Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately, after a ride I get some coolant on the outside of the fairing/frame slider. This picture is not my picture, but the red area is where the coolant appears.

It's almost as if it's splashing out of the hole in the fairing. The coolant level in the res. is fine, there's not coolant spraying all over, it's just a splash.

It's on the outside of the fairing and the frame slider, again.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Need a better picture. Check your radiator cap and the upper hose clamp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need a better picture. Check your radiator cap and the upper hose clamp.
That's my first thought, just wanted to get an idea as to see if this is a common issue. I was fussing about under the fairing this weekend while changing my oil, so that may have nudged something loose.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
That's my first thought, just wanted to get an idea as to see if this is a common issue. I was fussing about under the fairing this weekend while changing my oil, so that may have nudged something loose.

thanks!
No problem, I have had issues with both of my 675's in relation to this. My 2007 race bike was leaking from the large upper hose that connects to the radiator (just below the radiator cap). I just tightened the hose clamp and put some high temperature sealer around it.. no problem since then.

My 2008 675 spewed from the radiator cap, happened for awhile and has since stopped. Just made sure it was tight before every ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took off the radiator cap and the reservoir cap last night, checked them out, no holes or anything. Sealed them back up, checked all the lines, everything seems dry. The black plastic piece that sits on top of the fairing has no residue or wetness inside it either.

But lo-and-behold, on my way to work today, splitting lanes, I actually heard what sounded like an air compressor echo off of the sides of one of the cars I was next to. Psssst Psssst.

Look down, frame slider and fairing have spots of coolant on them. The reservoir is right between full and empty, right where it's supposed to be, and the radiator is full to the brim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So does that mean you still don't know what's happening, or have you worked it out?
No I haven't figured it out, but I just took some pics and with the flash I see residue on the radiator below the cap, which leads me to believe it's either that or the overflow hose for sure.

Here's a couple pics, you can see a spot of coolant on the fairing in the 2nd one. It basically seems like it's spraying out of the hole, from the front towards the back, as the frame slider gets a lot of coolant on it.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Leaking elbow maybe???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Leaking elbow maybe???
I dunno, I'm gunna take the fairing off all the way this weekend and take a good look. I dunno why it would just start all of a sudden though. Didn't notice until I changed my oil, so I may have tweaked something when taking the fairing off.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Long shot but check out the welds around the filler neck. It may just be a hose clamp that needs tightening. I'd suggest you run the motor for a while with the fairing off, that might help you detect it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Long shot but check out the welds around the filler neck. It may just be a hose clamp that needs tightening. I'd suggest you run the motor for a while with the fairing off, that might help you detect it.
That was part of the plan. I tried running it the other night with just the black top piece off but couldn't really see too much. Thanks for the tip about the welds, that would be the last thing I'd expect to go.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Ah, didn't think to mention the hose clamps. I changed mine out when I did my coolant flush. Now that you mention it I had the same issue and thought it was my elbow. Did the flush and reattached the hoses with new clamps from AutoZone and haven't had an issue since (over a year now).

·
Registered
442 Posts
maybe a rock or something took out one of the fins in the rad and it's causing a leak, i would clean everything and take off the left side fairing start the bike and try to find the culprit

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybe a rock or something took out one of the fins in the rad and it's causing a leak, i would clean everything and take off the left side fairing start the bike and try to find the culprit
It's coming from right where the cap/elbow are also the radiator is dry as far as I can see.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you have checked the cap and the reservoir hose for being tight.....and are sure that you have eliminated those issues...maybe really degrease the radiator and check it for a pinhole.......a small amount of fluid can go a long way.
sorry didn't read all the post before posting

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you have checked the cap and the reservoir hose for being tight.....and are sure that you have eliminated those issues...maybe really degrease the radiator and check it for a pinhole.......a small amount of fluid can go a long way.
sorry didn't read all the post before posting
So I took the fairing all the way off yesterday, and the upper hose was like 3 turns loose on the hose clamp. So I tightened everything up, went for a ride and it worked well.

On my way to work this morning, some woman hung an illegal U-turn over the double yellow about 20 feet in front of me, so all the help was for nothing :(

I'm really sad, bike is totalled.

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Aww :itsok: At least, it died in good health, and you're OK, so that's the main thing. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts