Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to a good friend of mine who is a former formula xtreme racer. I'm always digging for tips from this guy and we got to talking about Fontana because I go there and I want the pro angle of course. Anyway, last track day I had a bit of a moment in turn 13 when I passed inside on 12 so had a crappy line into 13 with too little throttle and pushed the front a touch(actually two short little slides). Now those of us who know 13(left hander), fear that hump in the middle of the track and run inside, there are many lowsides there running wide. The problem is you come into 12 so hard that 13 is such a quick transition it is hard to get composed and back on throttle. I've seen AMA races and I know that they cut the corner on 13 so I know where to be, but I never thought about really nailing the throttle to push through and that is exactly what he told me to do. I know I've done it because my riding buddy has commented that I've left rubber in that turn, I just wasn't conscious of it. Anyway, it is probably the best tip I can give there to go fast. If you hit 12 well, nail the throttle into 13 because the slight hump in the track demands that you keep the weight off the front.

Would be interested to hear other locals on that turn.

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
Hmm... Honestly, I've never given that corner too much thought. I generally know where I want to be on that corner, but since it's kind of a slower corner, I just try to go through there smoothly and not try to rush it. Then again, I'm not the fastest guy through there (well, faster than most everyone here, but that doesn't really count :biggrinjester:).

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
If you stick way inside on 13 you've got yourself a mini straight to 14/15, so of course stay on the throttle. If you go wide though you're kinda screwed no matter what. Off the throttle you tuck the front, on the throttle you spin the rear. I tried passing around the outside of 13 & managed to lowside spinning the rear too much.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Ive always notice I like to take a nice inside line for 13 and I know I get on the gas (but nothing too drastic) right after apexing 12. I remember watching AMA practices and seeing and hearing the riders give it some gas in between 12 and 13 so I followed suit. Never thought of the reason why but just another case of following what the pros do.

I'll never pass on 13 because once I tried to pass on the outside and almost lost it. I don't know how I saved it but I had a total pucker moment.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that is what I'm talking about! Nobody is thinking about 13, but the fact that it sets you up so well for 14-15 like Paul says, and that it seems slow like ofcounsel says, is exactly why it deserves some respect. I find it hard to dig deep for that inside line into 13 and that is why throttle is hard to come by, you're preoccupied. But I think the track favors throttle there and you'd be rewarded to focus on dialing it up there, no maintenance, I mean dial it up to really shoot out toward 14. The infield is so flat I feel it is the only spot where you need to think about the fact that you actually have some undulation to favor a different tact, ie, the short elevation gain. Anyway, good to hear some perspectives. Since my bro and I got the GPX pro's I'll make a point to split some times through there and see what the gain is.

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
IMHO, the corners you most want to think about are:

#1, #3/4, #9 and #19.

If you want fast times, you absolutely need to nail those. I'm not saying I can actually nail them!!! But if I was thinking about how to go fast on this track, I honestly wouldn't spend my time thinking too much about #13 until I've nailed the others above first. Sure, 13 is tricky, but I'm not going to gain gobs of time there. And it's not a corner where you are in grave danger of losing the bike as long as you are patient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts