Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this question is allowed here.

I bought myself a 2016 Street Triple 675 r, crystal white pearl, earlier this year.
I've also recently discovered carbonfbr.com, and would like to get some carbon fiber parts from them over winter and install them..

I was curious, given this material is praised for lightness.. does anyone that's swapped stock parts out for carbon fiber know for sure if it's lighter than what it's replacing?

I was thinking the windscreen, upper and lower chain guards, and subframe infills to start.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If lightening the load is your goal, then there are much better ways to save weight tha those bits.

Reactions: Far Canal

·
Registered
523 Posts
You want to save weight?

Start with big items - switch to a Lithium battery. Dump all unnecessary accessories. Switch to a 520 chain and aluminum rear sprocket. Replace all bolts with titanium. Replace rear subframe with aluminum. Go carbon wheels. Go crazy expensive. But replacing the few bits you mentioned -meh.

Don’t eat a Big Mac and you have saved more weight than those bits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Far Canal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You want to save weight?

Start with big items - switch to a Lithium battery. Dump all unnecessary accessories. Switch to a 520 chain and aluminum rear sprocket. Replace all bolts with titanium. Replace rear subframe with aluminum. Go carbon wheels. Go crazy expensive. But replacing the few bits you mentioned -meh.

Don’t eat a Big Mac and you have saved more weight than those bits.
Yes, I know, but I'm just curious of it does.
Basically, these are small parts, and I'm just wondering if there is weight savings. Basically I was looking at the parts and thinking "hm, these are so small, I wonder if it even saves anything". I'm not counting on it, and I'm buying because carbon fiber is sexy, but my question was just academic really.

now, as far as titanium bolts go, you have to be careful with those, right? The different metals will react with each other?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts