Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied to a bunch of places sort of cold call already, I was wondering if anybody knew of any powersport industry businesses that take paid internships, preferably in the U.S. I'm a third year dean's list mechanical engineer and I'm required to take a 6 month internship starting in June. Anyone have any input to where else I should apply?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, I sent a resume/ cover letter to harley, victory, polaris, rotax and a few electric bike manufacturers, but did not get too much of an answer yet. I guess its still a bit early.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Don't forget racing companies... Maybe Eric Buell is looking for an intern?

That would be sweet!!! :p

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Look at the shipbuilding yards and their engineering offices. There are yards in Bath Maine, Groton CT (where I just got a full time position), Norfolk Virginia, Pascagoula Mississippi, San Diego California, and Seattle Washington. There are engineering offices at all of those as well as many engineering companies in DC. Just a thought.

I don't think you'd get a great internship position in powersports unless you've been doing internships since freshman year. I didn't have any internships and it really hurt me when it came time for job searching. Aerospace companies are really hurting right now so you can count those out.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Aerospace companies are really hurting right now so you can count those out.
I think all companies / areas are hurting right now as it's extremely hard to find any internships. I'm a Masters student studying plant molecular biology and none of the biofuel companies are even interested.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well.... I'm in aerospace and we're hiring! They made an offer to an ME yesterday. And are looking for a couple EE's to temp, then come on full time after 90 days.

But I think aerospace in the future may well get very rough. :whistle:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you'd get a great internship position in powersports unless you've been doing internships since freshman year. I didn't have any internships and it really hurt me when it came time for job searching. Aerospace companies are really hurting right now so you can count those out.
Well hopefully I'm in luck because I'm looking for my fourth internship. My school has a pretty good co-op program I'm told, but I'm looking to get out of new jersey, where all the jobs through the school are located.

Hokie, thanks for the heads up on shipbuilding yards, I'll have a look into it.

morsetaper2, PM replied:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Unfortunately due to the current administration and all his fuckups, a lot of the defense contractors are seeing reduced budgets. I'm going into nuclear submarine design so there isn't much change. He has pretty much no say on those, luckily. I know the yard in San Diego is hurting for work and is contemplating laying off 1500 people come April if they don't get a contract signed.

My degree is in Naval Architecture, but I'm actually going to be doing mechanical engineering work in the propulsion department designing parts for the drivetrain. They have 200 job openings at the moment for various engineers so they are definitely looking for people. It's Electric Boat out of Groton, CT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.