Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taking apart an '08 675 because it has no service history. The paint in the groove for the valve cover gasket is coming off the metal.
Would you scrape it all away and just have the gasket sitting metal to metal? I'm feeling the groove shouldn't have even been painted.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
317 Posts
Taking apart an '08 675 because it has no service history. The paint in the groove for the valve cover gasket is comld ing off the metal.
Would you scrape it all away and just have the gasket sittinoulg metal to metal? I'm feeling the groove shouldn't have even been painted. View attachment 260192
Could be old paint although wth is paint doing there? Or could be dried up RTV.

Either way old stuff needs to come out. Use an old rag and peel off what you can. Use tender care for whatever’s stuck. You can use some very fine grit (P1000+) sand paper in the end just to smooth off the mating surfaces.

Put in a new gasket with RTV at the corners like the manual recommends and you’re done.

Don’t cheap out or do it in a hurry cos that’s a sure way into a pesky oil leak that’ll have you repeat the whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolts securing it were finger tight. There was zero rtv anywhere. I'm surprised paint was there, unsure if this is standard on Triumphs.

I'll strip the groove back to metal, but plan on reusing the gasket, it feels like it has a decent amount of life left in it and this is a no-start condition bike with unknown issues so I'm not going to be spending any more than I need to until I figure out what's broken.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The bolts securing it were finger tight. There was zero rtv anywhere. I'm surprised paint was there, unsure if this is standard on Triumphs.

I'll strip the groove back to metal, but plan on reusing the gasket, it feels like it has a decent amount of life left in it and this is a no-start condition bike with unknown issues so I'm not going to be spending any more than I need to until I figure out what's broken.
Engine cases / covers are black powder coated and not painted. Mating surfaces are not painted or powder coated. Yours were probably repainted and someone did a crappy job masking the mating surfaces and retightening the bolts to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts