Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for you all. My butt is killing me on my far too uncomfortable seat for my 675. I even bought the get seat and it too is far too uncomfy for me. I found this website from Corbin who makes what appears to be a much more comfortable seat.

My question is, does anyone have one of these? If so, is it all that it's cracked up to be? Is it worth the $$? They are asking $259 for it. Might be worth the cash if it is a more comfortable ride.

Any help is appreciated. Email me at [email protected]

Here is the link to the website for those interested. They make a pretty neat little trunk thing too, pretty pricy though.

http://www.corbin.com/triumph/tday6756f.shtml

·
Registered
66 Posts
I actually took a chance on the Corbin earlier this year. After about 1200 miles, I'm glad I did. The last 1000 miles with my stock seat compared to today are very distinct. The Corbin is genuine leather, high-end foam composite and some other great stuff. All leads up to a pretty comfortable seat. Great customer service too. And it looks like $300+. Those are the pros, now the cons... It's $300 after shipping and taxes. It took a good number of miles to break in to the comfort level it's at now. It's heavy compared to the stock seat, so if you're looking to cut down weight for racing... Lastly, I had to literally cut or trim down the rubber feet to make it fit easily onto the rear subframe. Nothing major, just weird. I don't know what other people think about Corbin, but I'm happy I pulled the trigger on this mod. I have NOT tried the gel seat, which a buddy of mine loves. I do not ride track (yet) so weight was not a concern for me. And I'm short so anything to comfortably lower my ride height is worth it. Hope that helps. I'm no expert product tester, but I'm happy with my purchase. Good luck, ride safe.

·
Repost Police
3,826 Posts
Corbin is way overpriced and too heavy IMO. You should look into the Triumph 675 gel seat, it's a bit heavier compared to your OEM seat but definitely lighter and cheaper than any seats made by Corbin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
...Did I mention it was heavy compared to the stock seat? ...And $300? Lemme think... Ahhh yes... :sifone:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Corbin is right in my backyard (about 30 miles away), since the 80's when ever I bought a new bike I would make a day trip out to Corbin and have them custom fit a seat for me. If you show up in person, they have a lot of flexability on fabrics, colors and shapes to fit your bum to a T.

What makes Corbin so goods is that they give you great thigh support, which is great for riding and not so great for racing. I don't care if it's heavy, that won't slow me down one bit. However, I elected not to buy one for my Daytona since it works well for me and I don't want to take away from being able to slide off the seat the way I do now.

Michael

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you guys. I really didn't expect to have so many respond in such a short time. I too am eventually going to get to the track. I've saved a ton of weight already by removing that 40 pound stock exhaust and replaced it with a carbon Leo Vince SBK. I currently just ride roads and canyons, so the weight might be a minimal worry for me. You all say it's heavy, can someone tell me exactly what kind of weight we are talking about? 10 lbs etc???

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Don't be worried about weight from switching seats. You won't notice it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To price out the seat or smuggler trunk you just click the 'ORDER' tab. The price of the trunk is $799!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY too expensive! The saddle is pricy too, but my butt and inner thighs are killing me on my longer rides; I may choke up the CA$H for the seat!

http://corbin.com/triumph/tday6756f.shtml

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Corbin is way overpriced and too heavy IMO. You should look into the Triumph 675 gel seat, it's a bit heavier compared to your OEM seat but definitely lighter and cheaper than any seats made by Corbin.
Completely agree on both points. If you want an aftermarket seat that fits and is comfortable, email Sargent and help lobby them to make one.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but I'd put my ass on naked frame rails before I gave Corbin fifty damn cents.

YMMV.

AND THAT IS MY 1900TH POST!

·
Registered
598 Posts
And not to put too fine a point on it, but I'd put my ass on naked frame rails before I gave Corbin fifty damn cents.

YMMV.
Just curious, but what's your problem with Corbin? I have the Triumph Gel Seat, and it's only good for about 150 miles, then I go numb in the... nether regions.

I just spoke with Sargent. They want $300 to modify the current seat. Sounds like there is no inexpensive route.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Just curious, but what's your problem with Corbin? I have the Triumph Gel Seat, and it's only good for about 150 miles, then I go numb in the... nether regions.
Almost TMI...:cool:

I just spoke with Sargent. They want $300 to modify the current seat. Sounds like there is no inexpensive route.
I have had two Sargents, both fit perfectly, and were very very well made. Their customer service folks are good to deal with, and I've never heard of a warranty horror story about them.

My issues with Corbin are multiple. I can boil it down to overpriced seats that are overly heavy, commonly don't fit well, backed by virtually non-existent customer service born from what seems to be a "screw you" attitude.

Having said that, the best saddle I've ever owned (and still own) is a Corbin. But, it's from about 1989-ish. Corbin brought what was essentially a moving van full of saddles to a BMW rally I attended. I sold two saddles at that rally, bought the new Corbin and rode it home. That was after a test ride that I took with their saddle on my bike, no security deposit, no ID, nothing. They had even offered to build my saddle custom, and bring it to the rally, and give me the "rally" price.

About three years later, I got one for another BMW; not as nicely made, but an improvement over the OE saddle, but had to be fiddled with to get it to fit.

Another two years or so later, their rally presence was an independent vendor with no saddles to try, none to sell, and a surly willingness to sell at full retail plus shipping. I bought one through the dealer, which took forever to get here and weighed easily four times what the OE saddle weighed. It fit poorly, and damaged the bodywork on the one or two rides I used it on before selling it.

The web is rife with stories of seam failures, poor fitting seat pans, warranty issues and "buzz off" answers from their customer service. There are also plenty who are happy, particularly cruiser types for whom a long ride is an hour.

Like I said. I'd sit on the rails before I sent any money to 'em.

·
Registered
598 Posts
FastOF - thanks for the insight on Corbin. Since Sargent and Corbin work out to be the same price --except I have to send them an oem seat to customize-- I'll try Sargent. I guess I'll either buy a second oem seat, or wait until winter and do it then.

Customer Service is important to me, especially if I'm going to drop 300 on a stupid seat.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
FastOF - thanks for the insight on Corbin. Since Sargent and Corbin work out to be the same price --except I have to send them an oem seat to customize-- I'll try Sargent. I guess I'll either buy a second oem seat, or wait until winter and do it then.

Customer Service is important to me, especially if I'm going to drop 300 on a stupid seat.
If you can't get something worked out, I could loan you my OE seat for shipping cost while yours is gone. I've got the gel seat.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts