Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feck. I've done it again.

From the same people who brought you "cheap adjustable ebay levers" comes "cheap ebay radial front brake master cylinders."

Sequels are always good ... aren't they?

Anyhow, I bought a crashed 2009 SV650 to use as a track bike and found that the front brake master cylinder was shagged. Skint, as I always am, I searched for dirt cheap solutions. And I turned up a new radial front master cylinder for US$89 plus shipping.

It's this guy;

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/fatasss...A4390&rt=nc&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

The guy was great to deal with, good comms. I don't know if he has any left, but mine turned up today and I can cautiously say it looks good. Made by the same crew as make the levers, I reckon. Pack comes with the cylinder, 2X adjustable levers (brake and clutch) plus the fluid reservoir and hose.

It's gold ... and I hate gold ... but who cares? I'll post up some pics as soon as my camera batteries are charged, and more thoughts when the thing is fitted up and track tested.

Here I go again ... risking my life as a crash test dummy with cheap braking components. Oh well. It's been a good life.

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here be a pic.

I beg your forgiveness ... I think my photography has gotten even worse. Something to do with available time.

Still ... not bad for US$89 plus shipping.

Cheers!

O.B

·
Registered
946 Posts
Interesting to say the least, let us know how it goes once fitted. Very cheap option as well.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The cap is cute :thumbup:

Comparison with the OEM cylinder ?

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cap is cute :thumbup:

Comparison with the OEM cylinder ?
The cap is CUTE?

Hell, the cap narrowly missed the bin on the way to the spares box! The standard black cap is on there now. I hate bling.

O.B

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Well, I don't know what it's made of, but it looks like metal, and metal > plastic for me :)

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some early thoughts as I fit this thing ...

The pre-assembly is about the same as the cheap levers I bought awhile ago. In short, I'm disassembling and lubing as I go. I reckon this is to be expected of something at this price. Generally if I'm paying below the odds for anything, I go in with eyes wide open.

The pivot on the master cylinder lever had too much play for my liking. (You can see the pivot point just above the clicker in the photo.) I don't like any play at all, and there was a bit of horizontal slop evident. I lubed the whole thing and shimmed it with a tiny washer. No more slop.

The supplied allen head fasteners that fit the assembly to the handlebars are a bit short - they don't bite right to the ends of the threads. I replaced them with some stainless fasteners I had in the shed.

When I've replaced the brake lines (found out tonight one is split - this is a crash damaged bike ... ) I'll bleed the system ... I guess 'testing' will be done at the bike's first track day on Australia Day, January 26th.

Bear in mind I am fitting this to an SV650, not a D675 ... I'll make some comparisons soon and let you know if it would fit the D675 as well - I'm fairly confident at this stage that it would, physically, although the ratio may be another matter.

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I don't know what it's made of, but it looks like metal, and metal > plastic for me :)
Ah, I see.

Metal for me beats plastic if it's a stressed part. If it's a non stressed part like a cap, and the plastic version is lighter than the metal version, the plastic version will always get the nod.

O.B

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Well, if there's a weight problem, carbon fibre > plastic :)

I prefer "nobler" parts, and, yes, it quite often involves bling, but only the right kind of bling :biggrinjester: Just paint it flat black to sober it up !

Good thing you spotted the faulty line :thumbup: Any diary of the project ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
For probably just a $100 more you could have got a 19x18 Brembo from one of the Sponsors on this site. IMO that is the one part you don't want to go cheap on.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
just a $100 more
AKA by more than doubling the price of these :whistle: (not including the levers, if I'm not mistaken). And perhaps O.B. might know where to find Brembos 'round here.

I think there's quite a bit of paranoia involved, it's mainly just a piece of metal, not even subject to great stresses... And everything's already made in China anyway (especially "Proud to buy American" flags ^^).

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For probably just a $100 more you could have got a 19x18 Brembo from one of the Sponsors on this site. IMO that is the one part you don't want to go cheap on.
Yeah ... I know where the Brembos are and how to get them as cheap as possible, but this is a very, very low budget bike. Trust me, I'd love a Brembo 19 RCS. There's no way a cheap part like this would find its way onto my D675.

I've managed to keep my D675 and buy this track bike as well, and every dollar counts, literally. An extra $100 on this project, in this case, can help fund other parts I need to make it trackworthy - rearset risers, a secondhand top cowl, whatever.

I wouldn't recommend going cheap on a part like this to everyone, but trust me, I will take this down to its every last component part and check it before it's fitted. I'm already finding some little problems, but if I'm careful about this, I should be fine.

I certainly wouldn't recommend just taking a part like this out of the box, bolting it on and riding off into the sunset.

Once I get the lines sorted out, I'll report back on the functionality of this baby.

O.B

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Yeah ... I know where the Brembos are and how to get them as cheap as possible, but this is a very, very low budget bike. Trust me, I'd love a Brembo 19 RCS. There's no way a cheap part like this would find its way onto my D675.

I've managed to keep my D675 and buy this track bike as well, and every dollar counts, literally. An extra $100 on this project, in this case, can help fund other parts I need to make it trackworthy - rearset risers, a secondhand top cowl, whatever.

I wouldn't recommend going cheap on a part like this to everyone, but trust me, I will take this down to its every last component part and check it before it's fitted. I'm already finding some little problems, but if I'm careful about this, I should be fine.

I certainly wouldn't recommend just taking a part like this out of the box, bolting it on and riding off into the sunset.

Once I get the lines sorted out, I'll report back on the functionality of this baby.

O.B
I'm glad you're gonna take your time to check out if this thing works OK. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Brakes are probably THE most important thing on a bike and I wouldn't take the chance. Doesn't matter what bike you put it on, it's your ass that's on the line and whether you're braking for a corner from 100mph on a 675 or SV650, if the brake fails then the result is the same. I'm reminded of that old saying about tools: buy cheap, buy twice.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad you're gonna take your time to check out if this thing works OK. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Brakes are probably THE most important thing on a bike and I wouldn't take the chance. Doesn't matter what bike you put it on, it's your ass that's on the line and whether you're braking for a corner from 100mph on a 675 or SV650, if the brake fails then the result is the same. I'm reminded of that old saying about tools: buy cheap, buy twice.
Hey Ruby.

I may indeed have pushed things too far with this one. That said, thus far quality looks reasonable although care in assembly here and there is somewhat lacking.

Having already spent my budget on this bike build and booked my next track day (less than a week away ...) I'm guilty of going cheap where, as you mentioned, perhaps no rider should ever go cheap. I guess we'll see.

In the end I balanced going cheap and managing to debut the bike at this next track day against delaying for another six weeks ... and what can I say, I'm a weak man. I just couldn't wait that long.

I appreciate your concern and understand your point of view. As much as I take the piss out of myself and declare my cheap nature, it's not actually normally how I roll. I own no cheap tools at all; all my stuff is trade quality, purchased back when I was doing my mechanic's apprenticeship.

Just to clarify another point; I certainly don't post this sort of stuff to encourage anyone to buy bottom-rung parts, bolt them onto their bike and just take off down the highway. I hope that readers will see these posts as something of a review of what's available, understand that I never just bolt a part onto a bike without inspecting it/assessing it/improving it first, and make up their own minds on what to buy.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress with this part - and Ruby, I appreciate your feedback. (Bloody nice bike, by the way!)

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bottom line is, you on your "cheap" track bike can probably smoke 95% of us (including me) on the track! Great job O.B!
Ha! Don't bet on it ... I'm not about to set the world on fire.

But thanks anyhow! And look on the bright side ... if the cheap brake master cylinder fails on the track, perhaps it will help my corner speed?

O.B

·
Registered
112 Posts
But thanks anyhow! And look on the bright side ... if the cheap brake master cylinder fails on the track, perhaps it will help my corner speed?
It'll certainly help your exit speed :rofl:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
:laugh:

And it's totally not the same as using them on the street.

You used to need the same care when using cheap chinese airsoft guns, or else they would fail, and it's become far better these last two years... Teaches you mechanics in the meantime :coolgleamA:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts