Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I am a noob wrench but want to learn how to replace my chain and sprocket. In the middle of the job and realized that my front sprocket height was different then what came off my bike. Looking back at my order it looks like I ordered a chain and sprocket kit for a 675 by accident vs. my 675r.

So it looks like I need to get the correct front sprocket, but I was curious if the rear sprocket and chain (assuming this is fine) need to be reordered too?
I am not sure if thickness on the rear sprocket comes into play but they appear to be the same heights any way to tell by manuals or info?

Thanks

· Registered
556 Posts
Hello-

I am a noob wrench but want to learn how to replace my chain and sprocket. In the middle of the job and realized that my front sprocket height was different then what came off my bike. Looking back at my order it looks like I ordered a chain and sprocket kit for a 675 by accident vs. my 675r.

So it looks like I need to get the correct front sprocket, but I was curious if the rear sprocket and chain (assuming this is fine) need to be reordered too?
I am not sure if thickness on the rear sprocket comes into play but they appear to be the same heights any way to tell by manuals or info?

Thanks
You don't say whether your bike is a street or a daytona or what year it is. Would be useful to include that information. However for this issue, it doesn't matter as the R and non-R versions run the same chain and size sprockets. If the front sprocket that came with your kit is different than what is on the bike, it is quite likely the previous owner changed it out. The follow on question is - when they changed it, did they also shift from the standard 525 gauge chain to a 520?

If you ordered the sprockets and chain as a set, you'll be fine as they will all be the same gauge.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, looks like the previous owner had the stock @525 and I bought a 520 conversion kit so everything checks out. Had to learn that 525 and 520 are the sizing and that makes sense why everything is shorter. Thanks for the reply!

· Registered
556 Posts
525 and 520 are measurements of the width of the chain not the diameter of sprockets.

· Registered
180 Posts
Usually you order the 520 conversion kit. Comes with the front and rear sprockets and chain. Chain is usually long on purpose. I had to take 3 links off to make it fit right in the middle so I can adjust it to my liking. Daytona 675+

1 - 5 of 5 Posts