Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’ve been searching quite a lot for this issue to try and solve it, but whilst I’ve found similar issues I haven’t found anything to be quite like what I’m experiencing.
I have a 14 plate 675 ABS. Over the past couple of months since I bought it, the clutch lever has continually been becoming slack. I didn’t think much of it to begin with and just thought it was me getting used to it, but eventually realised I needed to adjust it. First just minor adjustments and then I started to have make major ones but now I am out of play.
On the last major adjustment I made, I noticed the spring which is by the cable (see picture) was just spinning.
I have since put this back on but the issue is still there. I’ve changed the clutch cable but this hasn’t solved it either.
Any idea what this could be, I’m assuming this is now an issue inside my clutch?
thanks in advance
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part

·
Registered
520 Posts
Take off the clutch cover and measure the stack height. It’s quite possible your wear plates are too thin (below tolerance) and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just looked at the manual and have no idea. That said, if the stack height is right it must be something to do with the pull rod. All the clutches I have worked on had push rods so I can't imagine how this would fail unless the pull rod is wearing. I do notice that in the photo you posted the spring looks loose. I don't have a 675 at home to look at mine so I've no idea whether that is normal. Doesn't look it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at the manual and have no idea. That said, if the stack height is right it must be something to do with the pull rod. All the clutches I have worked on had push rods so I can't imagine how this would fail unless the pull rod is wearing. I do notice that in the photo you posted the spring looks loose. I haven't gone out and looked at mine so I've no idea whether that is normal. Doesn't look it.
The spring was just spinning freely and wasn’t actually on anything. I have since put it back on so it pulls the arm that end of the cable goes into back. But it didn’t make any difference

·
Registered
520 Posts
Unfortunately, all of that is well above my know how! Just so I can get a better understanding, what would this do and what causes it?
What causes wear? Heavy acceleration with the clutch partially engaged causes serious slippage and wear - think drag starts. Downshifting at high revs/ engine braking causes wear. In general, everytime you disengage/engage the clutch can cause a bit of wear.

If you are totally unsure about how to work on your machine, take it to a mechanic and see if you can watch and learn.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I misread your earlier post and thought you had measured the stack height. How many miles on the bike? If a lot, or hard use, then clutch plates wearing is the likely cause. As above, probably easier and cheaper to have a shop replace it unless you want to learn how to work on the bike. And buy tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I misread your earlier post and thought you had measured the stack height. How many miles on the bike? If a lot, or hard use, then clutch plates wearing is the likely cause. As above, probably easier and cheaper to have a shop replace it unless you want to learn how to work on the bike. And buy tools.
About 11,500 miles. I’m going to take it into triumph in a couple of weeks and I’ll let everyone know what the issue was. Thank you for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts