...
contacted seller, and they sent me a new r/r. i installed this one, only this time i hard wired it to the stator. i went to start it, and it just now cranks and cranks.. won’t fire.
my first thoughts were the crank position sensor... i checked resistance and it’s around 200ohms... then with my multimeter on ac, i had a friend crank the engine while i probed the cps connector, and i am def seeing a small voltage spike...

i also tested the same wires at the ecu connector, to make sure there wasn’t any breaks in the wire and the signal was actually reaching the computer... all good.
i pulled the air box, and checked for
spark at the plugs... nothing...

now here’s something interesting....
yesterday before pulling the airbox, i did get the bike to fire up... and as it was idling i lowered the tank, and as soon as it lowered completely, the bike shut off instantly, and since then i haven’t been
able to get it started back up... with the tank up, down, nothing...

anyone have any ideas on what i can
check next? this is getting real old at this point, esp being that it’s my only transportation...
ok thx in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i’m out at the bike again, and literally ready to pull my effing hair out. so i’m still not getting spark, and i am focusing on the cps... when i do a resistance check on it, i’m getting .213 k ohms.... is that a proper reading? and once again, when i am checking for any ac voltage, i am literally checking at the ecu plug, just to make sure that there’s no breaks in the line, and i’m getting 2+/- volts while cranking... i’m pretty sure that’s a correct reading as well...
so basically what it seems to
me is that the somewhere btwn the ecu and the plugs, i’m losing signal...

does this seem like i’m on the right track?

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
Maybe the tank has been pinching some cable(s) under it and it is broken internally. If you are absolutely sure your CPS is OK, you have to check all wires under the tank for damage.

That's from a ST user and we have our fusebox right under the tank so there are lots of cables. If Daytonas don't have any wires possible for pinching (I know Daytonas have the fusebox at a different location) then I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I’m thinking you may be right... there def is a mass of the wire harness right where the back left corner of the tank comes down, and i’m thinking that it may be a broken wire in that area... prob is there’s so many wires, and i’m not sure what the best way to start looking for the culprit.. maybe start probing in that area and look for continuity from there to the ecu?
my god it sounds like a nightmare...
i can’t think of any other way to go about this tho...
thanks for your reply tho man

·
Registered
247 Posts
so i'm out at the bike again, and literally ready to pull my effing hair out. so i'm still not getting spark, and i am focusing on the cps... when i do a resistance check on it, i'm getting .213 k ohms.... is that a proper reading? and once again, when i am checking for any ac voltage, i am literally checking at the ecu plug, just to make sure that there's no breaks in the line, and i'm getting 2+/- volts while cranking... i'm pretty sure that's a correct reading as well...
so basically what it seems to
me is that the somewhere btwn the ecu and the plugs, i'm losing signal...

does this seem like i'm on the right track?
The only point where there is AC volts is at the three stator wires where they connect to the R/R.

The R/R changes the AC volts to DC volts and that is what goes to the ECU and everywhere else. So you should be measuring DC volts at the ECU, not AC volts.

Check that all the earth (ground) connections on the bike are clean and tight. Melting of the stator/R-R connector is often due to loose/dirty earth (grounds).

Good luck in finding the problem!

·
Registered
56 Posts
From past experience I would just change the CPS, reg/rec and battery. Even after we have spent ages testing electronic circuits its still hit and miss. If you're not getting a CPS signal fine its 100% gone but if you are it could still be too weak to do any good but the multi meter picks it up as theres no load on the multimeter.

https://www.ukracesupport.com/collections/triumph-daytona-675-2006-08-engine-parts

·
Registered
572 Posts
same symptoms for me

newish cps in bike, reading 210 ohms, no start, replaced with new cps, reading 210 ohms, still not start ..... jasin2, did you ever solve this problem ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried using starter fluid to see if you get spark? Maybe you're getting no fuel. Is the fuel filter clogged ? Rusted tank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts