Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good multi tool to carry with me on rides. Does anyone make a tool specifically designed for triumphs, that comes with the most common socket and hex sizes on the bike? Or is there even a good multi tool for motorcycles in general?

This is a good time to make fun of the "tool kit" that comes with our bikes. I can't believe that the "tool kit" is simply a cheap phillips/flathead screwdriver that's located in an area of the bike (under the passenger seat) where you need a tool (that doesn't come with the bike) to be able to access it. What a ripoff! I remember making fun of the guy trying to sell the bike to me at the dealership about it.

Anyways, post some pics! Make some suggestions!

It would be nice to see a tool that has an innovative way of stashing itself, such as clipping to a bracket that's mounted to the frame, etc.

Here are a couple cool bicycle multi tools that I like.

And this one is the coolest... it stashes in the center tube..

·
Banned
365 Posts
shorten that bloody headstem!
Have you seen 127 hours?
If you have you will know to buy a leatherman.

I just use my Park Tool and some other junk Shoved under there.

*btw is that a lefty? I was thinking how would you fit a tool in a normal sized headtube

·
Registered
631 Posts
I carry a Gerber set of folding pliers under my seat with a little foldaway socket set and some bits. Tight fit!
Snap-On make very nice short spanners too, 8, 10 and 12mm should be all you need.
Had to move my alarm to behind the seat, just enough room between the tail plastic and the plastic sub frame bracket whatsit behind it.
If you have a cowl instead of the pillion seat you can gut most of the plastic under that and keep a tyre repair kit for the odd flat too.
And get a little role of duct tape, tear out the cardboard centre and flatten it, wrap a bit of tape around it to hold it flat and wedge it under the cross brace that supports the front clip of your pillion seat.
Don't forget a little plastic bag with spare fuses and a chain link in that void at the front of your battery.
Nylon cable ties! Lots of spots for them…
And $100 in twenty's in a water tight bag stuck somewhere safe.
Bin the Allan key from Triumph, it's made of pretend, get a proper one!

·
Banned
365 Posts
I carry a Gerber set of folding pliers under my seat with a little foldaway socket set and some bits. Tight fit!
Snap-On make very nice short spanners too, 8, 10 and 12mm should be all you need.
Had to move my alarm to behind the seat, just enough room between the tail plastic and the plastic sub frame bracket whatsit behind it.
If you have a cowl instead of the pillion seat you can gut most of the plastic under that and keep a tyre repair kit for the odd flat too.
And get a little role of duct tape, tear out the cardboard centre and flatten it, wrap a bit of tape around it to hold it flat and wedge it under the cross brace that supports the front clip of your pillion seat.
Don't forget a little plastic bag with spare fuses and a chain link in that void at the front of your battery.
Nylon cable ties! Lots of spots for them…
And $100 in twenty's in a water tight bag stuck somewhere safe.
Bin the Allan key from Triumph, it's made of pretend, get a proper one!
love those google translations, no offense

Good advice tho. I keep a $20 under my Helmet lining. If it was $100 it wouldn't stay in there Long
A 14m socket is a must if you adjust your suspension on the fly too.
Tubeless tyres dont flat much, but I might have been lucky so far, and
I can barely fit the manual under the rear pillion/cowl.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I might just put together a little set of tools that includes a 10mm and 14mm socket, allen wrench, phillips and flathead screwdrivers, zip ties, mini tire pressure gauge, electrical tape, and a set of small channel lock pliers.

It would be cool if Triumph made a nice multi tool or tool kit besides the crappy screwdriver that goes underneath the seat that you can only access with an allen head wrench.

Homer

·
Registered
208 Posts
Who makes the one that fits in the center tube?
I may get one for my MT. Bike
Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Leatherman Wave with the optional set of extra bits. You might also find the optional belt clip useful for fixing somewhere on the bike.

As a very old biker I find that a hammer and a pair of Molegrips do most jobs.

Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use a small micro tool, it contains all common items like all hex's and a screw driver; Needless to say it is the lightest thing I have come across and has come in more than handy for numerous occasions, both cycling and motorcycle related.

I believe it's called micro 9.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
+1 on the Leatherman or similar product. The Gerber multi-tools are a bit more centered around the Plier feature, whereas the Leatherman is not. SOG multi-tools are a great product as well. They all pretty much have a lifetime warranty too.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
+1 on the Leatherman or similar product. The Gerber multi-tools are a bit more centered around the Plier feature, whereas the Leatherman is not. SOG multi-tools are a great product as well. They all pretty much have a lifetime warranty too.
+1 on Leatherman tools.

I've had one under my seat or in my pocket anytime I've been on a bike for many years now. Good quality and very handy. Very bloody sharp knife blades, too!

O.B

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wore out a couple of Leatherpersons over the years, IMHO they are designed for emergency/occaisional use; but if used continuosly the hinges will wear and get sloppy. After a while I became dependant on the things; I've lost track of how many bikes and cars I have fixed on 'the side of the road' with them. The tool I use (wear) now and have for five years is a Victorinox Swiss Tool which is far more rugged than the L/Men
http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1008/3.0323.L
No slop in the pliers or hinges, I'll replace the thing when the blade is too worn to sharpen.
The other tool I carry is a Teng 1400B ratchet, it's available in a little boxed kit with screwdriver tips and sockets which WILL FIT next to the battery under the seat of a Daytona (series 1 at least). It's the best tool for fairing removal around: http://www.teng.co.uk/product-details.asp?prod_id=488
BTW: the allen key you need to remove the pillion seat to get at the POS screwdriver is clipped in under the riders seat...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.