·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Mod & "Resident Baller"...
7,797 Posts
What'd you offer him Al? $6K? :laugh:
Actually, no. I only offered him 5k:nod: Here is what I said to him before all of his wanky posts were deleted:

"It's very nice. Good luck with the sale.

Understand, however, that this bike, while very nice, cannot be raced at the professional level here in the U.S., because it violates several technical requirements.

As a historical piece, it hasn't won any races. So there isn't much value there either.

It can make a very nice decoration.

So, it was good that you were able to buy it as a charitable contribution to the organization.

But if you bought it as an investment or bought it thinking you could re-sell it for more, then you likely made a mistake.

I can offer you 5k if you are interested. It's probably worth 8 to 10k to the right buyer, but 5k is all I can afford. It would make good club level racer with WERA or WSMC in the right classes. "

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I want it..................................
I will overbid you Al.
I'll pay 7 grand :whistle:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the person won it for cheap and now is trying to get rich off of it? The real question is does it cost that much to build one from scratch? Like you said since Chaz didn't win on it it doesn't have that appeal so there is no extra value there.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
So the person won it for cheap and now is trying to get rich off of it? The real question is does it cost that much to build one from scratch? Like you said since Chaz didn't win on it it doesn't have that appeal so there is no extra value there.
He didn't win it "for cheap," it was over $50k as I recall. As for build cost, ask TJ at Riders Discount; they've probably spent as much or more. I bet you could build one pretty close in performance for $50k.

·
7,797 Posts
He didn't win it "for cheap," it was over $50k as I recall. As for build cost, ask TJ at Riders Discount; they've probably spent as much or more. I bet you could build one pretty close in performance for $50k.
I would say probably about 50k would get you something pretty close to that level, brand new. Chaz said they were not using Traction control or lots of sophisticated electronics. And this guy's spec sheet bears that out. And remember, they use stock forks with internals, stock wheels, stock brake calipers.

So the Triumph is not nearly as expensive or sophisticated as the Yamaha, Honda or the Kawi's.

And yeah, the guy never even responded to my offer. What a loser....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Who needs Chaz Davies bike when you can get all the same technology in a 675R?!

Interesting that they give some fairly specific suspension details. Worthless information without know other facts? Sure. Still a bit surprising it's posted up there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The real question is does it cost that much to build one from scratch?
No, not even close. Especially considering their Tech rules won't let them change some things that are normally big ticket items (forks, wheels etc).

My 675 is a Superbike and it doesn't have anywhere near that in it.

Ohlins 30mm kit
Ohlins TTX shock
Superbike engine build with 14:1 compression, tuned for U4.4
STM Slipper clutch
Brembo Calipers and brake pads
Brembo 19RCS Master Cyl with remote adjuster
Galfer Superbike Rotors front and rear
BST Carbon Fiber wheels
Attack Triple clamps
Scotts damper
Lightweight subframe and fairing stay
520 Chain kit and various sprockets
Bazzaz Z-FI unit with Traction Control with remote adjuster
Ceramic bearings in wheels and transmission
Pro-Bolt Titanium bolts everywhere
Woodcraft rearsets
Akra exhaust (modified headers and cat removed)
BMC Race filter
Carbon Fiber front and rear huggers
Lightweight battery
GB Racing "crash bundle"
Renthal clip-ons
Keyless gas cap
Sharkskinz bodywork

I reckon that is about it, i might be forgetting a couple of things but that is the jist of it.

The bike has ~33-35k in it and Chaz's bike is less modified than that.

"Worth" is a relative term. If he had won the Championship on it, maybe. But he didnt...he didnt even win a race.....and the bike is nowhere near modified enough to justify that kind of asking price.

Personally, i wouldnt give over 8-9k for it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No, not even close. Especially considering their Tech rules won't let them change some things that are normally big ticket items (forks, wheels etc).

My 675 is a Superbike and it doesn't have anywhere near that in it.

Ohlins 30mm kit
Ohlins TTX shock
Superbike engine build with 14:1 compression, tuned for U4.4
STM Slipper clutch
Brembo Calipers and brake pads
Brembo 19RCS Master Cyl with remote adjuster
Galfer Superbike Rotors front and rear
BST Carbon Fiber wheels
Attack Triple clamps
Scotts damper
Lightweight subframe and fairing stay
520 Chain kit and various sprockets
Bazzaz Z-FI unit with Traction Control with remote adjuster
Ceramic bearings in wheels and transmission
Pro-Bolt Titanium bolts everywhere
Woodcraft rearsets
Akra exhaust (modified headers and cat removed)
BMC Race filter
Carbon Fiber front and rear huggers
Lightweight battery
GB Racing "crash bundle"
Renthal clip-ons
Keyless gas cap
Sharkskinz bodywork
:thumbup:

Splooge.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Wow, what and ad. Looks like the guy spent a good three days writing all that crap. I love the way he lists things like sprockets and head gaskets (like the bike can run with 5 head gaskets installed at once :laugh:)

Obviously, this is someone who's not familiar with race bikes. All you have to put down is "Chaz Davis' 2010 bike" and some photos. Anyone who's willing to pay 1/2 that amount knows what they're buying.

The 145HP claim is total BS. The Tenkate Hondas are dynoing at 149 max, with an average of 145 in race trim. There's no way the Triumph is coming even close.

But back to the Bike:

Less super than a superbike? Um, take a look at the photo of the clip ons. You'll see the controls for the Marinelli electronics as well as BiTubo suspension. Those electronics start at 15K and the fork tube inserts are roughly 5K (if memory serves correctly).

Then there's the custom full race dual radiator set up, custom brake mounts/quick change set up, custom heat exchanger and other "can't buy me" sort of parts. WSS is far from any 'stock' series that I've seen. To build one of these is well over $50K, plus time needed for people to set it up and keep it running. Don't think the motors last more than a few races at best.

Strange that items like wheels, tripples, and fork tubes are restricted to stock when so much high $$$ stuff is legal. I guess they just want the bike to 'look' stocker than their WSBK brothers.

Regarding AMA classes, I think it should quality for Superbike as long as you ditch the electronics. Not sure it'll make the grid though.

Either way, I'd gladly shell out $10K for it today. :nod:

·
7,797 Posts
Wow, what and ad. Looks like the guy spent a good three days writing all that crap. I love the way he lists things like sprockets and head gaskets (like the bike can run with 5 head gaskets installed at once :laugh:)

Obviously, this is someone who's not familiar with race bikes. All you have to put down is "Chaz Davis' 2010 bike" and some photos. Anyone who's willing to pay 1/2 that amount knows what they're buying.

The 145HP claim is total BS. The Tenkate Hondas are dynoing at 149 max, with an average of 145 in race trim. There's no way the Triumph is coming even close.

But back to the Bike:

Less super than a superbike? Um, take a look at the photo of the clip ons. You'll see the controls for the Marinelli electronics as well as BiTubo suspension. Those electronics start at 15K and the fork tube inserts are roughly 5K (if memory serves correctly).

Then there's the custom full race dual radiator set up, custom brake mounts/quick change set up, custom heat exchanger and other "can't buy me" sort of parts. WSS is far from any 'stock' series that I've seen. To build one of these is well over $50K, plus time needed for people to set it up and keep it running. Don't think the motors last more than a few races at best.

Strange that items like wheels, tripples, and fork tubes are restricted to stock when so much high $$$ stuff is legal. I guess they just want the bike to 'look' stocker than their WSBK brothers.

Regarding AMA classes, I think it should quality for Superbike as long as you ditch the electronics. Not sure it'll make the grid though.

Either way, I'd gladly shell out $10K for it today. :nod:
The bike didn't have the Magnetti Marelli stuff as far as Chaz has been saying. The buttons on the left could be for the muliple maps and the "pit speed" buttons that you can get to function on the Triumph TRACS system. Chaz said he didn't have TC or other more advanced electronics on the Triumph in an interview last week. He said it was totally without electronic aids and that's why he was always backing the bike into the corners, and that the biggest difference for him now that he's on the Yamaha.

The radiator can be bought for about 500 Euros from the company that makes them in Italy. SO that's not so hard to get either. Someone posted a link to them a few weeks ago as well.

And it wouldn't qualify for the AMA because most of the parts on that bike are not homologated for racing here in the US.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
He may have it dialed down to zero by end of year, but they had the full Marelli system on the bike. Saw it in person at Salt Lake City.

Here's a quote from Superbike Planet, June of 2010:

"Another point of contention between DiSalvo and the team was the availability of an updated Magneti Marelli ECU system, which the team was slowly implementing. DiSalvo didn't use the new ECU system until two or three rounds before he left the team.

Again, Davies sounded ambivalent, like he didn't want to embroil himself in a situation that he wasn't directly involved in, but did say that the difference in horsepower between the two systems was, at most, one-and-a-half horsepower. He pointed out that DiSalvo's teammate on his side of the garage, Matthieu Lagrive, who came into the series even later than DiSalvo, finished fourth at Monza using the older Marelli system."

I spoke a few times with a former team owner who spend some time in the WSS Triumph pits. That bike was pretty advanced vs. a typical Daytona that we could build/buy.

I got some high res close up picts at home. I'll see if i can dig them up and post them. Some pretty cool stuff on that bike.

·
7,797 Posts
He may have it dialed down to zero by end of year, but they had the full Marelli system on the bike. Saw it in person at Salt Lake City.

Here's a quote from Superbike Planet, June of 2010:

"Another point of contention between DiSalvo and the team was the availability of an updated Magneti Marelli ECU system, which the team was slowly implementing. DiSalvo didn't use the new ECU system until two or three rounds before he left the team.

Again, Davies sounded ambivalent, like he didn't want to embroil himself in a situation that he wasn't directly involved in, but did say that the difference in horsepower between the two systems was, at most, one-and-a-half horsepower. He pointed out that DiSalvo's teammate on his side of the garage, Matthieu Lagrive, who came into the series even later than DiSalvo, finished fourth at Monza using the older Marelli system."

I spoke a few times with a former team owner who spend some time in the WSS Triumph pits. That bike was pretty advanced vs. a typical Daytona that we could build/buy.

I got some high res close up picts at home. I'll see if i can dig them up and post them. Some pretty cool stuff on that bike.
Cool! I'll take your word on it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts